THIS SHOULD BE INTERSTING

well in my time with running dogs theres only one type of dog i av. this is a dog with stamia all the dogs i no thats got plently have a certian chest shape ? what goes with these chests what i think is a strong heart and bigger heart vales what gets plenty of oxegan into the mussal . does any body no what shape chest im on about ;)

I think the type of chest youre on about is not just a deep chest associated with a running dog, but also the width of the chest, if a dog has a wide ribcage aswell as a deep one it will have a greater lung capacity than a dog with a deep but narrow chest. Bigger lung capacity= more efficient delivery of oxygen to the working muscles therefore greater stamina potential.

Look at alot of whippets built for short bursts, they have deep but narrow chests, a dog that is not renound for its stamina but for pure explosive speed, also comming in greyhounds, although many coursing bred greyhounds may have a wider rib cage that the sprinting type.

Now if you look at the saluki, the ultimate stamina dog, i have noticed that some have fairly narrow but very deep chest, yet others that i have seen have very wide barrel rib cages but also deep, i would put money on it that the narrow chested saluki would be racier and not have asmuch wind as the saluki with bigger rib cage lung capacity. This was also pointed out to me by a very good dog man and friend, who is a pure out and out hare man after years of lamping, he always looks for a good wide deep chest in his dogs, and his saluki cross lurchers are second to none, i have never seen dogs run hare like these feild or fen makes no differance, he is on this site but keeps a low profile as he does with his dogs. Feeds them hare from a young age and always keeps two or threee back from a litter to see the differance and end up settling on one, I have known him get rid or very very good dogs that hes bred and brought on himself that i would not dream of getting rid of, but whats a good dog to one person maynot be a good dog to the next man. To the people they have gone to they have killed more hares with them in two weeks than they would do all year, but when you have better in the pen from previous breedings such a dog is not worth keeping to him. This alite attitude and experiance is what creates good dogs, some people can make a good dog out of pet bred dog that would shame most, but give that person a well bred working dog and they mould it into something very special. A dog is what you make of it at the end of the day, good breeding workers to workers is the only way to go, but this alone should not be relied upon to produce a good dog, the more effort you put into something the more you get out of it.

just like you write in the last part of this post .,,SOME PEOPLE CAN MAKE A GOOD DOG OUT OF A PET BRED DOG THAT WOULD SHAME MOST ,BUT GIVE THAT PERSON A WELL BRED WORKING DOG AND THEY WILL MOULD IT INTO SOME THING VERY SPECIAL ,,no truer words written ,YOU EITHER GOT IT OR YOU HAVE NOT , in my case i HAVE ,end of this questioning from those that dont ,end of subject from me .do your own thing if it makes you happy .

can you tell me more mate :D:clapper:

hands on is the only way dai, seeing is believing as the saying goes :thumbs:

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

think a lot a people need tae ask what stamina means...................
that is what im getting at :thumbs:

Its just energy be it mental or physical.atb. Catcher :thumbs:

could not agree more .:and i thought no one would say it .

if some of you took the time to read the thread ,you would have seen this the answer i was looking for , , simple as ,nothing more nothing less ,looks like some one else knows his dogs ..and how do i obtain it in a dog ,simple plenty of work and build the lungs and heart up from very young ,because you wont get the same results with a old dog because they would have developed 90 percent of their lung and heart capacity already .

Stamina can only be built by pushing the body to the max in areobic resperation into anerobic resperation, to condition the body to take longer to reach the point of anerobic resperation and perform better and longer when this point is reached, prolonging the buildup of lactic acid.

Now i dont know about you but i am not in the thinking that pushing a 3 month old pup too and beyond the point of lactic build up will be doing it any good, as at this age the pup needs all the nutrients proteins and amino acids to aid muscle and tissue and organ growth and development, doing so would be burning off much needed fuel and i would image would either make or break a pup, but that maybe the whole idea of youre rearing technics, to make or break !

where have i ever said i push them to such a extent , i must be doing some thing right ,i have not broke a dog yet .and as for food ,well you wont get much better than venison ,how many other people do you know will feed this most days to there dog ,and i dont mean the rubbish bits ,mine gets all of it .some thing else i was show by the person that told me to start them early in life . ::that is where a lot go wrong ,feeding crap dried or tin food .

