coursing under rules...

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

speaking from what i,ve seen in the past two season coursing with greyhound's these certainly wouldn't be at the top off the list. in no way am i slagging this bred of dog but the main aim of the greyhound coursing game is not to kill the hare and if the hare isn't killed on the run up or first couple of turns then he will usually escape. last season while coursing with the greyhound clubs which was usually every other weekend and some week days (from 0ctober to febuary) i saw about 15 hares killed which is a very little amount compared to the ammount of hares coursed.

was talking to a few people at the waterloo cup who coursed whippets and they said the same in that they dont kill that many.

i would say out of all the coursing pure breds it would be a close call between Saluki and the Deerhound, all depending on what ground the dogs were coursing on. if i needed to choose between these two breeds i personally choose the saluki, but i'm not knocking the deerhound as i've seen a few run and they put up a pretty good show.

All the best Tommy

Hi, like Tommy I would be interested in if this includes all hare coursing activities, as some deerhound and saluki hare coursing was against blue hares. I have witnessed a lot of deerhound coursing and have seen between 30-40 hares killed over a 2 day 32 dog organised stake under NCC rules, on the same ground, I have seen salukis take only a fraction of the tally, so if its an average over the total number of organised events, I would plum for deerhounds...But this is probably a biast guess, due to the fact I do not know the records of other sighthound breeds as well as I do deerhounds.

Bill

Doxhope of the Deerhound verses Saluki coursing you have seen was any off the competitions held on the fens are any other big land. one of the Deerhounds i have seen running is owned by my dad and even though he has a good amount of stamina compared to my own and other friends saluki lurchers they have the upper hand in the stamina stakes. when watching some of the old coursing tapes 1992/1993 there seems to be a few deerhound crosses on these but most of the courses are won by saluki crosses due to better stamina.

Where the Deerhound v Saluki matches run on the moors mainly?

All the best Tommy :D:) .

Hi Tommy,

yes the ones I was on about were on the moors, they were not against each other, but held on seperate days, on the final day however the winning deerhound was matched against the winning saluki, and till the end of hare coursing the deerhounds were just in front. I totally agree with you on the saluki stamina, it cannot be equaled, the only question is the effort the saluki puts into it running style, its not the same firery style of a greyhound, whippet or proper working deerhound. I have seen saluki crosses up here where I live that couldnt catch a hare on the lamp in the small type of field we have up here in Northumberland, but the same dogs went down to the fens and killed three out of three, and some even won matches.

Salukis are one of my favourite sighthounds, when thinking about moving into judging to Kennel club level, I was going top specialize in sighthounds, mainly deerhounds, salukis and whippets. But saluki crosses however are not for me..

Mind you Tommy I was talking pure breds not crosses in my original post. Saluki crosses are the ultimate match dogs for the fens...No one can dispute that

Good hunting,

Bill

Hi, yes that was on DAVA moor, I have also coursed in Aberdeen, and on the Scottish border meetings with the deerhound club, and many private meeting also on the border moors, but they were both just deerhound days, although I have seen the saluki coursing club on the border moors. Have you been to these two meeting at any time, might have been there at the same time....

Bill

Guest nastybilly

nah doxhope the granton one was the only one iv been to,met some good folk and was impressed by what i seen, exept for the couch potato dogs that i seen runnin..lol..you could tell the differance when they opend there picka nick hampers and started feedin the dogs pork pies and chocky biscuts at lunch, when there dogs where still the go in slips, they musta been stuffed..lol..but they still tried.

i thought i seen a kamakzi pilot there one year, but it was just anastasia noble with the flyin gear on gettin taxied about in an argo cart, now she was a character,

sager was there too, flyin the saluki flag.

but the biggest laugh was the woman who was runnin about askin were the potaloo was..lol..

how did you do it those meetins, did you win any?

nah doxhope the granton one was the only one iv been to,met some good folk and was impressed by what i seen, exept for the couch potato dogs that i seen runnin..lol..you could tell the differance when they opend there picka nick hampers and started feedin the dogs pork pies and chocky biscuts at lunch, when there dogs where still the go in slips, they musta been stuffed..lol..but they still tried.

i thought i seen a kamakzi pilot there one year, but it was just anastasia noble with the flyin gear on gettin taxied about in an argo cart, now she was a character,

sager was there too, flyin the saluki flag.

but the biggest laugh was the woman who was runnin about askin were the potaloo was..lol..

how did you do it those meetins, did you win any?

but the biggest laugh was the woman who was runnin about askin were the potaloo was..lol.. i can only hope it was not my best bud Helga it would be typical of her

well that i doubt lol she is a crisp woman :lol: however her deerhound broke its leg up in scotland and she and the dog has to be taken back down to a cottage by an atv hares and all i think she said woooohooo wut a ride.... haha NOT as the hares hanging down kept wackin her while she was holding the big boy LOL

Guest nastybilly

well i was at one a good few years back that one of the dogs broke its leg, and it was just trotting back after a course but i thought it was a saluki, but the auld memorys goin now..lol

well i was at one a good few years back that one of the dogs broke its leg, and it was just trotting back after a course but i thought it was a saluki, but the auld memorys goin now..lol

well it was a few years back now he is in his twilight years.

She bought a new pup some time back off Glenys Peach and she has coursed that last year she quite well i think.... haha see wut being erm Young ;) does too the memory :icon_eek::lol: