Training my whippet

Hi Guys

I am a newbie to lamping rabbits with a dog so my question my be basic but please be patient lol

I have a young whippet who is going well, very keen and starting to get afew. But my problem is that when I spotlight the whippet wont pick them up when they are squating. He has runover the top of heaps now and it is really frustrating.

He also doesn't really see them till they move which means they get abit of a start on him.

How do I teach my dog to follow the light and not his nose and how do i help him spot the squatters.

Craig

Hi Guys

I am a newbie to lamping rabbits with a dog so my question my be basic but please be patient lol

I have a young whippet who is going well, very keen and starting to get afew. But my problem is that when I spotlight the whippet wont pick them up when they are squating. He has runover the top of heaps now and it is really frustrating.

He also doesn't really see them till they move which means they get abit of a start on him.

How do I teach my dog to follow the light and not his nose and how do i help him spot the squatters.

Craig

I keep and run whippets on the lamp and the one i'm running at the moment is mustard on squatters, many don't even move a muscle.

My method to get them taking squatters is this, when out lamping never slip the dog until your sure it's seen the rabbit in the beam. You have to remember the dogs much lower then you and it's alot harder for them to see the rabbit. To start getting the dog to see them walk up to the squatters until the dogs seen it then slip the dog. It will soon realise if you keep the lamp on that there is a rabbit in the beam and it will start to concentrate it's effort on the beam and spotting the squattered rabbits.

The bitch i'm running at the minute will just trot down the beam until she's about 10foot from the rabbit and then she makes a sudden lunge for them picking them up without them moving from there seat.

I never take out other dogs when learning a young dog on the lamp as i think it causes more problems to them. I just take them out on there own and give them a few runs on what i consider easy rabbits.

We are getting a friends whippet bitch running on the lamp, she had an injury early summer and had only been out a couple of times before her injury. She struggled to see squaters but after just 2 outings has started picking them up with ease. She got 4 out the seat the last time we took her out.

I HAVE A HANCOCK COLLIE GREYHOUND AN IT STANDS OVER THE TOP OF SQUATERS IT DOING MY HEAD IN 2

At least it's seeing them though mate lol. I'm sure it will start to pick them up. Unless it's one of those dogs that just wants to chase and then pick them up. I had a lurcher like that in the early 90's she was 4 years old when she decided to take her first sqautter, before that she used to run down the beam to the squatter and almost nose the rabbity up to run before chasing and catching them. She did my head in, but i kept her anyway as she was a cracking bitch other than that. Once she started to take the squatters though she never looked back..

I HAVE A HANCOCK COLLIE GREYHOUND AN IT STANDS OVER THE TOP OF SQUATERS IT DOING MY HEAD IN 2

At least it's seeing them though mate lol. I'm sure it will start to pick them up. Unless it's one of those dogs that just wants to chase and then pick them up. I had a lurcher like that in the early 90's she was 4 years old when she decided to take her first sqautter, before that she used to run down the beam to the squatter and almost nose the rabbity up to run before chasing and catching them. She did my head in, but i kept her anyway as she was a cracking bitch other than that. Once she started to take the squatters though she never looked back..

IT THE SAME MATE ITS NOSE TOUCHING THE RABBIT THE ICEMAN THINKS ITS FUNNEY [bANNED TEXT] WERE OUT :icon_redface:

Hi Guys

Craig

looks its very easy my bitch now is 4 years and only been on the lamp a few times now and as picked it up easy ask (snowman lol) bring your dog 2 sheep fields where there is rabbits the shorter the fields the better walking a dog up does not work a dog will always look into the distance until it knows what its looking for on the ground. as l said the shorter the grass the better squating rabbits stand out more but dont slip the dog till it has seen it or until u think it as this as worked for me all the time best off luck .iceman