Not everybody feeds there dogs and pups on crap food mate, its called a ballanced diet mate, yes venison meat will be a good source of raw protein, but its not just about raw protein, its about a balance carbs, roughage, mineral supplements, essential oils, some dried dog foods are not as crap as you may think, 32 % protein foods high in essential oils and carbs for energy are readily available. Venison will be good for dogs obviously but i wouldnt just feed that alone,, and not everybody has a unlimited supply of it do they,,keep it real mate, i like to feed rabbits and the odd hare sometimes, but not all the time.

you was pointing out that a pup would need a very good diet ,i said what mine gets ,so you think bag food is the best ,i sugest you look into it you will find it is not controled what can go into it .by the way i wonder what the top preditors gets by on , O of course baged dog food :laugh:

Lol, i know what you are saying mate, afterall dogs are natural meat eaters, as they would in the wild, dried food is by far not the best thing, just thought i would point out that its not as bad as it used to be, things are a bit strictker these days and a quality dried food has to meet certain standards, some more than others it seems lol. but yes meat is good for a dog,and if it eats what it catches it will be more inclined to carry on trying to catch its dinner !

Edited by merle24
well in my time with running dogs theres only one type of dog i av. this is a dog with stamia all the dogs i no thats got plently have a certian chest shape ? what goes with these chests what i think is a strong heart and bigger heart vales what gets plenty of oxegan into the mussal . does any body no what shape chest im on about ;)

I think the type of chest youre on about is not just a deep chest associated with a running dog, but also the width of the chest, if a dog has a wide ribcage aswell as a deep one it will have a greater lung capacity than a dog with a deep but narrow chest. Bigger lung capacity= more efficient delivery of oxygen to the working muscles therefore greater stamina potential.

Look at alot of whippets built for short bursts, they have deep but narrow chests, a dog that is not renound for its stamina but for pure explosive speed, also comming in greyhounds, although many coursing bred greyhounds may have a wider rib cage that the sprinting type.

Now if you look at the saluki, the ultimate stamina dog, i have noticed that some have fairly narrow but very deep chest, yet others that i have seen have very wide barrel rib cages but also deep, i would put money on it that the narrow chested saluki would be racier and not have asmuch wind as the saluki with bigger rib cage lung capacity. This was also pointed out to me by a very good dog man and friend, who is a pure out and out hare man after years of lamping, he always looks for a good wide deep chest in his dogs, and his saluki cross lurchers are second to none, i have never seen dogs run hare like these feild or fen makes no differance, he is on this site but keeps a low profile as he does with his dogs. Feeds them hare from a young age and always keeps two or threee back from a litter to see the differance and end up settling on one, I have known him get rid or very very good dogs that hes bred and brought on himself that i would not dream of getting rid of, but whats a good dog to one person maynot be a good dog to the next man. To the people they have gone to they have killed more hares with them in two weeks than they would do all year, but when you have better in the pen from previous breedings such a dog is not worth keeping to him. This alite attitude and experiance is what creates good dogs, some people can make a good dog out of pet bred dog that would shame most, but give that person a well bred working dog and they mould it into something very special. A dog is what you make of it at the end of the day, good breeding workers to workers is the only way to go, but this alone should not be relied upon to produce a good dog, the more effort you put into something the more you get out of it.

just like you write in the last part of this post .,,SOME PEOPLE CAN MAKE A GOOD DOG OUT OF A PET BRED DOG THAT WOULD SHAME MOST ,BUT GIVE THAT PERSON A WELL BRED WORKING DOG AND THEY WILL MOULD IT INTO SOME THING VERY SPECIAL ,,no truer words written ,YOU EITHER GOT IT OR YOU HAVE NOT , in my case i HAVE ,end of this questioning from those that dont ,end of subject from me .do your own thing if it makes you happy .

can you tell me more mate :D:clapper:

hands on is the only way dai, seeing is believing as the saying goes :thumbs:

very true mate

if you condition a dog like a body builder the mongrel will be better ive gotten to find out at long last to be sure

Ha Ha, might have guessed Unfit's post would end up in more self indulgent bollox, just can't help himself!

As for stamina, it can be built to good levels in any breed, for what that breed is!

Chest size and shape for instance means nothing, as the dog is the product of the most seviere form of human modification on the planet and different breeds were 'built' for different jobs, just because it 'looks' like it should have stamina doesn't mean it will have.

Our lurchers are an amalgamation of different breeds and we will only get out of them what gene is strongest to that dog, is it a sprint merchant or a long distance dog?

Stamina can be built up in any living mamal and though it is best built sensibly in a young dog, any dog that has had a reasonable life can and should gain it at a later life BUT again I stress that ONLY for that dogs type!

