pre ban whats the best dogs for deer

• Replies 156
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A friend of mine has a 3/4 Greyhound 1/4 Saluki red Bitch 26 tts (retired now), it was great pre ban, best dog I've known, it done plenty slip and kill in open fields but I think where the dog really excelled was in rough ground, it could track them and run them sometimes for 5/10 mins +, it would only run at half to three quarter pace through the trees/bushes etc just staying in reach and no more not making any mistakes, being patient, playing the long game, much of these ended up in a kill, normally when a mistake was made in the rough. I'm sure others have had dogs like this, thinkers rather than all out bravado.

atb Mt Jones

A friend of mine has a 3/4 Greyhound 1/4 Saluki red Bitch 26 tts (retired now), it was great pre ban, best dog I've known, it done plenty slip and kill in open fields but I think where the dog really excelled was in rough ground, it could track them and run them sometimes for 5/10 mins +, it would only run at half to three quarter pace through the trees/bushes etc just staying in reach and no more not making any mistakes, being patient, playing the long game, much of these ended up in a kill, normally when a mistake was made in the rough. I'm sure others have had dogs like this, thinkers rather than all out bravado.

atb Mt Jones

i couldnt have a dog like that, as i would need it to catch asap dont have time to f,ck about lol

Chalkwarren is right there , looking back at the post i made describing the 4 dogs we ran to start with , not the sort of dogs i would kennel now ,it was a learning curve and you said f all to anyone . Nowadays im a bit more relaxed about things . . Dogs i keep now are generally 27+ and 3/4 bred grey deer !!! Sometimes we find it hard to explain how hunting feels . . .i had a pup , i drove 300miles to pick him up , drove back the same day 3/4 just how i want ,( he made 30inch ,smoothcoat brindle ) anyway when he was a pup he was big gangly huge feet, i walked him round the paddocks regular , he was bombproof. .little bit skittish of moving horses but walked him in and out of sheep and he was looking at the clouds and the trees ,first time he sam a rabbit bolt in the hedge he was springing about just like a playful pup. 4months old he saw a roe at about 100yards and he just locked solid on the lead , im sure you know the feeling , locked solid ,quivvering ,mouth shut tight eyes locked on like a tracking device .total intent. 100% PURE INSTINCT . .and thats the feeling that makes it all worthwhile, that split second when you think ,yes i understand.

its nice to hear about the old style deerhounds as its two decades since i ran them hard my mate had a good bitch i call anything good if it can yoke three hares in the dayhlite and be more than useful at nite , any way it was good to see the old deerrhound type i saw in americs the last decade, remeber me of a youthful face of old, but sadly the boys that had them like the last of the mohicans long gone, not to there maker but there way of life now , ye got a soft spot for them and if they could perform with my saluks and colli types i mayge get one again some day

atb Mt Jones

i couldnt have a dog like that, as i would need it to catch asap dont have time to f,ck about lol

Your dogs obvioulsy must wear their pants over their trousers and have capes flying off their backs to clear all those trees and undergrowth?!!? Is it a bird, is it a plane no it's bull101's dug.... :boogie: .......just kidding so don't off on one!

atb Mr Jones

you make it sound so nice and surreal ,sign of getting older and wiser for some ,if i didnt enjoy it well wouldnt do it , easier ways to make a buck , or two , like the fish still at thrill wading in and seeing the bars of silver , or trapping or lobster trapping , there are easyr ways to make aliving but such is life,

sounds real nice and comforting the way you put things chalkie ,did you always write like that as me i m direct lol even in person ,every bodies diffrent ,but you make us all invited the way you [bANNED TEXT] , and nice and comforting ,uncle chalkie lol

Nothing wrong with a dash of deerhound blood in this day and age but it's finding the right blood to use. It is out there but hard to find, i inquired about a litter of first crosses recently only to find out that the sire was just a pet owned by a bloke who just likes the breed. :whistling:

Good post Butler, I would think the same could be said of bull blood as well.

Nothing wrong with a dash of deerhound blood in this day and age but it's finding the right blood to use. It is out there but hard to find, i inquired about a litter of first crosses recently only to find out that the sire was just a pet owned by a bloke who just likes the breed. :whistling:

To some extent that is true but the thing with bull IMO is it takes more away from a "RUNNING" dog than it puts in (yards count in this game). It also takes alot of breeding out as it is very dominant and shows through 5,6,7 generations down the line. You don't need bull to put that do or die attitude in a dog selective breeding of the right lurcher lines will do that for you. To be honest a dog doesn't need to be game in the truest sense of the word to take deer large or small because most of the time the dog is the aggressor and the deer doesn't want the fight.Yes you will get the odd one stand his ground at certain times of year I've even seen roe do it but even this shouldn't course a problem to a seasoned dog.I've heard all the horror story's of dogs being gored and scrubbed into the ground but if they know the job they soon learn to take care of the front end before it can course them any trouble. If they don't then they are not DEER dogs IMO and should be taken out of any breeding program as sub standard dogs of any breed should not be tolarated................But them days are gone and even if the hunting act is over turned i doubt we would get them back but it is good to talk about it.

Nothing wrong with a dash of deerhound blood in this day and age but it's finding the right blood to use. It is out there but hard to find, i inquired about a litter of first crosses recently only to find out that the sire was just a pet owned by a bloke who just likes the breed. whistling.gif

To some extent that is true but the thing with bull IMO is it takes more away from a "RUNNING" dog than it puts in (yards count in this game). It also takes alot of breeding out as it is very dominant and shows through 5,6,7 generations down the line. You don't need bull to put that do or die attitude in a dog selective breeding of the right lurcher lines will do that for you. To be honest a dog doesn't need to be game in the truest sense of the word to take deer large or small because most of the time the dog is the aggressor and the deer doesn't want the fight.Yes you will get the odd one stand his ground at certain times of year I've even seen roe do it but even this shouldn't course a problem to a seasoned dog.I've heard all the horror story's of dogs being gored and scrubbed into the ground but if they know the job they soon learn to take care of the front end before it can course them any trouble. If they don't then they are not DEER dogs IMO and should be taken out of any breeding program as sub standard dogs of any breed should not be tolarated................But them days are gone and even if the hunting act is over turned i doubt we would get them back but it is good to talk about it.

A sensible post Mr Butler... If I have a crawl out tonight, are you coming to keep me warm kiss.gif ?

Good post mate, but i disagree with you about the gameness part a bit, most dogs will chase deer but if you out 5 nights a week ,month in month out you need a game/hard dog with all the knocks /bumps etc they pick up, ive seen dogs look like world beaters at start of their deer career but after a while they dont run so hard or look so keen, also seen dogs belive it or not stop chasing deer with head gear(antlers) and only run does/hinds it takes a good dog to run them hard night after night,month after month ,plus with the goring part when the buck/stag has a enough and stands for dog there certain places in britain where this happens all the time through out year and not just in rut and 9/10 dog will deal with this but belive me good old dogs do get caught from time to time.