Gundog Choice

Ok as some of you may have seen I’m after a Gundog this is not an instant buy so no particular rush I can wait to find the right breed of dog BUT

The wife doesn’t want a Spaniel or a retriever and neither of use want a Labrador, She mentioned a Red Setter but after reading some replies on another forum I’m not keen I have shown her a Clumber spaniel and she ok. The Size don’t bother me too much as we have a 35kg boxer and a sturdy staff at 20kg. But some people have said that a working clumber is hard to find

So what other choices do I have?

I wish to train or at least try to train it to flush birds, rabbits and retrieve

I wish to train or at least try to train it to flush birds, rabbits and retrieve

Then one of the HPR breeds would be ideal. There are several to choose from, none of which are especially easy to train but all are well worth the effort. I'm a Weimaraner fan myself but also like the Spinone and German Wirehaired Pointer.

GWP mate, a good all rounder.

What ever you decide make sure you research the breed, depending on how much work you give them some HPR's can be a hand full, but given the correct training and excercise the can be a pleasure.

Dave.