electric fencing

hi folks,just got hold of some new permission,loaded with rabbits but the problem i can see is alot of electric fencing to keep the sheep in, has anyone had experience with this and any suggestions how to best deal with it,atb jamiew

Not that much of a worry where i am, i am more concerned about old fence posts and barbed wire on my permission.

I guess the dogs will see it and jump it, hopefully!

jumpings not an option as the fencings up against old hawthorn hedges,thanks for the reply tho,

Electric fencing isn't a problem, might give the dog a jolt but at least it won't give you a vets bill like barbed wire can do

true, but when they have had smacks from them [E.F] , it can sometimes put a dog of striking at a rabbit when it runs to the edge. :wallbash: As you say not as bad as[ b w], but[ both] can+will feck your dog in the long term.??

you got permission ,then just turn it of when you enter and dont forget to turn it back on when you leave , then you got no problem .its not rocket science . and take your dog in there in the day light so he knows its there .

Edited by UNFIT
be careful mate a dog hitting wire that thin at speed could slice your dog up pretty badly

Can't see that myself. :no: It's only like bailer twine not razor wire! :D

How does bailer twine carry an electric current? Ours is probably as thick as 4z nylon line with a strand of wire twisted through it to carry the current and would be very unforgiving to anything hitting it at speed :yes:

the other type is same make up but forms a mesh 4"-6" square foxes, hares and rabbits soon learn to steer clear of these when put up and switched

jamiew as has been mentioned it would be a good idea to disconnect one of the clips prior to lamping but be sure to reconnect it when you've finished

Y.I.S Leeview

Electric fencing isn't a problem, might give the dog a jolt but at least it won't give you a vets bill like barbed wire can do

true, but when they have had smacks from them [E.F] , it can sometimes put a dog of striking at a rabbit when it runs to the edge. :wallbash: As you say not as bad as[ b w], but[ both] can+will feck your dog in the long term.??

thanks bird thats my concern,

be careful mate a dog hitting wire that thin at speed could slice your dog up pretty badly

Bollocks, the plastic poles that hold the wire will bend & the chances are its that close to the hedge it is just as likely to hit the hedge/fence like in any other situation

Can't see that myself. :no: It's only like bailer twine not razor wire! :D

How does bailer twine carry an electric current? Ours is probably as thick as 4z nylon line with a strand of wire twisted through it to carry the current and would be very unforgiving to anything hitting it at speed :yes:

the other type is same make up but forms a mesh 4"-6" square foxes, hares and rabbits soon learn to steer clear of these when put up and switched

jamiew as has been mentioned it would be a good idea to disconnect one of the clips prior to lamping but be sure to reconnect it when you've finished

Y.I.S Leeview

I meant the thickness off it...