a prickly question

[

Chalkwarren, reading through Whin's PRICKLY QUESTION read your post about wanting to write about lurcher health @ maintenance. There is a book called The Care and Maintenance of the Racing Greyhound , I've not got it myself but I got a look at it a while back,I reckon it's probably regarded as the greyhound bible, the authers are 3 American vets, it's packed full of information, maybe if Dan Edwards reads this he might have had a look at it and confirm what i've said I have tried to purchase it from Amazon they wanted £150 second hand, to expensive for me,regards W G H

Sounds a good read,.but as you say,.it ain't cheap... :icon_eek:

I think it is Skycat that fancies writing such a book,...not me... :thumbs:

I hope that it happens...

Regards,..CW,...

The best book I have read ,and own, on runnning dogs health is "Veterinary Advice For Greyhound Owners ", by John Kohnke.

Skycat has been writing a book as long as I have known her.

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

LIFES A GAMBLE EVERY TIME I GO DOWN THE RIVER, BOAT IN THE SEA ,BUILDING SITE OUT WITH DOGS UP TO WHATEVER MATE ,YE I NO WHAT YOU ARE SAYING DEEP , THERE SHOULDNT BE JEALOSY REALY CAUSE THE WAY I LOOK AT LIFE IF YOU SEE SOMEONE DOING SOMETHING BETER YOU SHAKE THERE HAND AND SAY HOW DID YOU DO THAT OR YOU WATCH AND SAY FECHALL AND TRY IT ,just A THOUGHT, I LIKE DEPTH AND KNOWLEDGE IN AMAN IF HEES GOOING TO [bANNED TEXT] A BOOK, AND NOT JUST ONE ABOUT SEVERAL CHARACTERS IN IT , EVEN THO IT CAN BE ENTERTAINING , CHALKIES MOOCHERS BOOK WAS A GOOD READ, THERE ONE UP HERE IN MY NECK OF THE WOODS CALLED POACHERS pIE A FUNNY BOOK BUT I NO THE CHARACTERS AND THEY WERE REAL AS I HAD BEEN WITH THERE SORTS MANY A TIME ,THING THAt just put me on to it as some poeple ask questions for anserws and its like they are gleaning to get inforrmaition to store for another day i am maybe wrong ,

if you decide to put your experiences down on paper Whin ,I would guess they would be very interesting ,just make sure you get a good translator.

NOR AM I GIRO , EVEN THO I HAVE TO READ HEALTH AND SAFETY STUFF LIKE ALOT OF BOOKS FROM OVER IN DIFFRENT COUNTRIES AS WELL ITS ABIT OF A CHANGE , CANT GIVE AN EXAMPLE BUT A CLEVER OR FRAUD COULD TAKE A COUPLE OF PAGES ON A GOOD SUBJECT PUT AFEW PICTURES IN WRITE ABOUT IT AND HEY PRESTO ANOTHER THIRTY QUID FOR NOT MUCH HARD GRAFT, IT WOULDNT BE HARD AS IVE LOOSEND UP ON SITES LIKE THIS AND THERE SOME GOOD KNOWLEDGE KICKING ABOUT IF YOU NO HOW TO UNDERSTAND IT YEARS OF PRACTICAL KNOWLEDGE AT A WHIM AND WELL SO EASY TO GLEAN IT WITH JUST ABIT EXPIERENCE ABOUT THE GAME LIKE THE PLUMMER TYPE BOOKS WHEN THEY [bANNED TEXT] ABOUT THINGS AND WELLR EALY ITS NOT THEM ITS ABOUT OTHER PEOPLE , THIS WOULD BE EASY IF YOU NO THE GAME

I can see where you are coming from Whin, but seriously, do you think that anyone would put themselves to all that trouble for just £30 quid? Incidently, why do you say £30? If that would be the cost of one book then you'd be hoping to sell a damn sight more than one copy!!!

Also, I've been thinking of doing a book on Lurcher health and maintenance but I've been assured by several publishers that they think it would be a very limited market and barely worth the cost of publishing. My problem is that although I have a fairly extensive knowledge about a lot of things, I am the original jack of all trades and master of none: on top of which I have a lousy memory LOL.

I'm continually learning new things from this and other sites on dog health etc: the internet is a never ending source of information for anyone who actually can be bothered to look and learn.

What I then do with that information, that someone has put on the internet, is down to me. If for example I wanted to do an article on feeding, I would obviously be drawing on information gathered over the net, or from books as well as personal experience: you would have to live an awfully long time to learn everything there is to know about dogs!

So you gather information, you sift through it, you compare different points of view and sources before coming up with your own conclusion. You then put that information into practice with your own dogs before writing about it. I would hate to think that there are people out there who would write about stuff they had never tried or experienced themselves, though I suppose they do exist!

My point being, thatin this day and age, with so much info on tap on the internet, I don't think that anyone other than an idiot with too much money to burn would bother to write a book based purely on what they had copied from the internet. Just my opinion.

iF YOO [bANNED TEXT] it i promish to bye a copee ,i wood [bANNED TEXT] it meself but i didnt get much skoolin.

And , as Earnest says in J .M .Barrie's "The Admirable Chrichton", "I am not young enough to know everything".

[

Chalkwarren, reading through Whin's PRICKLY QUESTION read your post about wanting to write about lurcher health @ maintenance. There is a book called The Care and Maintenance of the Racing Greyhound , I've not got it myself but I got a look at it a while back,I reckon it's probably regarded as the greyhound bible, the authers are 3 American vets, it's packed full of information, maybe if Dan Edwards reads this he might have had a look at it and confirm what i've said I have tried to purchase it from Amazon they wanted £150 second hand, to expensive for me,regards W G H

Regards,..CW,...

another good book is Veterinary advice for greyhound owners by John Kohnke can pick it up for about £30-£40 not cheap but very good i got it from car boot for 10 bob!!

[

Regards,..CW,...

another good book is Veterinary advice for greyhound owners by John Kohnke can pick it up for about £30-£40 not cheap but very good i got it from car boot for 10 bob!!

My mistake CW, Dirty Twister sounds like you got yourself a bargain, the book that I mentioned is actually called Care of the Racing Greyhound by linda L Blyhe, James R Gannon and A Morrie Craig my mate says the vets refer to it when their stumped. cheers

[

Regards,..CW,...

My mistake CW, Dirty Twister sounds like you got yourself a bargain, the book that I mentioned is actually called Care of the Racing Greyhound by linda L Blyhe, James R Gannon and A Morrie Craig my mate says the vets refer to it when their stumped. cheers

yeah i'll keep my eyes peeled for that book i've not heard of it sounds good i got a real bargain eh!!!

[

Sounds a good read,.but as you say,.it ain't cheap... icon_eek.gif

I think it is Skycat that fancies writing such a book,...not me... thumbs.gif

Regards,..CW,...

The best book I have read ,and own, on runnning dogs health is "Veterinary Advice For Greyhound Owners ", by John Kohnke.

Skycat has been writing a book as long as I have known her.

It's not a bad book Inan but the book wee gemm hunter mentions is the best there is for injuries and how to treat them. It's not cheap but the best seldom is.thumbs.gif