Nice pic mate looks good what's that red line

I used a sigma 300 lens full on. took the picture. zoomed in on photoshop and then cropped it, its just something to do with the lens, because as I zoom out as the pic was taken it disappears. I'm not very technical on cameras, I have only had this 450d canon for three weeks or so.

I'm still playing with all the settings.

The red line could be chromatic abberation caused by the high contrast of the bright moon against the dark sky. This will show up more at high zoom. You can correct this in PS I believe...

The settings I used to take this moon shot with a 300D and canon 75-300 lens were ISO 200 1/160 sec f5.6. It came out a bit bright so I adjusted the levels slightly in PS.

gallery_25292_2611_18724.jpg

This is a crop as even at 300mm the moon doesn't fill much of the frame... still came in handy for sticking on other images... ;)

gallery_25292_2611_28056.jpg

The red line could be chromatic abberation caused by the high contrast of the bright moon against the dark sky. This will show up more at high zoom. You can correct this in PS I believe...

Thanks for that, I am new to this dslr business, and I find it very helpful when people put the type of camera and some settings. I find your posts informative.

Did you take the shot in b/w or was that in ps afterwards?

Fantastic shot. regards jay (share hunting forum with hubby hence " landrover!")

Thanks. :)

I always shoot in RAW format, which doesn't apply any settings "in camera", then convert them to tiff or jpeg format. This means you get a very basic (but hopefully correctly exposed) image to start with, but have to use software to convert the image & edit it for web or printing.

Early on I found that it's always best to shoot in colour, just in case :) you can always convert it to B&W later!

Good luck with your new camera Jay - experimenting is always fun & you're doing well so far :)