This is proberly a daft question

TJH

Mate their are plenty of breeds that will do what you are after the ridgeback is just one of them I got my first ridgeback 30yrs ago for the same reason Ive owned 12 over the years all have been exerlent companions though not all have had good enough prey drive. and contry to popular beleif they are a very hardy breed with minimal trips to the vet required. now days I spend most of my hunting time after pig or fox and find the ones I have now exerlent on both. I also run staghounds for the fast game and the ridgebacks are very handy at finishing the job of as they have good strong jaws.

not all dogs suit everyone thats why there are so many breeds all I can say is my dogs suit me.

stevemac

hiya ive had salukix's that would nail any trying to break in or bull x's seem to just put people off anyway

i was just going to say exactly the same thing some of them saluki crosses are very suspitious of strangers and make good guard dogs,

lets face it anything big will do as a deterrent my bull cross is over head height to the windows rnd the house good luck to all who would try an get in or there are the alunt crosses if you like the a mate of mine has one (big stu on here) his pup is massive at only 7mnths bout 26tts an a great lookin dog last time i saw it. the aluants are natural gaurds.

Im looking at geting a dog Im looking at a ridge back as I want a kind of guard dog which I can work to & we have really only got space for one dog & I woundered if they would be any good as a lamping Dog. Ta Tom

I've had RRs for about 25 years. They are a great house dog - just their presence is enough of a deterrant for a wrong doer! But they probably don't have the turn of speed that you are after if you want bunnies. They can and do catch them, but will be outrun by a lurcher. However, they do have great endurance and mighty powerful jaws. Personally, I wouldn't keep them as a kennel dog - they don't have much coat and will fret on their own outside. They will do a much better job of guarding your home and your family if they are inside.

If you do decide to get one, be careful where you go. Too many people are now just churning out pups, with no thought to temperament or health issues. The parents should both be hip scored by the British Veterinary Association - don't accept "Oh, the vet has said they are fine!". Having said that, RRs generally have good hips. And the pups MUST be checked for dermoid sinus by someone who really knows what they are doing. And a decent RR is going to cost you more than your average lurcher :)

HTH

i find my lurcher to be a good enough guard and a ridgeback couldnt live with her work wise and at a fraction of the cost jmho mate ;)
bull cross

do you mean a bull cross greyhound if so what percentage i also like deerhound crosses as they are huge and would be a good deterant what are the deerhound crosses like to work? Any pics of a bull deerhound cross or that kind of combination? Ta tom