pre ban whats the best dogs for deer

• Replies 156
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think the Deerhound was bred to tackle Red deer on the Scottish moors(long legs to clear the heather, endurance and a large dose of weight which was usually carried in a sack between their legs :laugh:) I believe they were also historically run in pairs against Stags???

I would of thought they would probably struggle to catch a Roe breaking cover and running a smallish field???

I would of thought that differant breeds would be better at differant Deer? I don't doubt a few dogs can do all species but I would think they were in the minority?

One that had the speed/agility to take a Roe or Muntjac in a coppice or wood , wouldn't have the physical weight to stop a large Red? and vica versa, a dog strong enough to stop a Red would not have the agility to catch a Roe?

It's part of what makes hunting with dogs so exciting and closeknit (even though everyone pretends to hate each other :laugh: ), meeting up with likeminded guys (and girls) to test your dog on their choosen quarry on their ground against their purpose bred Lurchers. Nothing better than that.

Still as it's all in the past, we youngsters can only dream of what it was like back then!!

All the best with the Rabbits and Rats! :cry:

i could be wrong, but the way ive read it [s/deerhounds] were bred to track+find wounded deer .Hold them at bay and wait for hunter to despatch it with spear or gun . And with the use of the [gun] thats when the use of s/deerhounds [declined]. Regards tackle+catching big deer [reds..........] prob 1-2 s/deerhound could catch+kill any [type] of deer,being a strong,agile,fast dog. with the size [height+weight] to do the job.?

2 out of 10 ?? . . .a dog is 'lucky' to get 2 out of 10 . .if thats what you think then youre really not in a position to comment on whats the best breed for deer. Now i know that there are plenty of wannabe poachers who will tell you they had dogs catch 9 or 10 out of 10, and we all know those dogs are like rocking horse sht ! Ive seen plenty of deer dogs over the last 27years ,some fair some good and 1 or 2 excellent , and they were all capable of hitting more than 20% back in the late 80's we would drive 70or 80 miles a night round dorset, not driving the fields , either running from the road or parking up and walking. We d usually take sneak (23 inch 3/4 grey 1/8 collie 1/8 whip) and jake(27 inch deer grey) on the first sorte at about 10pm then swap dogs and batteries at about 2ish and take jade (sneaks sister) and bruce collie grey. We d run the little uns on the roe and the big uns on the sika , single handed, get all the dogs home safe and sound then go back out and pick up the deer in the transit about 5 or 6am. Back then it was a living before the cowboys started driving the fields leaving a trail of destruction and bringing it on top for everyone. We killed 16 does one night and once jake killed 3 sika stags , he was a helluva dog and if its common to see a dog do 3 black stags in one session then i guess this old fool still has a lot to learn , coz i think its exceptional. I still say for sika and fallow you need a big and fast dog , 27+ and 3/4 grey . . . with 1/4 deerhound being my choice.

:

correct about you dont need a certain breed or x ,that is where people used to go wrong ,they had or seen one breed doing the job good ,and then tried to get the same x or a pup out of this dog ,and when it did not perform they could never work out why ,little did they realise they probibly droped lucky with the first dog ,then because they did not have a clue or the time to put into the new one ,it turned out shit ,but some people knew what was needed and every dog they owned would be up to the mark .nothing has changed realy it is still happening to day ,but with dogs that chase rabbits .

flint67, your post was perfect. I can tell you know what you are talkin about. The part about running alot of miles is very true, it takes many a mile to do it and the part about the 3/4 grey 1/4 deer was pretty damn spot on. I aint sayin it has to be that percentage of whatever cross at all but it has to be a dog of that type. They have to be extremely fast and extremely powerful to pull down. A lite in the ass type of dog will get drug about all over the damn place.

flint67, your post was perfect. I can tell you know what you are talkin about. The part about running alot of miles is very true, it takes many a mile to do it and the part about the 3/4 grey 1/4 deer was pretty damn spot on. I aint sayin it has to be that percentage of whatever cross at all but it has to be a dog of that type. They have to be extremely fast and extremely powerful to pull down. A lite in the ass type of dog will get drug about all over the damn place.

you dont get dogs that will stop them most of the time ,im on about fallow or reds not those silly little roe ,the dog gets draged never mind how big it is ,you will only notice this IF YOU DO IT REGULAR , not part time ie,1or 2 outings a week ,sorry i ment if you was at it in the past .so dan ,you cant be at them very much over there to say sutch a thing . :no:and you dont need BIG dogs that is total crap but they do look better doing the job ..i mean in the past . Edited by UNFIT

you dont get dogs that will stop them most of the time ,im on about fallow or reds not those silly little roe ,the dog gets draged never mind how big it is ,you will only notice this IF YOU DO IT REGULAR , not part time ie,1or 2 outings a week ,sorry i ment if you was at it in the past .so dan ,you cant be at them very much over there to say sutch a thing . :no:and you dont need BIG dogs that is total crap but they do look better doing the job ..i mean in the past .

