i can get bailey to sit and stay and fecth things back hes cani good .what els can i try with him i want him to be a good dog on the lead he seems to pull alot when out walkign him ?

What lead do you use? I always use a standard gun dog slip lead. I like to use it high up on the neck. When he pulls, try a gentle tug sideways to let him know the behaviour is unwanted instead of pulling back against him in some kind of competition. I also find it pays to praise the dog when they are not pulling.

The more I relax, the more relaxed the dog becomes. Try walking without such a tight lead (where safe). The 5 month old bitch I have now tends to pull when she's excited or scared, I have aslo read that it can be a sign of dominance. Patience and practice does seem to work for me though.

i can get bailey to sit and stay and fecth things back hes cani good .what els can i try with him i want him to be a good dog on the lead he seems to pull alot when out walkign him ?

What lead do you use? I always use a standard gun dog slip lead. I like to use it high up on the neck. When he pulls, try a gentle tug sideways to let him know the behaviour is unwanted instead of pulling back against him in some kind of competition. I also find it pays to praise the dog when they are not pulling.

The more I relax, the more relaxed the dog becomes. Try walking without such a tight lead (where safe). The 5 month old bitch I have now tends to pull when she's excited or scared, I have aslo read that it can be a sign of dominance. Patience and practice does seem to work for me though.

we have summit like this but tan in coulor the lead .when people walk past us he seems to pull alot but not exicted way like a angery way :blink:

post-38386-1253185738_thumb.jpg

No disrepect to the other lads .Its not down to leads.When the dog pulls shout heal .stop and turn the other way.It some time takes a few weeks but the dog will learn in the end.The reason most dogs pull is they know when they get to a field or were they know the lead is coming off.They try there best to get there quick Or as pups they see some think they like and go for it.Same rules.Another thing we tend to do when training is take them to the same place.And most often do the same old things .Dont forget in the end the dog gets board and start to play up You have to keep the pup thinking its a game.Because pups love to play.If you start being to strict to a pup or young dog.It can all go down hill from there.And you have only yourself to blame.Give it time and you will get results.Catcher :thumbs:

Good advice Catcher....... ;)

Anyone who wants a decent book about dog training should try and get hold of a copy of Gundog Traing by Moxon (I think its Moxon any way) and old book but its all in there and it will apply to any type of dog mostly.

Edited by WILF
im sure my dad has that book plus hes old ;)

Take time to read it Leanne, its worth the time......all the best with your dog.

thanks wilf ;)

i have this book it is p.r moxon and it is good the advice applies to all dogs i have gundogs, lurchers and terriers and the basic principles aply to all breeds more dog owners should read training advice such as this. (i mean pet dog owners) as workers are generally well behaved and do as they are told. we have all come accross pets runnin wild off the lead lookin for trouble and obviously the leader of their particular pack.

Edited by Steve McHardy
No disrepect to the other lads .Its not down to leads.When the dog pulls shout heal .stop and turn the other way.It some time takes a few weeks but the dog will learn in the end.The reason most dogs pull is they know when they get to a field or were they know the lead is coming off.They try there best to get there quick Or as pups they see some think they like and go for it.Same rules.Another thing we tend to do when training is take them to the same place.And most often do the same old things .Dont forget in the end the dog gets board and start to play up You have to keep the pup thinking its a game.Because pups love to play.If you start being to strict to a pup or young dog.It can all go down hill from there.And you have only yourself to blame.Give it time and you will get results.Catcher :thumbs:

I tried this approach for the last four or five days and it's better and easier than what I was doing. Thanks.

I tried this approach for the last four or five days and it's better and easier than what I was doing. Thanks.

Cheers Cochyn.Glad i could help.atb. Catcher :thumbs: