pre ban whats the best dogs for deer

if ever the ban was lifted and lamping deer at night was made legal ,you should all move to a area full of fallow and get at them every night ,with different crosses of dogs ,you will find you dont need any thing special ,all sorts and all sizes can do the job ,its just that some do it better than others ,untill it comes to the bigger ones with head gear that want to defend them selves ,then you will find it takes a special dog to do that job regular and this type of dog dont come along that often ,all you wannabe deer hunters you have not got a clue what your on about ,your living in cloud cuckoo land . :yes:

Edited by UNFIT

• Replies 156
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i like 3/4 greyhound 1/4 deerhound and i like them 27inch+ ,but i have seen many smaller dogs that could competently take roe and a 25inch dog that would go straight between the back legs and make sika stags sit down. Sika and fallow can give a dog a real kicking , and i like a woodenheaded dog that lands running and ploughs straight back in , not a thinker. The best deer dogs will have to be fast and powerful , but as with all aspects of lurcherwork its down to the entering and fitness as much as anything. We wouldnt consider matching a haredog unless it was doing 4 or 5 miles a day, how can a deer dog knock over 2or3 at a time if it lives in a kennel 24 7

malamute x grey........they will smash deer 24/7 and you can even start them at 4months

i have never heard such shit in my life

mate have you ever seen 1 run????????

i very much dout it!

and if you av obivsley a half wit f*king owed it PLEB!

do a bit of reseach be for oppening ur mouth yea find out what malamute huskeys are used for!

Guest 1 man and hiz dog

pre ban. the best dog for deer was the deerhound.thats why the breed is called a deerhound .(pre ban )could mean 100s of years ago.

all jokes apart you know what your dog is capable of and when you see your dog run a deer for the first time you no wether its game or not e.g keeping it warm

For Roe I found Salukis are fairly versatile, they have pace to take them in the open and stamina and running sense to be able stay right on them through woods how can they escape? It's pretty much a done deal. down side is they end up a fair distance away when the kill and you only hear the deer a few second as the naturally throat them. They have the knack to deal with them very cleanly and so they should Salukis have hunting Roe for thousands of years.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bTvRxj6W2-E

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lOAAC1U-PJc&NR=1

This video video (in its two parts) shows the extent of a roes ability to say ahead of Salukis even in woods beyond the roes initial sprint the Saluki will close on it and take it at will.

You can forget the fast greyhound saturated dogs for anything other point and slip on open ground on ground like this or in woods they don't last long.

Edited by Meerihunter

if ever the ban was lifted and lamping deer at night was made legal ,you should all move to a area full of fallow and get at them every night ,with different crosses of dogs ,you will find you dont need any thing special ,all sorts and all sizes can do the job ,its just that some do it better than others ,untill it comes to the bigger ones with head gear that want to defend them selves ,then you will find it takes a special dog to do that job regular and this type of dog dont come along that often ,all you wannabe deer hunters you have not got a clue what your on about ,your living in cloud cuckoo land . :yes:

I get your drift UNFIT :thumbs: ,but imho Fallow gave in easier than most when a dog took a hold,the bigger chaps with head gear were no different BUT the exception to that was when they were in RUT then they were a different kettle of fish :boxing: ,believe you me i've had my quota and like you say "some do it better than others" and that certainly is a fact ;) .All the best PP.

I think the Deerhound was bred to tackle Red deer on the Scottish moors(long legs to clear the heather, endurance and a large dose of weight which was usually carried in a sack between their legs :laugh:) I believe they were also historically run in pairs against Stags???

I would of thought they would probably struggle to catch a Roe breaking cover and running a smallish field???

I would of thought that differant breeds would be better at differant Deer? I don't doubt a few dogs can do all species but I would think they were in the minority?

One that had the speed/agility to take a Roe or Muntjac in a coppice or wood , wouldn't have the physical weight to stop a large Red? and vica versa, a dog strong enough to stop a Red would not have the agility to catch a Roe?

It's part of what makes hunting with dogs so exciting and closeknit (even though everyone pretends to hate each other :laugh: ), meeting up with likeminded guys (and girls) to test your dog on their choosen quarry on their ground against their purpose bred Lurchers. Nothing better than that.

Still as it's all in the past, we youngsters can only dream of what it was like back then!!

All the best with the Rabbits and Rats! :cry:

Ya, Elk would probably take at least a 22 inch dog. LOL!

nothing changes ,there you go an american bragging about SIZE making things bigger again ,when 19inch would do the job :tongue2:

White Tail deer (I think that what they are in the US?) are renowned for their aggressive tendancies towards predators when it comes to it from what I have read and heard of them and you would expect that from a species living along size large predators?