'Good reason' for a section 1 shotgun

I can feel a variation coming on, but I'd like to make sure I get it right.

What's deemed 'good reason' for a section 1 (i.e. more than 2 rounds in the magazine and one up the stuffer... as you all know :-) ) shotgun?

It's not very often I need shots 4 to 8 but when I do I curse, cos they ain't there.

Would 'I need to be able to shoot more than 3 pigeons in quick succession without reloading' cover it?

Do they put terms on your FAC? I mean, if I put that about the pigeons, will they put 'Pigeon control' on my FAC and then I can't shoot rabbits with that shotgun? Surely not.

Cheers

Mick

What's deemed 'good reason' for a section 1 (i.e. more than 2 rounds in the magazine and one up the stuffer... as you all know :-) ) shotgun?

It's not very often I need shots 4 to 8 but when I do I curse, cos they ain't there.

Would 'I need to be able to shoot more than 3 pigeons in quick succession without reloading' cover it?

Do they put terms on your FAC? I mean, if I put that about the pigeons, will they put 'Pigeon control' on my FAC and then I can't shoot rabbits with that shotgun? Surely not.

Cheers

Mick

You only need to state "For the destruction of winged vermin" thats all no problem.

If you an 'open' FAC you will get the variation without any issue, but if you only got your first .22 six months ago they may be more interested?

AndyF

Cheers

Mick

You only need to state "For the destruction of winged vermin" thats all no problem.

If you an 'open' FAC you will get the variation without any issue, but if you only got your first .22 six months ago they may be more interested?

AndyF

If he puts winged vermin then he won't be able to shoot rabbits.

How about vermin and pests which is what mine states.

Edited by CharlieT

AndyF

Open FAC for years so hopefully no problem.

Cheers

Mick

AndyF

Open FAC for years so hopefully no problem.

Cheers

Mick

Home Office guidelines (for what they are worth) state that Section 1, ie long magazine, shotgun can be allowed for the purpose of controlling flocking corvids (sounds rude) and other avian pest species. Seriously illegal to use one to shoot game birds without a permit from Natural England Licensing Unit. Even intention to do so will cost you your FAC for good

Ric

It is quite likely that he will ask "Do you want one? Or do you need one?"

Be ready to explain your self

I would ask yourself Do you need one? As stated above , it can only be used for the purpose stated on your ticket..

Me....I wouldn't bother.

This is an interesting point.

I don't 'need' one any more than I need any of my guns. Shooting's a bit of fun, a hobby for me, and if I go out for the day then I need a gun, in fact a variety of guns depending on what I'm going to shoot, but I don't need any of them for my survival or my livelihood.

So in the sense that sometimes there are vast flocks of vermin overhead and I need to be able to shoot lots of them at once, yes I need one :-)

But will my life be much worse if I don't get one? No, I don't need one in that sense.

My FEO has said no problem.

I'm gonna go for it, I think it'll seriously up my fun factor :-)

Now speaking of which, why is it so hard to find a Benelli M4 in this country?

--

Cheers

Mick

AndyF

If he puts winged vermin then he won't be able to shoot rabbits.

How about vermin and pests which is what mine states.

I don't have an unrestricted shotgun on my FAC, but my shooting buddy does, down here in Devon & Cornwall he tried your vermin various etc etc at first, our local Firearms Unit would have none of that, and 'advised' the winged vermin wording, FAC arrived the following week after he amended his good reason! So down here that's par for the course.

AF