pre ban whats the best dogs for deer

i would go for a dog about[24-26in and 60-70lb] should be strong+agile,and speed quite alot of sight hound in it. maybe [colliexgreyxsalukixgrey]with a bit of bull in there.the main thing go for a dog, that comes from dogs that do that job.?? Aleast you in with a chance then.?

• Replies 156
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I only ever saw Roe run during the day and only one a month so not exactly a test for a dog (you couldn't get much more in the freezer!) cracking quarry for the chase but once caught they didn't exactly put up much of a fight? so the dog just needed to be fast enough to catch and anchor down until you got there.

Did Fallow/Sika/Red fight back or just keep trying to pull away from the dog? I'd guess for deer of this size you would of needed a dog with a bit of brains (collie x) to pull or knock them over so they can't move off again or just with the weight (deerhoundX) to anchor it?

It's a shame I didn't have Roo 15years ago, I would of loved to of given him a go at the Larger quarry.

Dan, I guess you've got some pretty big deer over their?

Edited by bullmastiff

If its daytime we're talking then that dog better be a fast one for the heavy ploddng ponies won't be making too many inroads....

Obviously we are talking purely historical now, but daytime roe was always a great quarry.....JD

:clapper: Very true,...

I saw some Alsatian/Greyhound hybrids several years ago,..they could certainly hunt out the Muntjak, and one crew that owned them also beat the feck out of a herd of rare Pere Davids in a park environment,..but,.IF I was ever to think 'dawgs and deers',..well,.I would always plump for a fast and powerful canine,..one that could control the situation and dictate the final end. :yes:

Big Critters them Fallow Bucks.... :yes:

petworthfallowoctober2009061.jpg

Nice pic there Chalkie....i have one almost as good of a black fallow, but the head is not in the same category. Yes i have met a few characters boasting of their dogs prowess, but under scrutiny it appeared they were not exactly hunting "wild" deer!! And they were trebeling up....still....Ignorance is bliss...The truth be known, alot of these so-called "night" dogs only made a catch when there was wire to bounce off!...

But,hey, its all in the past anyway.....JD

Having never seen one up close, they do look like awesome beasts, I'm amazed a dog could pull one singlehanded, must of been a sight to see and some amazing sport. I envy you guys!!!

they did not keep running with 19inches of solid muscle hanging on their nuts . ;)

doesnt matter what breed aslong as its got the speed, the guts, and plenty of brains, , some may say bullx, some may say deerhoundx, some may say a big feckinbg gun, , but end of the day in everyway of life there going to be alot shite, a very few good, you might go breed ssome top class deer dogs, it doesnt mean that every pup out the litter is going to be 100% on deer, , you just gotta cross your fingers, and do your part,

malamute x grey........they will smash deer 24/7 and you can even start them at 4months

it aint the dog [size, breed or AGE] but how its trained and how much it has to run on, i dont think youd get good coursin or rabbitin dogs if they only see em once in a blue moon. location location location, give the dog the chance train it well it will find a way, :thumbs: