Best bedding

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

and before i used shredded paper and sawdust/wood shavings i had loads of ticks so i changed to this and i havent had one sinse

I haven't had one for a while but i think its off the cats from number 7 they got like 5 so ill get my :gunsmilie: out tonight lol

There on the farms and that so probably getting the tick off them

i cover all the bottom of the cage with wood shavings and use hay for the bedding and all the time i have had ferrets i have not had any problems with ticks. ;)

same her mate just clean them out 3 or 4 times a week jays them wood shavings and straw for the bed and i have never had any ticks ever and 3 times a week when i handle them i have a towel with detol on it works wonders

I use them dog fleeces from pound shop for bed and woodbased cat litter in the trays and lino on the shed floor. I dont use straw cos it can harbour

ticks and that and there as been a few stories of ferrets geting straw in their eyes and some had male ferrets with

straw stuck up their "privates" ouch!

Edited by joe14

My 3 are not working ferrets but they are kept on the kids old duvets and some blankets the toilet area is newspaper which is cleaned daily !! I tried the straw and woodshavings but apart from making them sneeze it kept sticking to my feet and kept trailing it into the house ( soon put a stop to that )!

None of my 3 ferrets have had ticks or my 4 cats (had my cats for 4 years and previous to that kept cats at my parents and never had tics we lived right next to fields as I do now) I dettol the hutches down every 2 weeks just dettol and water in a squirty bottle reduces flys and keeps pests away (fleas ticks etc) for bedding they have shavings hay and some material like old jeans cut up or some cheap material from fabric shop (left in a meter square) they love making a nest with it!!! I also treat them with beaphar Anti-Parasite Spot On!!!!

Just a quick tip here, i only use wood shavings for bedding and i bag it into around 3 or 4 large carrier bags from the main bale and i pop it in the chest frezzer for 48 hrs, this way any unwanted visitors in the shavings are dead when you get it out to put it in the court.

Just my little way, but seems to work pretty good.

for bedding i use loads of shredded paper and for the run i use woodshavings ive had my ferret for about 2 months now and only had 1 tick and that was in the first week

i was thinking about using hay for the bedding but i dont no just incase it will bring ticks :)

jasper.