ok... you bought a camera bought a lens... like me your a newbie to it, how do you know if your lens is a pap one or just reasonable or prity good?

you use it, use the camera settings, then proces the pics to see what comes out, the more you know about all three the better you'll be, and more obvious it becomes to weather your kits good or just plain old shit with a good advertising scheme.

here's one to look at the stuff... get something square'ish on a lined backround, what ever the item is it needs lots of shapes n lines so you can see if its out of focus or whatever... or where it's focusing acording to your veiw finder/screen verses where it actualy is at.

theres vignetting, vinetting, barrel distortion..blair, you name it there's a word for it lol... the basic saying you pay for what you get applies if it's actualy a hi class lens, although even those have had the odd let down. But, for the midrange to cheapies it means didly squot. you get on the net one guys sais ''yeh terific'' another sais ''neh it's shit'' then the next guy guy sais ''ooooooh-fur-the-money it's got gadgets on...even a portable microwave with a GPS and liquid nitrogen inter cooler''...problem i it brakes in a week and the lens are shit so no image....

there's dood who made a carrer out of cheapy tamarons, the bottom end of the range stuff, then hoby'ist's with 15k of stuff using the auto modes and taking heaps-crap... so horses for courses. you wont know till you try, and you wont learn much listing to guys who dont actualy want you to know how etc etc....after all theyre kings in their feilds, any bugger else is compatision.

heres the spounge..i focused about the top layer and then increased the f/ (apature number) untill 3/4's was in clear in focus, not all because i saved a bit for processing to see what came out, or 'what i could do' with it.

the lines on the case lid show focus, or the gradual effect of from in focus to out of focus, this is caused by the f/ being to hi or too low.. so you need to know what your apature does, does hi a number its well blurred out and can look like a heap-a-doo doo or good, depends on what your doing to summut.

the faster the shutter speed in this lighting makes it darker because theres no light in the sencer for long enough..things change though, and again how will you know unless you play a bit?

the iso..well, does affect things, agin you need to tri it and see..

here's the spounge in daylight, well..day shadows lol, it was early dark skies and the front room although you could see enough i wouldnt of found a screw on the carpet without a torch lol.

dayspounge.jpg

daylightbw2.jpg

seems better...so the lens may not be a total wash out... could have been the rong kind of lighting, or too bright a light...or to direct etc etc.

the rest could be my leval of processing...etc etc...

Do you really, really want to know how to photograph a perfectly exposed, perfectly lit, perfectly focused pan scourer?

I'd suggest you do the washing up instead...

it was there at the time lol...but yes a perfect shot would be good...of anything, once you do one you'll do another...and another.

http://www.ephotozine.com/article/How-ePHO...s-lens-tests-68

http://www.sigmauser.eu/content/view/82/9/

http://www.coloursmag.com/?p=782

There's some reading material for you :)

But lens testing is an incredibly boring procedure, involving tripods, tape measures, lighting variations, etc etc. and you're not a newbie at this photography thing any more, so go take some nice pics with your nice Canon lens ;)

The first pics you took seem to have a white balance problem more than anything... Don't forget to test at your camera's optimum ISO setting too, which I believe is 100 iso for that camera. Use tripod and manual focus. Make sure you have no noise reduction or sharpening applied. Test for CA in high contrast situation, etc etc

Lenses do vary, as do people's opinions of them. I thought the 18-55 was an ok lens until I got my mitts on the 17-40... who's the dude who made a career out of using a Tamron? what's the secret? ;) I kind of resent what you say about pro photographers... there are a lot of helpful ones out there. Sure, they get pissed off with amateurs who think they know it all, and can suddenly go pro because they've got a dslr, but on the whole they are willing to share advice. Maybe it's the way they are asked? In the past I have had dealings with some who were as famous for their sarcasm as they were their photography, and got nothing but good advice from them :) Eventually you'll develop your own style of photography, and it will be unique to you, so you will only be a threat to anyone if you try to exactly replicate their work, so I think I've told you enough already...

the tamron guy was on some website, used the 18-105mm thingie, a 60 doller lens on other reveiws and forums, sposed to be awful, but he did model shots, and people liked um, the one's i saw were more than ok...

the pro togs writing the reveiws in an airgun mag style are the ones.... cleverly worded as to tell all about it, alas any relavence is neather hear nor there, lol.... a sarky apinion maybe but a spades a spade.... ans coment like 'some thing you really need to know...wofle wofle wofle, it's 'called this'...i'm a top pro and my stuff's good' lolol when do they ever get tothe important thing, other than it may exsist?

fair do's though, there are a few out there that exsplain it properly....

i'll have a read of those sights, but if its charts of unseable spectrums.... not of that much use without the relative bumf and what it does on a processing program for the follow up.

end of the day 0.0002 nanotraniums above the iso metrolatic bar,, followed by ooooo went the crowd means diddley squot lol.... till you take a shot then play with it. well...as a semi newbie that doesnt know yet lol.

the key bit is howed you get to know.....2 hour walk or a 2 minute spounge at night when your twitching to photogragh an all time great? sniggers... yu gotta do it haveny yu lol.

hmmm ty Tuttles, thats some of the graghs sorted, but... unless your folking out a few K the test is still put it on and try it.. the fraize 'who cares as long as it does what i want it to' has turned up a few times, but then again after a grand plus i'd want facts abd ficures, and it'd better be better lol...

one thing i have noted is that low light bright light tests arent that comon? unless i never found them (that is possable lol).. for example, one lens fails in low twighlite it is very good in high light.. etc.. and as the light changes so does the shutter speed/iso/apature to get a 'look' or 'style' going..(it is posable better lens arnt as 'bad' at variating, then again if they dont get the look because of a lesser set up..then the cheapies are needed to do so etc..i wont know till i get better and use the better stuff i think...)

so for the layman maybe it is just take a few..see how it goes, the more progressed like yourself already know the diference having bin there and got the T shirt.. so it's sort of subject to not just whats best but what camera and an individuals skill and understanding.

my test still stands, i've had two lenses that didnt show the same as the 'test' pics and comparison, hendse i'm a wee bit distant to those. alas i cant feny the nikon VR's or the canon L's dunt arf do a nice picture...noticabley better at a glance.

and of course, as a snap shot, any jpeg will do...as a peace of art or for hi pay it does need more skill on the pc, not just the camera....

lol i'll probably eat my words later down the line...things change as you go dont they lol.....

Edited by ghillies

yup, i thinkthats part of the compasition..getting the right angle, thats anther reason for the square spounge and lined base..taint always as easy as it looks is it lol...live n learn as they say lol.

ty for posative feed back there.. tuttles and lurcher'ess lol.

yup, i thinkthats part of the compasition..getting the right angle, thats anther reason for the square spounge and lined base..taint always as easy as it looks is it lol...live n learn as they say lol.

ty for posative feed back there.. tuttles and lurcher'ess lol.

just keep trying ;)