Out with my two Patts this morning, Bitch just 7 1/2 month old was about 20 yard away when she began having a fit.

At 1st thought she was rolling in s**t but very soon realised the difference. Legs stiff in the air shaking about an when I got to her, her eyes were rolled back in her head an she wasn't breathing. All snot an slavver round her mouth.

I then thought she was choking so gave a few quick squeezes, this seemed to help but she didn't cough owt up but began breathing again an her eyes rolled back forward again but she was totally disorientated. Absolutely petrified.

A couple more minutes in my arms an she seemed fine(ish)

Rang the vets an she said there is nowt they can do as they need to see her in the fit to be able to determine what it is.

Has anyone else on here experienced anything the like? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers Lads.

Out with my two Patts this morning, Bitch just 7 1/2 month old was about 20 yard away when she began having a fit.

At 1st thought she was rolling in s**t but very soon realised the difference. Legs stiff in the air shaking about an when I got to her, her eyes were rolled back in her head an she wasn't breathing. All snot an slavver round her mouth.

I then thought she was choking so gave a few quick squeezes, this seemed to help but she didn't cough owt up but began breathing again an her eyes rolled back forward again but she was totally disorientated. Absolutely petrified.

A couple more minutes in my arms an she seemed fine(ish)

Rang the vets an she said there is nowt they can do as they need to see her in the fit to be able to determine what it is.

Has anyone else on here experienced anything the like? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers Lads.

My old dog had small fits, couldn't stand, went rigged and shook perhaps once a month. Very sad at first but you get used to it. Used to be able to perdict just before it happend as he had a strong metallic smell. Still lived to 14.

I had a stafford about fifteen years ago ,i had bred myself , started having fits about once every two weeks, they would last about five minutes during wich he would empty his bowels and bladder and foam at the mouth , but would always be running around like nothing had happend after,

my vet thought it may be epilepsy or a possible brain tumour, as the dog was only eleven months old he advised keep record of the fits and bring him back if they start every few days , as the treatment for epilepsy is pills that the dog will build up a resistance to,

things got gradually worse and at eighteen months he had three fits in one day the last leaving him paralysed and in a catotonic state i rushed him to the vet who said it was a tumour and he was pts

tho fits can be caused by over excitement , heat ,etc

i genuinly hope your dog will be fine atb phil

Hi I had a working lab which my parents got me when i left school and was mad keen to be a keeper and at 7 yr old

he started having these fits every now and then which sounds similar to your dog, I took him to the vets who thought

that it was epilepsy and put him on tablets for it but they made no difference and over the following months he began

having more regular fits but the vet still maintained that epilepsy was the cause.

After a few more months with no improvement he had three fits in one day the last being at 2 in the morning so i

called the vet to say enough was enough and i wanted to have him pts

I took him into the surgury where i was met by a different vet who before looking at the computer records that the

previous vet had written told me that the dog certainly had a brain tumor and that there was nothing that could be

done. I then asked him why the f**k this wasnt spotted 12 months earlier by the other vet and it would have saved

the dog alot of stress and suffering and saved me a huge hole in my wallet... He didnt have an answer for me :wankerzo4:.

I hope that this Isnt the case with your bitch mate but if the fits continue with same simptoms just bear this in mind.

Drifter

Hi I had a working lab which my parents got me when i left school and was mad keen to be a keeper and at 7 yr old

he started having these fits every now and then which sounds similar to your dog, I took him to the vets who thought

that it was epilepsy and put him on tablets for it but they made no difference and over the following months he began

having more regular fits but the vet still maintained that epilepsy was the cause.

After a few more months with no improvement he had three fits in one day the last being at 2 in the morning so i

called the vet to say enough was enough and i wanted to have him pts

I took him into the surgury where i was met by a different vet who before looking at the computer records that the

previous vet had written told me that the dog certainly had a brain tumor and that there was nothing that could be

done. I then asked him why the f**k this wasnt spotted 12 months earlier by the other vet and it would have saved

the dog alot of stress and suffering and saved me a huge hole in my wallet... He didnt have an answer for me :wankerzo4:.

I hope that this Isnt the case with your bitch mate but if the fits continue with same simptoms just bear this in mind.

Drifter

My 3 year old patt has similar fits, not very often though. Took him to vets they said it may be slight epliepsy and said trying to treat it could make it worse. they just gave me some sedatives to give him and calm him down make him a bit more comfortable during the fits, they told me not to worry to much unless it starts happening more often.

Well Lads, cheers for replies. She had her second fit today, so I'm fearing the worst. Exactly the same as yesterdays. Poor little mite don't know where she is after its all done.

Just have to look after her best I can till I know for sure what the crack is. both times its happened after running around like a nutter so maybe that could be linked or the fact that she's due her 1st season???????

Cheers again, Burt.

2 in such a short space of time isnt good mate.I would if you can video the fit on your phone or camera to show the vet perhaps.Could be epilepsy or was it in the same place maybe she had a reaction to something.Been here with 2 dogs of mine and heavy dyed stuff can set it off like tennis balls or bright coloured fabrics cleaning products shake and vac to name but a few dyes in the food can be a big factor.If in the house and she starts to twitch or looks like shes going to have a fit turn the t.v off right away as this can cause and prolong fits.

Our Cavalier started having fits after he was hit by a car, no other injuries so there was no guarantee that it was the cause although he was a young dog at the time. In those days the vet handed out medication to try to control the fits, but I understand that isn't always done now. The fits settled down to about one a month, when he started it we had to put him in a quiet dark room and cover with a blanket to keep him warm and then keep him quiet and soothed afterwards. Noise and other stimuli during a fit can make them worse. As with people the dog isn't aware of the fit, just feeling rotten before and after it. Our dog was pts at 4 from a heart problem, common in Cavvies and not connected to the fits.

I really hope you have some good news for your dog, it is horrible to see them like this I know.

• 2 weeks later...

Had a akita that we had pts last year who suffered from fits legs went stiff and she fell to the floor shaking and making a strange sort of noise, the vet seemed to think it was epilepsy but wasn't worth treating as the fits were too infrequent, only happened in hot weather though, the vet also reccomended to give her something cool like a ice lolly {not much good in the field} to help her core temp and sugar levels and the best thing for recovery was a darkened room, hope every thing goes well with you dog mate.

We had our collie pts this time last year. He started at 1 or 2 years old with occasional fits and no medication then went on to have "clusters" which needed anaesthetic to bring him out of - at that point started giving pheno barbitone. He continued having clusters, to begin with probably one every 6 months but gradually got more frequent. Vet started him on bromide as well. (nearly £50 a month for drugs) Heat seemed to trigger them and over exhertion. By the end (he was 9) he was having a major episode roughly twice a month and taking a week to recover. We couldn't take him on more than half an hours walk, worried about throwing a ball for him and had to shut him up on his own away from the other dogs when we weren't there. His final fit cluster went on for over 48 hours and we decided enough was enough for him and for us :cry:

When fitting he would be on his side, legs "running" and mouth "huffing" producing loads of saliva. He would lose his bladder and bowels and when going in and out of fit would make a noise between a yelp and a scream as if trying to fight it. Inbetween actual fits he was like a happy drunk and would walk (was compelled to walk - couldn't stay still) around and bump into things if you didn't steer him away from them (furniture/walls/plants/pond!)

He was a good boy though and we miss him but don't regret ending his life - he couldn't do any of the things he enjoyed any more and watching him go through the fits was harrowing.

I hope it doesn't come to that with your dog - it could be a temporary storm that will clear again in time.

All the best

sheona