.204 Caliber.

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi,

Anybody got any views on the .204 caliber?

I have been making up rounds for a friend of mine's 204. I will just say this - when the barrel likes the ammo that is going through it, it is an incredibly accurate tool - his will group sub .25" and I have witnessed him shoot crows range found at 265 yds.

However I would state that to get the best out of this calibre, precise homeloading is really the only way with calibre - if you are not a homeloader, then I would suggest something like the 223 or 22.250

Hi,

I have been making up rounds for a friend of mine's 204. I will just say this - when the barrel likes the ammo that is going through it, it is an incredibly accurate tool - his will group sub .25" and I have witnessed him shoot crows range found at 265 yds.

However I would state that to get the best out of this calibre, precise homeloading is really the only way with calibre - if you are not a homeloader, then I would suggest something like the 223 or 22.250

I'm planning to build one so I'm biased! For whatever reason the round seems to be very fussy about actions as well as barrels. Remington 700 appears to suit it, as does Ruger. Since Ruger designed the round in co-operation with Hornady they should work well! On the other hand people seem to have had major problems getting some of the European actions to work properly, especially Tikka.

The other thing I have learned is that you need to think hard about twist rate. Standard is 1-12. This stabilises 32gr ok but can be very marginal with 40gr and useless with 45. The advice I have had is to go for 1-11. Also, it is not a stalking calibre! You need a 26" barrel. Add the mod and you have a lot of gun to tote around.

I am not claiming to speak from experience but summing up the advice I have had. Blackloks loves his though.

RicW

Edited by RicW

Hey, ive got one and i love it.

Its quiet compared to .223/.22-250 with a good mod.

Very accurate, ive just found a load that works very well in my Remington 700 39grn Blitz Kings

also using smaller ammounts of powder make it more economic to reload.

If your homeloading you will get the best from this calibe, its very flat flying.

Its more about finding the bullet that suits your rifle, mine only seems to really like the 39grns.

Have a look at my other posts for a bit more info.

Rabbits tend to explode, nedless to say foxes dont like it...

Theres some more info on here 204ruger.com

Hey, ive got one and i love it.

Its quiet compared to .223/.22-250 with a good mod.

Very accurate, ive just found a load that works very well in my Remington 700 39grn Blitz Kings

also using smaller ammounts of powder make it more economic to reload.

If your homeloading you will get the best from this calibe, its very flat flying.

Its more about finding the bullet that suits your rifle, mine only seems to really like the 39grns.

Have a look at my other posts for a bit more info.

Rabbits tend to explode, nedless to say foxes dont like it...

Theres some more info on here 204ruger.com

Cheers Blackfox :thumbs:

bob if your planing on buling a 20 cal rifle have a look on at the 20 tac. you can get the brass all ready done now. and well speed is only just down on the 204 the accuracy is stunning. i no 3 or 4 people that have one. and there superb

Cheers Jamie :thumbs:

Hi,

personally, from what I have read, it seems a little daft, something ruger and hornady dreamt up to get some publicity and revenue, call me cynical but hey, it seems a bit light for foxes IMO, where there are better tools for the job like the .223, 22-250 and .243 etc as someone else has said, i may be great for blowing up things like gophers and prairie dogs, but i feel has limited practicality in this country, TBH, I really don't think we need any more calibres, filling tiny performance niches that we really wouldn't miss if they weren't there..... I think I may have stirred the hornets nest with this one....