Quietest .22 Rimfire - need to be covert.

Well it seems me and D are thinking alike so in his absence I'll try to help. Not sure about caps but low powered short .22 rimfire ammo is available to limit the performance of the gun. As used in pier end shooting galleries.

Also .22 shotgun loads, (dust shot), is availiable for very light weight applications.

I'll also add aquestion here because I've never done it. Will .22 dust shot damage a rifle??

CAPS

BB Cap (Flobert), .22 Cal, 17 gr SP 750 fps (round nosed)

CB Cap (Flobert), .22 Cal, 17 gr SP 750 fps (pointed nose)

These are about half the size of a .22 short. I think I am right in saying RWS are the only manufacturer these days, not easy to find but there are some about.

SHOTSHELLS

Shot shells are in simple terms like a .22lr shotgun cartridge, also available for .22WMR....

http://www.cci-ammunition.com/products/det...amp;loadNo=0039

Several other manufacturers also make them, "generally" available from most RFD!

I have heard mixed reviews about letting go shotshells down your .22lr pride and joy, it will inevitably need a GOOD clean afterwards to clear any potential fouling from the rifling. BUT ESSENTIAL, remove any fitted moderator before using shotshell!!! I haven't used any for years, but they most certainly do have a use!!

The only person I know who uses them has an old and cheap dedicated 22, but it works, also remember the range of these is VERY close!

ATB :thumbs:

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well... what a response. A huge thank you to all of you.

Today I collected a new CZ 452 American with a full length barrel and SAK moderator.

So far I have only tried Winchester Super X Subsonic but was absolutely amazed at how quiet the gun was.

I chose the full length barrel for two reasons.

One - it is significantly cheaper - apparently they are all manufactured long, that is why you pay more for the shorter barrel, it has been cut down.

Two - the longer barrel is quieter than the shorter barrel. Logical really. The added length (beyond that required for efficient combustion) acts like an expansion chamber, a sort of pre-silencer.

As an aside... Last week I replaced the cheap plastic moderator on my Anschutz .17HMR (it came with it) with a SAK moderator (£40) and I was very pleasantly surprised to find that it made my .17 rather more user friendly by greatly reducing the muzzle blast - far better than the nasty plastic moderator - a really big improvement and highly recomended.

The new CZ 452 with SAK moderator and Winchester subs is about as silent as it is possible to get. I have to try it side by side with my sub 12lb Theoben Rapid air rifle (fitted with Theoben silencer) but my impression is that the 22LR is quieter - extraordinary.

When I fired the new rifle this evening there was a fairly loud "click" as the trigger released the bolt and the hammer hit the cartridge, followed by a moment of silence and then the thud of the bullet hitting its target. No bang! really strange.

It makes the same "click" when dry fired, you can't do much about that, the bullet hitting the target makes quite a thud and you can't do much about that either, and the bit in between where it is supposed to go bang just does not happen.

There are quite a few moderators on the market and it is possible to spend a lot of money but for the humble 22LR subsonic round you cannot improve on silence so the simple SAK has done the job.

I had considered FAC air (converting my Rapid) but I cannot see any logic to this. It is hugely more expensive, far less convenient, has the same legal restrictions and is noisier with less hitting power.

Next problem is adapting the CZ to Weaver mounts for night vision - I shall start a new post for that one.