THIS SHOULD BE INTERSTING

So, i guess, in your dogs case we may be talking gameness and not stamina then? Or have i got the wrong end of the stick....

Personally when i had a lurcher that was worth owning all those years ago i used to grade stamina in two ways...

#1 daytime, behind a good hare on good land..

#2 by night seeing how many rabbits it could run and retrieve without flagging.

Your thoughts....?

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A genuine question for UNFIT, what is your opinion of your own dog/dogs...........the reason I ask is this, you can tell a bit about someone from there own honest opinion of there own dog.

Avery good thread so far by the way.

HI WILF Mate The guy asked two ? what is Stamina & How to obtain it.Most of us could reply in two simple lines.Some poeple feel they have to wright a book fair play.atb. Catcher :thumbs:

Catcher the reason I asked the question is that UNFIT has made some fairly bold statements in this thread and I wanted to see if he were an OK type lad or another idiot.

Cheers,

The Milfster! :victory:

Hi WILF Not having a go mate you have my respect.Know your a good man.Just some of the replyes seem a bit long winded.atb Catcher :thumbs:

So, i guess, in your dogs case we may be talking gameness and not stamina then? Or have i got the wrong end of the stick....

Personally when i had a lurcher that was worth owning all those years ago i used to grade stamina in two ways...

Your thoughts....?

we all consider things different , to me if a dog keeps running all night long and will get up in the morning and do the same then it has to have a lot of stamina ,the one thing my dog and some of my mates dogs do different to most is ,they will cover 2or 3 times more ground during a lamping trip than most ,simply because they are worked loose and they will always be on rout down the beam when we put it on ,just incase there is some thing to chase ,they only go down steady and always looking ,for eyes or movement .its hard to explain with out seeing it happen .if people are honest ,they will tell you that at some time or another there dog has been fecked on a nigh out , ,i can honestly say my dog has never been fecked or have i seen the persons dogs that showed me the method we use to start a pup ,fecked at any time .when i say fecked i mean time to call it a night .i know it is down to how many runs and all that but they just seem to keep going .the dogs i owned 20 years before i changed to this method would only last a night or two .and they were very game dogs ,

Your thoughts....?

Well JD I think you can only define Stamina in one way.Cant put it down to breed .night or day or even ground.Simple the dog has or has not got it.atb.Catcher :thumbs:

well in my time with running dogs theres only one type of dog i av. this is a dog with stamia all the dogs i no thats got plently have a certian chest shape ? what goes with these chests what i think is a strong heart and bigger heart vales what gets plenty of oxegan into the mussal . does any body no what shape chest im on about ;)

I think the type of chest youre on about is not just a deep chest associated with a running dog, but also the width of the chest, if a dog has a wide ribcage aswell as a deep one it will have a greater lung capacity than a dog with a deep but narrow chest. Bigger lung capacity= more efficient delivery of oxygen to the working muscles therefore greater stamina potential.

Look at alot of whippets built for short bursts, they have deep but narrow chests, a dog that is not renound for its stamina but for pure explosive speed, also comming in greyhounds, although many coursing bred greyhounds may have a wider rib cage that the sprinting type.

Now if you look at the saluki, the ultimate stamina dog, i have noticed that some have fairly narrow but very deep chest, yet others that i have seen have very wide barrel rib cages but also deep, i would put money on it that the narrow chested saluki would be racier and not have asmuch wind as the saluki with bigger rib cage lung capacity. This was also pointed out to me by a very good dog man and friend, who is a pure out and out hare man after years of lamping, he always looks for a good wide deep chest in his dogs, and his saluki cross lurchers are second to none, i have never seen dogs run hare like these feild or fen makes no differance, he is on this site but keeps a low profile as he does with his dogs. Feeds them hare from a young age and always keeps two or threee back from a litter to see the differance and end up settling on one, I have known him get rid or very very good dogs that hes bred and brought on himself that i would not dream of getting rid of, but whats a good dog to one person maynot be a good dog to the next man. To the people they have gone to they have killed more hares with them in two weeks than they would do all year, but when you have better in the pen from previous breedings such a dog is not worth keeping to him. This alite attitude and experiance is what creates good dogs, some people can make a good dog out of pet bred dog that would shame most, but give that person a well bred working dog and they mould it into something very special. A dog is what you make of it at the end of the day, good breeding workers to workers is the only way to go, but this alone should not be relied upon to produce a good dog, the more effort you put into something the more you get out of it.

:clapper::clapper: