.204 ruger

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

ive just bought a .204 ruger and was wandering how use rate this rifle .what drop it has at wat distance etc etc

Perhaps a little late to ask the questions, and, what do you want to use it on??.

I don't have one and only know of one person who did..for a brief time before getting rid of it, not a happy experience.

Anyway, I expect you may get mixed reviews here, in principle all the tables and charts suggest it should be a good and useful calibre.

The reality is not always the same, ammo is still not easy to find and expensive, reloading is still not easy, it does not like the heavier ammo generally and unless you get a really good barrel it is unlikely to deliver the accuracy suggested, and it is noisy of course, but so are many!

So..time to hand over to everyone who will tell you it is brilliant... :hmm::no: Come on ..be honest guys!!!

If you check out the Federal website it has some info on ballistics :

http://www.federalpremium.com/products/rifle.aspx

I'm still making my mind up between 223 or 204, by all accounts 223 seems like the sensible choice but can't be sensible all the time! :)

Out of interest, what breed is your 204? I'll be interested to hear how you get on with it!

Mike

ive just bought a .204 ruger and was wandering how use rate this rifle .what drop it has at wat distance etc etc

Perhaps a little late to ask the questions, and, what do you want to use it on??.

I don't have one and only know of one person who did..for a brief time before getting rid of it, not a happy experience.

Anyway, I expect you may get mixed reviews here, in principle all the tables and charts suggest it should be a good and useful calibre.

The reality is not always the same, ammo is still not easy to find and expensive, reloading is still not easy, it does not like the heavier ammo generally and unless you get a really good barrel it is unlikely to deliver the accuracy suggested, and it is noisy of course, but so are many!

So..time to hand over to everyone who will tell you it is brilliant... :hmm::no: Come on ..be honest guys!!!

After reading this post all potential buyers will certainly be put of buying into the .204 hype.

It was, indeed, most kind of you to share your vast experience and knowledge of this caliber with us........thank you Deker.

However the reality is that you are again being your usual self, why not borrow mine for a couple of month, you will soon change your tune.

After reading this post all potential buyers will certainly be put of buying into the .204 hype.

It was, indeed, most kind of you to share your vast experience and knowledge of this caliber with us........thank you Deker.

However the reality is that you are again being your usual self, why not borrow mine for a couple of month, you will soon change your tune.

The post is honest and factual, chill, I made it clear I don't have one, the calibre has it's uses, VERY limited, and if you get a good one and your pockets are deep then fine, what is your issue!! I was even looking at one of these myself about a year or so back!

I have 7 other FAC tools to use, I don't need or want one, if someone has a specific (narrow requirement) then fine!

Perhaps you will be kind enough to point out everywhere I was wrong!

a couple of lads on the bbs swear by them. they reload for them which acording to them you have to do. to get the best out the rifle reloading is a must.

fast,flat,accurate and can see the hits as recoil is lower then 22 centrefire mods.

i would have one and in the future mite ? i have hmr for rabbits and 22/250 for fox and vermin and soon to be deer.

204 or 20 tac in future for day time rabbits and crows would be very nice.

Well . . . for what it's worth . . . I am planning/hoping to build a 204 varminter. It ain't a meat round. High velocity fragmenting ammo does NOT make for good eating. I have to ask why you bought it? It really is a "varmint" round. Totally lethal on impact but wrecks the meat. I want it as a long range crow/feral pigeon/fox round. If you want to shoot for the pot you'll have to use heavier bullets and then your accuracy will go to hell in a basket.

Keep us posted tho.

ATB

Ric

I have had one for about 14 months.It is my most used rifle,from long range rabbits & crows to fox day and night.Mine prefers 40 grain Hornady, but it still can group the 32"s.Foxes definately dont like it,amazes me when people go on about it being marginal for fox.Have you seen the size of coyote & it flattens them! Put bullet in the right place same as others.PS " enjoy".

I have a 20tac. Ive found it an excellent vermin round; rabbits are heads shot, (as they are with all my rifles) so eating them is not a problem; ive had similar damage from my HMR, that said a body shot will spread the rabbit about a bit. Its equally good on feathers and fox.

I find the .204 round very accurate and flat shooting. rough performance guide for a 40gr @ 3880fps is 100yrd zero, 200 yrd 1" drop, 300 yrd 6" drop, 400yrd 15" drop

From what I remember reading before I bought the 20, the factory 204r generally has 1-12 twist which means you may struggle with 40gr, that said you may get away with the 39's. Plus the general reloading opinion was that they were bullet fussy.

