Cool pic of my lurcher in action

What sort of hawk is it? :)

Male gyrfalcon x prairie falcon.

Gyr-Prairie_DSC4321.jpg

all the best Dirtwinger

What a beautiful bird. I caught a very young female coopers hawk in one of my pigeon traps a couple of years ago. They've been on my mind ever since.

I've hunted Jack rabbits in southern Idaho. From what I remember, they're just jogging along til they lay their ears back. is that correct?

ATB

Coopers do like pigeon traps, I had one kill six pigeons in one of my traps last year. Depends on the jack, often they have been chased by coyotes and mutts before and know they have speed to spare. They think a sighthound is the same for a few seconds then realize they are not pulling away and the dog is getting closer, then the ears come down and the gears change as they go "Oh Sh*t. But if they have been run before they often blast off from the start.

all the best Terence

Nice pics mate. Does the dog not barrel in on the Falcon if it catches and does the falcon never get wound up if the dog snatches a jackrabbit from under its nose (or beak i guess :p). Must be a mega trained team youve got there :D.

Nice pics mate. Does the dog not barrel in on the Falcon if it catches and does the falcon never get wound up if the dog snatches a jackrabbit from under its nose (or beak i guess :p). Must be a mega trained team youve got there :D.

The dog helps the falcon kill the hare, the bird doesnt resent it at all as hares are a handful for a 1lb 8oz bird. I did have one dog last year that would run off with the hares that pissed the bird off so I gave the dog to a friend without falcons to course with. My other falcon is very aggressive on the kill towards the dogs and they know to not mess with him. Cog the bird I'm flying right now is relaxed with the dogs and they will hang out at the kill together no problem. Heres a pic from last season with Cog and Percy.

jan29cog.jpg

All the best Terence

brilliant mate well done! where they taken with an SLR?

I always thought professional photographers used polariod camera's lol

Serious now, I've just had a look at the exif data on the images and the photographer used a Nikon D90 to take the shots using shutter priorty at an iso of 400 at F14

hope that helps

cracking pics BTW

Not exactly professional with those settings.... playing it safe I reckon.... I'd have used iso 200, manual setting.... Shutter speed of 1250 at F7.1 :yes: