pre ban whats the best dogs for deer

• Replies 156
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

All these dogs were saluki bred and they certainly put a few deer away. All dead and gone now but before we were restricted to just bunnies these were the only dogs i would ever want to own.They all killed their game with very little fuss even the odd rutting fallow buck notworthy.gif

I shot them for you ya messer, then truffle pig retrieved them...tongue2.gif

All these dogs were saluki bred and they certainly put a few deer away. All dead and gone now but before we were restricted to just bunnies these were the only dogs i would ever want to own.They all killed their game with very little fuss even the odd rutting fallow buck notworthy.gif

I can remember when you were brave enough to walk out with us but like the dogs in the pics them days are long gone you messer :tongue2:

best dogs ive saw on deer pre ban were tor of dartmoor stuff saluks and there offspring , yet to see better for allround stuff, , probaly one of the best saluks for breeing deer dogs in there time some of the dogs were 85 lb with attitude and wind and somewere lighter but theyb took to getting deer no problem ,they didnt need bull collie or whatever in them this is al preban and history

best dog that i know of was also tor blood saluki grey called brandy,29" about 80lb.the lad who owned the dog was living in caithness area in the mid 90's.the dog had a good reputation on the horned variety and took several red single handed.

All these dogs were saluki bred and they certainly put a few deer away. All dead and gone now but before we were restricted to just bunnies these were the only dogs i would ever want to own.They all killed their game with very little fuss even the odd rutting fallow buck :notworthy:

:thumbs: @ Butler.... :drink:

But,.. :hmm: perhaps a wee smidgen of Bull blood included in the mix would possibly enhance such fabulous critters without doing too much harm :thumbs:

But,..I could well be wrong :D

All the best,..CW....

They had a slight touch of bull in the mix but nothing worth mentioning less than a 60th in the modern generation :thumbs:

I can remember when you were brave enough to walk out with us but like the dogs in the pics them days are long gone you messer tongue2.gif

Too old tongue2.gif

i own a bull greyhound collie whippet greyhound 26 inch killed deer no problem day time and night time the perfect build nice an sturdy with emince pace but my mate ownd a suluki whippet greyhound killed deer day time with ese i beleive any lurcher will do it if traind right and not intert in to them 2 young ATB LURCHERMAN

deerhound greyhound types would still be good but were are they nowadays the only ones ive saw real good were the coyote hounds over by, they would knack whats on offer with out much problem ,the only thing i have saw a problem with some saluks the bitches which are good, some a bit lite if you run them hard and struggle with larger qaurry , always preferd the male of the saluk types i have a bit more wieght and power ,the only reason i like saluk is there temprement and ,wind ,for one or two runs no better than any other dog but if your busy well and big land you need wind feet to stick to the job plus be sustainable week in week out ,year in year out, bred [bANNED TEXT] they are the dogs i always lend to ,

All these dogs were saluki bred and they certainly put a few deer away. All dead and gone now but before we were restricted to just bunnies these were the only dogs i would ever want to own.They all killed their game with very little fuss even the odd rutting fallow buck :notworthy:

some nice old pics their mate,the good old days they looked like they kept you in meat but those days are over naw :angry:

Nothing wrong with a dash of deerhound blood in this day and age but it's finding the right blood to use. It is out there but hard to find, i inquired about a litter of first crosses recently only to find out that the sire was just a pet owned by a bloke who just likes the breed. :whistling:

Seen a lot of different crosses, dogs from the same litter good and bad. They have to be hard and fast and WANT it, cant comment on Sika or muntjak, Roe [hard @ fast] Fallow [cant run] Red [deerhound full or cross ],on saying that I've seen a deerhound cross that was useless but I've seen some that were awesome.

You dont need deerhound x's for red deer others can do the job aswell. I would say fallow run pretty well much better than sika or muntjac.

Skitz, I'm just stating my prefered dogs. I've never lamped any deer of any spieces so I can't comment on it, in the past it was always first light I've never seen sika or muntjak on ground that I worked, roe was the most common and I would be very peeved if any dog I owned missed one, fallow as far as I'm concerned couldn't run a message. RED different ball game, You could catch them with smaller dogs, but as I've said I was out at daybreak and it had to be as fast as possible that's where the heavy artillary comes in to its own, my deerhound xs were 28.5" @85lbs 29" @ 95lbs very fast @ very hard dogs, writing this makes me miss it badly, happy hunting Skitz [have to go and feed my rabbit dogs now]

:victory::victory::victory: Sounds good mate. The fallow that i have run have been pretty good but that could be because they were always run alot. I personally think an average fallow would smoke a good sika but again i could be wrong as i have only seen about 10 sika taken with dogs pre ban.

Do you have any pics of the deerhound x's you used to run? Ive never really seen them do anything but my mate used to keep them and he reckons they were first class deer dogs.

Seem to have made a mess of that last post, As I said dont know anything about sika, Ijust don't rate fallow, Sorry I hav'nt got any pics of my big dogs, lent them out to a mate who lent them out now nobody has them, a lesson learned, as I said i've only got smaller types now,once I figure out how to put pics on I'll stick some pics of my bitches on, cheers