Stutzen/full stock rifles?

the full stock was devised to protect the shorter barrel in mountains. and it can effect the barrel movement( you may find that after 3 or4 shots the poi changes)

must not be the case. some of the newer ones have somehow gotten over the issue.

cheers

Hi all,

is there any difference in accuracy between a center-fire rifle with a free floating barrel and a stutzen/full-stock rifle of the same make, model and caliber? Does the full-stock affect accuracy at all?

I used to have a stutzen (ruger) in .243", what a lovely classic stalking rifle. I blooming loved that rifle but the POI changed after two shots, in the damp, in the sun, in the summer, in the winter..... Not by much, but yes there is a difference. Not sure about the newer rifles tho.

From what I have been told, if you get a good'un, it's great but most are bad'uns.

John

forgoy to say that the poi will return to normal when cooled down ( prob quite obviuos to most of the readers) if you know the rifle its not a problem. when a quick sequence of shots fired etc. important to know the reaction and waiting times.

i suppose we rarely shoot more than 2 or 3 shots depending on use.

not sure how you would get a mod on one though?

atb

I had a BSA CF2 in 243 & 222 & they were great. I used the 243 all the time & had no probs with the poi after 4-5 shots. My dad now has my 222 & its not seen day light in years & was very accurate i loved the stuzens. My mate had a manlicher 243 & that moved about a bit so he got rid of it but it was a very nice rifle.

Hi all,

is there any difference in accuracy between a center-fire rifle with a free floating barrel and a stutzen/full-stock rifle of the same make, model and caliber? Does the full-stock affect accuracy at all?

I don't want to get into any arguments about this, but I do have a long-standing interest in military small-arms. The full barrel length fore end was used to protect the barrel from damage in close combat if you whacked some f**cker across the head with it. It also made it easier to "Stack Arms" in camp. The comment about about the Lee-Enfield is interesting. In 1944 the MOD introduced the "Jungle Carbine." This was a SMLE with the barrel cut down by 5 inches, the fore end reduced, and the action lightened. It turned out over the next couple of years that it suffered from "Wandering Zero". The general opinion now is that this was because the shortened barrel did not allow the full powder charge to be burned before the bullet exited the barrel. It is not down to the length of the stock so much as the length of the barrel, and the burn rate of the charge. Basically, carbines firing rounds designed for full length barrels are inherently inaccurate.

Ric

the stutzen i have used have all been accurate,the problem being that the barrel is fixed. any heat will cause expansion and change of poi.

in quick succesion shots will wander,a cooling period( gun specific) will alow the poi to revert.

a gun smith who cut down my8x57 mauser told me he would cut off bit for bit untill he had "around the length" i wanted ( 43 cm from bolt to muzzle, the minimum allowed in germany for along weapon) as the accuracy may suffer if cut in the drall( spiraling of the barrel,only know the german word for it sorry. rifling may be the moer precise :icon_redface: )

as with many rifles we have to find out what suits the barrel and the quarry we aim to hunt.

probably the two best shooting rifles i have had the pleasure to have used have been a .308 stutzen( hand picked barrel of around 50cm) and a half stocked remington mohawk .222. both keyholed at 100m as opposed to my 30.06 spr with a 1/2 -1 inch group all rifles were fixed( i don't shoot that well!!!) all were a mauser 98 system.

as with all weapons accuracy can vary from barrel to barrel. the germans have used the stutzen for a long time( complicatin matters with berg stutzen,double barreled rifles of the same/different calibers) and seem to prefer them in the mountains of bavaria etc. they are well suited to stalking and hide shooting. if you know the rifle and its reactions to shots fired.

as such i would not say that accuracy is a problem with stutzen,but with the shooter( no offence intended).

atb