My own two penneth worth on this subject is this, that although you can build your dogs stamina up, fitness too, maybe right up to it's best, good dogs, the best dogs, are formed not just by whats been built but by that inner desire to overcome what ever is telling it deep inside to stop and run through what is known as 'the pain barrier', that is the defining thing in dogs when all else is equal, that can't be put in when its lacking, that must be prized AND harnessed, that separates the good from the great!! ;)

Ha Ha, might have guessed Unfit's post would end up in more self indulgent bollox, just can't help himself!

As for stamina, it can be built to good levels in any breed, for what that breed is!

Chest size and shape for instance means nothing, as the dog is the product of the most seviere form of human modification on the planet and different breeds were 'built' for different jobs, just because it 'looks' like it should have stamina doesn't mean it will have.

Our lurchers are an amalgamation of different breeds and we will only get out of them what gene is strongest to that dog, is it a sprint merchant or a long distance dog?

Stamina can be built up in any living mamal and though it is best built sensibly in a young dog, any dog that has had a reasonable life can and should gain it at a later life BUT again I stress that ONLY for that dogs type!

My own two penneth worth on this subject is this, that although you can build your dogs stamina up, fitness too, maybe right up to it's best, good dogs, the best dogs, are formed not just by whats been built but by that inner desire to overcome what ever is telling it deep inside to stop and run through what is known as 'the pain barrier', that is the defining thing in dogs when all else is equal, that can't be put in when its lacking, that must be prized AND harnessed, that separates the good from the great!! ;)

wait for it , because unfit will critisize , but wont give his own account of things , just agree or disagree with other statements :wallbash:

wait for it , because unfit will critisize , but wont give his own account of things , just agree or disagree with other statements :wallbash:

seems like hes sayin it how it is to me :big_boss:

A genuine question for UNFIT, what is your opinion of your own dog/dogs...........the reason I ask is this, you can tell a bit about someone from there own honest opinion of there own dog.

Avery good thread so far by the way.

A genuine question for UNFIT, what is your opinion of your own dog/dogs...........the reason I ask is this, you can tell a bit about someone from there own honest opinion of there own dog.

he is ok ,but could be better ,i have owned better ,his size lets him down some times ,but not that often ,he has guts ,but also a brain that helps him keep out of trouble when needed .he can run all week long ,but that is down to how he was taught from day one and the amount of work he gets . he could also do with a bit more speed ,but he makes up for that because of the way he works the lamp ,ie ,he is a sneeky fecker .that just about sums him up .those that have seen him work will tell you the same ,but they would love to own him . . Edited by UNFIT

he is ok ,but could be better ,i have owned better ,his size lets him down some times ,but not that often ,he has guts ,but also a brain that helps him keep out of trouble when needed .he can run all week long ,but that is down to how he was taught from day one and the amount of work he gets . he could also do with a bit more speed ,but he makes up for that because of the way he works the lamp ,ie ,he is a sneeky fecker .that just about sums him up .those that have seen him work will tell you the same ,but they would love to own him . .

Whats he like in the daytime mate?

HI WILF Mate The guy asked two ? what is Stamina & How to obtain it.Most of us could reply in two simple lines.Some poeple feel they have to wright a book fair play.atb. Catcher :thumbs:

Fair one, I like the way you describe........all the right lads I have met would describe there dogs in a similar way, its allways the big mouth legends that have a world beater.

So, I suppose my point is......you have taken a bit of flack in this thread but I will continue to read your input because you come across as OK.

Once again, decent enough thread :thumbs:

HI WILF Mate The guy asked two ? what is Stamina & How to obtain it.Most of us could reply in two simple lines.Some poeple feel they have to wright a book fair play.atb. Catcher :thumbs:

Catcher the reason I asked the question is that UNFIT has made some fairly bold statements in this thread and I wanted to see if he were an OK type lad or another idiot.

Cheers,

The Milfster! :victory:

he is ok ,but could be better ,i have owned better ,his size lets him down some times ,but not that often ,he has guts ,but also a brain that helps him keep out of trouble when needed .he can run all week long ,but that is down to how he was taught from day one and the amount of work he gets . he could also do with a bit more speed ,but he makes up for that because of the way he works the lamp ,ie ,he is a sneeky fecker .that just about sums him up .those that have seen him work will tell you the same ,but they would love to own him . .

Whats he like in the daytime mate?

i only work him on one thing in the day ,and he has the odd one every now and then ,mainly in the wood ,because like i said he is very sneeky .he finds them him self with no help from me ,i just go along for the walk .and the only reason i work him in the day is to keep him happy if for some reason or another i have not been out for a while . Edited by UNFIT