mate why do you bother writing on here all it use to do when i answered posts and some smart ass pc hunter come back with a stupid /asshole repley was wind me up , half these clowns dont get out once a week.go and have a nice time in land of ladyboys mate.

you dont get dogs that will stop them most of the time ,im on about fallow or reds not those silly little roe ,the dog gets draged never mind how big it is ,you will only notice this IF YOU DO IT REGULAR , not part time ie,1or 2 outings a week ,sorry i ment if you was at it in the past .so dan ,you cant be at them very much over there to say sutch a thing . :no:and you dont need BIG dogs that is total crap but they do look better doing the job ..i mean in the past .

mate why do you bother writing on here all it use to do when i answered posts and some smart ass pc hunter come back with a stupid /asshole repley was wind me up , half these clowns dont get out once a week.go and have a nice time in land of ladyboys mate.

some one got to keep the arseholes entertaind ,im only on about the likes of bull101 or what ever he calls him or more liklely HER SELF ;) i will bring one of those lady boys back for you mate ,give you some thing to play with while im skining . :laugh:

I think the Deerhound was bred to tackle Red deer on the Scottish moors(long legs to clear the heather, endurance and a large dose of weight which was usually carried in a sack between their legs :laugh:) I believe they were also historically run in pairs against Stags???

I would of thought they would probably struggle to catch a Roe breaking cover and running a smallish field???

I would of thought that differant breeds would be better at differant Deer? I don't doubt a few dogs can do all species but I would think they were in the minority?

One that had the speed/agility to take a Roe or Muntjac in a coppice or wood , wouldn't have the physical weight to stop a large Red? and vica versa, a dog strong enough to stop a Red would not have the agility to catch a Roe?

It's part of what makes hunting with dogs so exciting and closeknit (even though everyone pretends to hate each other :laugh: ), meeting up with likeminded guys (and girls) to test your dog on their choosen quarry on their ground against their purpose bred Lurchers. Nothing better than that.

Still as it's all in the past, we youngsters can only dream of what it was like back then!!

All the best with the Rabbits and Rats! :cry:

a while back when i was checking the laws of hunting<DEER> i came accross a book called a day with a mans dog. it showed two small bed x whips and pictures of there catches and pics of there stories these included pics with 40-50 rabbits. catching munjack in the woods then in the field they caught a wild fallow stag weighing over 170lb they caught this by sheer determination by holding onto its bollocks and beeing drag kicked and rammed over two whole large fields.these two could do it all. it shows with the correct owner any dog is capable. but as time moves on things evolve and new things become the new way of life. hence why most traditional dogs no longer cut it. look at the preformance from a steam engine to a diesel engine everything evolves people need to keep with the times

Edited by huntingalltheway

beddie whipprt my ass , this is full of dreamers , who the fech would get a small whippet to hold a larger animal ive always believed than more speed and power in adog the better for allround qaurry if your at it alot , not just one offs

beddie whipprt my ass , this is full of dreamers , who the fech would get a small whippet to hold a larger animal ive always believed than more speed and power in adog the better for allround qaurry if your at it alot , not just one offs

you seem to no alot whin were did you learn what you no or get your knowledge must no few of the right guys and no you got dogs bred from some of the dogs my bitch was bred from and you like your fishing how did the pups you bred turn out did you keep any yourself :)

unfit , you certainly sound like you done a bit ,and know what youre on about , the only thing i disagree on is the 2out of 10 strike rate . .i dont say there are dogs that hit everything they run , but every time ive had a dog hit 3or 4 it wasnt coz i ran 15 or 20 !! There are a few myths about deer that pop up year after year. . . Someone said fallow cant run ,i agree with you oh yes they can , but to my eyes they do not fight like sika , ive seen dogs big and small kicked up in the air and dragged just like you say and that is why i prefer bigger dogs , and why i dont like thinkers ,but i wouldnt go for power over speed. Ive known plenty of guys who dont rate roe , but they are quick and sometimes people who have big dogs for big deer have sacrificed some speed for power , and not all those dogs can do daytime roe, each to his own . You havent mentioned sika ,do you rate them ,were they in your neck of the woods back in the day? Ive seen a fallow stood by the hedge with a dog holding it by the back leg ,and ive seen sika bucking and kicking like a rodeo turning and headbutting ,even on the deck curled up kicking with all 4 legs, theyve killed 1or 2 dogs over the years , sure my 23inch bitch could do the job, but i prefer bit bigger dogs

roll on the end of the month ,i told you i will show you some thing that will shock you . :yes:

unfit as is ays to you before there nothing dog wise in the uk i aint seen caut or other wise ,why would you shock me, as ive traveld over and caut all sorts please and i mean it ,youll not shock me ill say well done to the dogs or whatever but as a wily character ive saw enough in my time and traveld enough , to know whats what mate ,shock the uneducated not people who have done more than a little bit ,if i learn something ill say good man but shock to me is abear coming running to you or ahog and you only have afeching stick to whack it , now listen carefully if your here to shock find some less knowedgble guys as theyl lap it up not guys who have walked the walk for decades have fun me old matey