Need advice on a rifle

Hello all, I am just in the process of sending away for a FAC and am not sure on which rifle would be the best for me as it will be my first.

All I am looking to do is rabbits and the odd fox, all information will be taken on board, thanks.

Luke.

Hmm depends really. I'm guessing your looking at rim rather than centrefire so 2 choices really.

.17HMR - Flies very flat so easier to shoot, ammo is more expensive, noisier and a frangible round so makes more of a mess of the quarry.

.22LR - Loopier trajectory so need to learn your aim points and range finding, ammo is cheaper, harder bullet (so richochets can be a problem), super quiet.

I'd go .22LR as neither are really intended as a foxing rifle but will do the job if your shot is spot on. .22LR is better for bunnies overall due to it being much more able to be silenced.

Don't forget if you plan on using a silencer you need to apply for that on your FAC too.

Hmm depends really. I'm guessing your looking at rim rather than centrefire so 2 choices really.

.17HMR - Flies very flat so easier to shoot, ammo is more expensive, noisier and a frangible round so makes more of a mess of the quarry.

.22LR - Loopier trajectory so need to learn your aim points and range finding, ammo is cheaper, harder bullet (so richochets can be a problem), super quiet.

I'd go .22LR as neither are really intended as a foxing rifle but will do the job if your shot is spot on. .22LR is better for bunnies overall due to it being much more able to be silenced.

Don't forget if you plan on using a silencer you need to apply for that on your FAC too.

Seconded :yes:

We have had this debate many times before and you need 2 rifles...BUT...if you can only get one consider the .22WMR very carefully.

Not as quiet as a sub sonic .22LR (nothing is) but better on fox than either .22lr or HMR, much less likely to bounce than .22lr, and a wider choice of ammo than HMR and Cheaper than HMR.

PS. out with the HMR with 17g V-Max tonight and got a hum dinger of a ricochet on damp grass!

Hello all, I am just in the process of sending away for a FAC and am not sure on which rifle would be the best for me as it will be my first.

All I am looking to do is rabbits and the odd fox, all information will be taken on board, thanks.

Luke.

Hi there!

Get a .22 rimfire, as it's your first, trust me I've had the lot (at least 15 different rimfires over 25 years), and currently own 3 rifles at this time (1x.22 and 2x Centrefire). A decent .22 is versatile and there's plenty of of ammo to try, the 17hmr is loud and expensive to run, I had one for 18 months and traded it 'cos it was of no real use to me.

What your most important decision is what make of rifle to buy, clearly you will buy what takes your eye, but if want to listen to experience (I never have), don't get a semi-auto at any cost! The CZ varmint is hard to beat, but if you can afford it the SAKO finnfire is better, I have a SAKO finnfire varmint with a Leupold VX3 2,5>14x50 LRT on it, expensive yes but Oh it's very good, that said a CZ with a classy airgun scope is so close it's really no different.

Make sure you add 'With sound moderator' to your FAC, next question What silencer? I have settled on the good old SAK, the Wildcat whisper I had was very nicely made but for £110 it was no quieter than the £35 SAK, so you probably guessed what I think about that.

The best advice is get out there and try what you fancy, then end up with what everyone told you to get in the first place! I did and learn't a lot on the way.

Andy F.