more coyote pics

• Replies 249
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

It would be a hugh shame if the American lads said "fvck it", and didn't bother posting again,just because one or two people have a problem with their posts !! I, for one, and I suspect many more members, look forward to seeing posts about dogs hunting quarry that most on here can only dream about ! Keep at it lads, and keep posting !

Cheers.

Well said. ;)

Dan

HAPPY BIRTHDAY brother, i know it's a day late but there it is.

Doc

great shots.

Aaron

nice shots there too.

Unfit

by your criteria of access to food & water, even box/cage traps are cruel. so is that what you think? if so then it negates your position as it places you in the anti position that all trapping is cruel. further your contention doesn't fit the generally agreed definition of cruel, the wanton & unnecessary infliction of pain & sufferring. the use of these traps is neither wanton nor unneccesary.

anyone who has issues w/ trapping. we have far more antis than you (400 million people i don't think the math is that hard to figure out). because they are loud & have lots of money the issue of how humane FOOTHOLDs (proper name as they hold on the foot/toes not the whole leg) are has been brought up AND STUDIED (you know science, data, statistics & all that crap). due to the outcry, the international association of fish & wildlife agencies (IAFWA is mostly made up of provincial & state agencies from the USA & Canada) funded studies on trapping to come up with the Best Management Practices. the criteria for the traps they reccommend was based on effectiveness (how well they caught & HELD the animal) and humaneness (how much or little pain & sufferring). they have consistantly reccommended killing traps like conibear & other bodygrips as the most efficient & humane. however most states in the USA prohibit their use on land due to the threat they pose to pets (& hunting dogs). they freely reccommend footholds but are specific about certain sizes for certain animals. the reasone for specifice size reccommendations is that too small a size is ineffective and too large can result in injury to the animal. so yes if a 2# kit fox steps into a 30# coyote sized trap & sets it off then it may in fact experience injury. however as most trappers know sets are designed to entice specific animals w/ limited nontarget catches. only two species are known to engage in selfmaiming to escape, otters will spin until the captured appendage (usually toes occasionally a whole foot) seperates. this is eliminated by using drowning sets w/ adequate weight. the other is raccoons which will chew of their toes from INSIDE the jaws. this is eliminated by using small enough traps that they can't get their muzzle in their to chew or traps that cover the inside toes. all other animals only chew or wring off if they experience an injury (the aforementioned kit fox in the coyote trap).

in the studies done to determine the stress caused by foothold traps, the gist was that the animals experience stress at capture, at sunrise & at the approach of the trapper or other predators. the majority of the time in the trap the animal simply layed there w/ the trap on it's foot.

further as has been hinted at trapping is economically driven, trappers want the device that is most likely to put fur on the stretcher. traps that cause animals to ruin their fur reduce the monetary value of the pelts. traps that injure an animal and cause them to chew off means lost revenue. just as no normal rational person goes to work and tries to get fired, the average trapper makes every effort to get the most money for their effort to include the use of more/most humane traps.

http://www.fishwildlife.org/furbearer.html

Edited by Pops

Cripes I go away to put the kids to bed and this is what I miss!

Why are the 'coons being taken Aaron? Are they doing damage or otherwise being pests where they were trapped? We had coons in the city and they were a pain in the arse but regarded as harmless by most people. Tho they can do damage to homes and gardens in an urban environment.

Coyotes are really beautiful animals. I still struggle with seeing them in that position even tho you say they are not in pain .... but I don't have to manage land or deal with them eating my profits. It can't be nice to be trapped for 12 hours like that, but then given the amount of ground to be covered and the overwhelming numbers of them I suppose needs must, as they say. I'm rather glad I'm not in a position to need to kill them myself - and if I was I would prefer a day out with the dogs or guns to trapping but again, your earlier explanation makes sense of a seeminly senseless method.

Why are the 'coons being taken Aaron?

Because as of yet, they refuse to give up their coats voluntarily . They stalwartly refuse to surrender.

They can be a nuisance but, again, that typically occurs when their habitat has too many 'coons to support the numbers.

Why are the 'coons being taken Aaron? Are they doing damage or otherwise being pests where they were trapped? We had coons in the city and they were a pain in the arse but regarded as harmless by most people. Tho they can do damage to homes and gardens in an urban environment.

Coyotes are really beautiful animals. I still struggle with seeing them in that position even tho you say they are not in pain .... but I don't have to manage land or deal with them eating my profits. It can't be nice to be trapped for 12 hours like that, but then given the amount of ground to be covered and the overwhelming numbers of them I suppose needs must, as they say. I'm rather glad I'm not in a position to need to kill them myself - and if I was I would prefer a day out with the dogs or guns to trapping but again, your earlier explanation makes sense of a seeminly senseless method.

not causing pain and suffering ,he gets of on it cant you tell .dont listen to him if he mentions any thing to do with sticky stuff and a mouth .you will regret it .
Edited by UNFIT

not causing pain and suffering ,he gets of on it cant you tell .dont listen to him if he mentions any thing to do with sticky stuff and a mouth .you will regret it .

Oh you...don't be like that ,pumpkin.

Here. Some clowns. Everybody loves clowns.

hahahahahaha :notworthy::rofl: psml!!!!!