Feeding Fallow

I have been asked to cull some fallow that are doing damage in some young forestry plantation.

There are a number of footpaths that pass through the ground, so I need to draw the deer into an area away from public access/view. I intend to draw the deer there by feeding them.

I have a regular supply of cut maize, whole maize and wheat, along with some aniseed attractant. Are all of these feed stuffs ok for the job?

Can anybody recommend anything else that fallow like to eat or are attracted too?

I have been told to tie a couple of hay nets to trees and fill them with hay or haylage! Would this work?

Thanks in advance for your replies. :thumbs:

I have been asked to cull some fallow that are doing damage in some young forestry plantation.

There are a number of footpaths that pass through the ground, so I need to draw the deer into an area away from public access/view. I intend to draw the deer there by feeding them.

I have a regular supply of cut maize, whole maize and wheat, along with some aniseed attractant. Are all of these feed stuffs ok for the job?

Can anybody recommend anything else that fallow like to eat or are attracted too?

I have been told to tie a couple of hay nets to trees and fill them with hay or haylage! Would this work?

Thanks in advance for your replies. :thumbs:

Hay nets tend to be a waste of time, unless you've got snow on the ground and theres nothing available to them.

Maize in the form of a cob is great but they soon get wise to being able to pick it up and walk with it to eat. Then the only problem with wheat and cut maize is pheasants, they'll empty the area.

We've always found the best attractant if you can get hold of it is sugar beat/fodder beat. Sugar beat is generally better because its sweeter. You need to buy the root though, not what you get in bags. This way the big roots are difficult to take away, this maybe mixed with some cobs of maize will have them where you want them

they will take most fodder potatoes,corn( put this in a plastic barrel with holes in the sides,so the pheasant cant get to it) conkers,acorn,sugar beat,apple and pressings of apples.mineral stones are attractive to them too. i'm not sure i would shoot on a feeding area though mate.

atb

• 3 weeks later...

your best bet is a local farmer.all types of grain will do it too( oats,maize and wheat were favorites).

cattle or sheep mineral stones are a good puller too.

atb

p.s. if feeding regularly i would build a feeding table.reduces risk of parasite transfer and lost feed.

your best bet is a local farmer.all types of grain will do it too( oats,maize and wheat were favorites).

cattle or sheep mineral stones are a good puller too.

atb

p.s. if feeding regularly i would build a feeding table.reduces risk of parasite transfer and lost feed.

had thought of using drainage pipe strapped to a tree but a table would work. Have you used any of these methods and did they work?

They raid the pheasant feeders on our shoot. They tweak the metal springs to hell and back. We are moving over to the cage type feeders (spring inside a cage). Hopefully this will mean our pheasants will eat the wheat not the deer!

ft

yes bud i have used tables( for fallow about 2ft high,if roe should use them too then lower).put some posts in the ground and the table on top( so they cant turn it over)

we would put a fence around the hoppers to stop deer getting to them(just a few posts with branches angled down).