Split case shoulder .17 HMR

Hi all, I have a problem here, has anyone else experienced split case shoulders and nexks on their spent .17 HMR cases? here are 4 pics of each "type of split, they are all federal premium, of which I n=have shot around 150 of or so and about 40 or so of remington accutip and hornady, the last two don't appear to have split, but I have fewer cases of those anyway, I was wondering whether the chamber of my rifle is too open or the cases too thin? anyways here are the pics-(you can see how many rounds I have shot(or at least collected) that is a jar in which you get glace cherries, so you know how big it is)

4139183074_6cd105a389.jpg

4138420365_3864615548.jpg

4139182228_d8a4c1bf33.jpg

4138419421_58e167bc4c.jpg

4138424515_01ca8f4247.jpg

there are three of each of the "types" of splits so three of the kind where there is a tiny split in the shoulder, three where the split expends to the base of the neck and so on...

any ideas would be great!

Cheers

DB

Hi all, I have a problem here, has anyone else experienced split case shoulders and nexks on their spent .17 HMR cases? here are 4 pics of each "type of split, they are all federal premium, of which I n=have shot around 150 of or so and about 40 or so of remington accutip and hornady, the last two don't appear to have split, but I have fewer cases of those anyway, I was wondering whether the chamber of my rifle is too open or the cases too thin? anyways here are the pics-(you can see how many rounds I have shot(or at least collected) that is a jar in which you get glace cherries, so you know how big it is)

4139183074_6cd105a389.jpg

4138420365_3864615548.jpg

4139182228_d8a4c1bf33.jpg

4138419421_58e167bc4c.jpg

4138424515_01ca8f4247.jpg

there are three of each of the "types" of splits so three of the kind where there is a tiny split in the shoulder, three where the split expends to the base of the neck and so on...

any ideas would be great!

Cheers

DB

Get you........... glace cherries ya great big southern puff lol

Hi there:

Don't worry is the first thing.

I reload loads of ammo and split cases do worry me, but for one shot throw away rimfire's no problem.

The brass is the issue here, and the original manufacturer (OEM) here is using 'crap' brass and it is either to thin or work hardened or a bit of both.

I would send them some split cases, with a moaning letter, you may get some 'freebies' on the back of that?

Your rifle can contain the results of splits easily, the brass is only a convenient container of the bullet and powder anyway, so carry on regardless!

When I had a 17hmr I had several missfires with Remington ammo, were the primer fired but the main charge didn't fully ignite, the bullet went 2" up the barrel, it's just as well I knew what had happened and didn't try another one behind it!

Anyone else had this?

Andy F.