.243 rifle

Any chaps or chapesses on here recommend rifle and rifle and scope combinations for all round use? I'm in the market for an allround rifle for mainly deer and foxing use. Anyone have a decent setup for sale? Moderator cut or with moderator preferred.

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Any chaps or chapesses on here recommend rifle and rifle and scope combinations for all round use? I'm in the market for an allround rifle for mainly deer and foxing use. Anyone have a decent setup for sale? Moderator cut or with moderator preferred.

In my opinion I wouldn't buy one second hand because the barrel may been worn out. Go for 8X56 scope the best you can afford.

Get a brand new Remington or Savage. Don't stray to any other make - the Remington and Savage have a faster twist which gets you the versatility to shoot 100gr bullets well - they're not marginal for those rifles, they are for a 1:10.

Both makes should shoot lighter fox bullets too - let's not have the debate on whether you can or should use them for deer!

i use a sako finnlight in.243 with a schmidt and bender 8x56 hungarian scope and a wildcat sound mod,does the job for me on fox and roe :thumbs: its also a 1 in 10 twist and shoots 100grain federal premium for deer and hornady 58 grain for fox occasionally,usually stick to 100 grain for everything as no need to keep changing th zero :clapper:

Get a brand new Remington or Savage. Don't stray to any other make - the Remington and Savage have a faster twist which gets you the versatility to shoot 100gr bullets well - they're not marginal for those rifles, they are for a 1:10.

Both makes should shoot lighter fox bullets too - let's not have the debate on whether you can or should use them for deer!

savage rifles are getting very good reviews at the moment for accuracy. and triggers out the box.

also there very easy to rebarrel from what ive seen on the net. a job most people can do themself

Yes lets not eh Logic.. Only recommend what you have had experience with that way every one gets the truth..

For an all round Deer rifle you need to be looking for something a little stronger than a 243 Bert ;)

If your going down the route of one rifle for Deer/Fox then 25.06,260 rem, 6.5 or 308 obviously steer clear of the exotic calibres..

Yes lets not eh Logic.. Only recommend what you have had experience with that way every one gets the truth..

For an all round Deer rifle you need to be looking for something a little stronger than a 243 Bert ;)

If your going down the route of one rifle for Deer/Fox then 25.06,260 rem, 6.5 or 308 obviously steer clear of the exotic calibres..

I am recommending what I've had experience with, that's how I work Vim - perhaps you should read my posts, I've said that before.

Anyway, I'll give you the 25-06, a good all-round calibre since you do still get decent fast, flat varmint bullets if you so wish. The others are deer calibres, which will also kill foxes at a medium range, therefore not a true all-rounder - this should be capable of doing either role and doing it well enough that it's not a compromise.

i simply can't understand why some don't rate the .243 as a deer round, its shot everything for me i've pointed it at...

in fact i went to great expense getting a semi-custom built and guess what i stuck with the .243 win......

If its a general truely dual purpose calibre your after the .243 is up there with the rest.....

long range vermin and deer..... one of the most popular calibres in the world means it has to be doing something right....

BUT....

Its all down to personal choice.....

shoot a few different calibres if you can.... then only you can decide, for a dual purpose i'd put a vari. mag scope on it though,

something like 4.5x16x50 or 6.5x20x50

ATB.

Snap.

Medium ranges :laugh:

You do know the correct way to show inexperience don't you Logic,lol

If you can hit the fox with the more loopy trajectories then sure the others will work, they have plenty of energy. But in terms of a useful foxing round, for night work and so on, too much adjustment required. 243 with light bullets wins hands down.

In terms of inexperience, I'll admit to red deer, but on foxes and roe, sorry Vim, you're talking rubbish again.

I got my variation all done and dusted for 243 because as some on here have rightly said it is a good allround rifle. I've shot different types at all sorts and on my shoot it is mainly fallow which a 100 grain sorts out quite nicely with a well placed close range neck shot or boiler house at longer ranges. I just wanted peoples opinions on different rifles really as i have been using a friends tikka t3 with varmint barrel and that is a lovely rifle but i can only find them brand new at the minute so by the time ive added a mod and scope it will start getting a bit pricey! I think people talk alot of rubbish about calibres on here, you dont need elephant guns for anything bigger than a muntjac! I've shot foxes with my .22 and subsonic rounds at 80 yards, now this isn't a boast and i wouldn't advocate that all you need for foxes is a rimfire! In that situation i had been shooting rabbits from my quad at that range and dropping them with head shots every time so when charlie appeared in the distance and came in to a squeak i shot him straight through the eye you could barely see that he'd been shot. I know you can't do this everytime same as you can't neck shoot a fallow everytime but the right tool in the right place is better than a bigger tool in the wrong place or so my missus tells me.