Just get out and enjoy it mate. :D

ill be using it for fox only . have 350 phesants out in a wood to which foxes are using as there takeaway. mate has a 22l/r and using high velocity rounds which the local foxes seem to know the range off her. and off course the local lampers have everything lamp shy out 2 130 yards. so after long think and phoning about i came across the .204 ruger i think its a varmint (slips away to get changed over). it came complete with scope 8-32x50cls sound moderator and bipod and its only 8 months old synithetic stock and stainless barrels for under £800 and the shop stocks the bullets so i got it wat use think about price. expensive or what.ill post pic later ;);)

upperlane2

I have a .204. a 223 and a 22.250 as my foxing rifles. I have owned the .204 (a Howa stainless with heavy barrel) for 3 years now and it is without doubt the most accurate rifle I have owned in nearly 50 years.

I do not reload and therefore use factory ammo which in my view could not be improved upon producing 1"groups at 200 yds.

I very rarely use any other rifle for foxing now and although the 22.250 without doubt hits harder, dead is dead and my 204 accounts for over 200 foxes a year without any problems.

I am fortunate in so much as 40 gr shoot well in mine and I believe these are somewhat better on fox then the 32 but never having used the 32 gr I can't really comment.

We are all different and favor particular makes and calibers and tend to recommend the ones we own and use. All I can say is don't dismiss the .204 on hearsay and fairytales. It's an inherently accurate caliber, very flat shooting and more than capable of dealing with foxes at extended ranges all with factory ammo be it expensive !.

You have never had one,but,you're knowledge of the calibre is amazing or just an amazing load of bollocks.

It is a very good and useful calibre

a) All ammo now is expensive,and,I don't pay any more for the .204 than I do for the .243

B) I personally use 40grn V-Max and they shoot excellently

c) The accuracy is phenomenal

d) It is NOT a noisy calibre....a .22-250cal is far more noisy

Get back to your 'Silverfish'

Martin.

You have never had one,but,you're knowledge of the calibre is amazing or just an amazing load of bollocks.

It is a very good and useful calibre

a) All ammo now is expensive,and,I don't pay any more for the .204 than I do for the .243

B) I personally use 40grn V-Max and they shoot excellently

c) The accuracy is phenomenal

d) It is NOT a noisy calibre....a .22-250cal is far more noisy

Get back to your 'Silverfish'

Martin.

Chill out Martin, and a little less of the bollocks would be appreciated.

You .204 owners are a real touchy bunch.

Yes, I spent an unfortunate hands on period with a .204 with an assortment of factory and home brew ammo. I also spent some months investigating the calibre immediately before this.

Everything I have said above is correct, generally they do not like heavier ammo, as attested by some here and in a number of reviews, and from my experience.

Noise wise I seem to be right again...it's not as noisy as a 22-250 hey, :hmm: which is a f*****g noisy round, so that makes it quiet does it...and....

You only pay the same for .204 as you do for .243 (you are doing well), but in my book that still makes it expensive!

Chill out and read what I said again, carefully, it is ALL correct!

Now, what was that about silverfish?

Cheers & ATB

PS there must be the odd good one out there, glad to hear you seem to have it! :thumbs:

Unlike Charlie T I don't have a 204, however I was asked to develop a load for a friend. Having done that and seen what it can do, I am a convert to the 204 and this is coming from a someone who has a 17 Rem and two 22.250s - I'd gladly swap my 17 Rem for a 204.

My friend was the guy in Sporting Rifle a couple of months back who was featured with his 204 after he shot a fox weighing about 28 lbs. I have been with him recently whilst shooting crows on maize stubble out to 265 yds rangefinder confirmed.

When we were deciding what weight heads to use, this was the result of two five shot groups - perhaps Deker this is another "odd good one"

post-17645-1255330939_thumb.jpg

Edited by dicehorn

I have a VT Ruger 204 and love it, i use it on rabbits and foxes. I find that I have it about 3/4" high at 100yrds and all i have to do is put the cross hairs on my target and its dead. These people who say it no good have no idea. If you want to shoot bigger game use a bigger rifle, after all its a varmit caliber... But i have shot plenty of feral goats with it with very effective results. I normally use factory Rem40gn but have started playing around reloading.

I'm starting to try 32gn pills as the 40gns have generally too much penatration on a fox ie blow holes thru the other side.

Edited by Gerard40