rifles and airoplanes

Normally you need to notify the airline in advance and the rifle must be in an approved airline case. The airline will normally have a section on their web site relating to firearms and ammo. If the details for the specific airline aren't available I would ask a travel agent to call them direct

helo guys, planning on going to south africa next year, but before i book the trip i wanted to get abit of info about taking my rifle out there.......?

anyone done it before? is it more hassle than its worth?

As said above, you must make sure the police and the airline are aware of your plans. After all, if some guy tries to walk onto a plane with a 270 in his hand baggage it might give the wrong impression. Then you see your mate and call out "HI Jack" and the s**t hits the fan!

However you cannot take expanding ammunition abroad. You can arrange for a RFD to deliver ammo for collection at your destination, but I imagine that if you are using a popular calibre you will be able to buy ammo in SA without much hassle.

RicW

A friend of mine stalks in SA a great deal and goes out there four or five times a year.

He makes arrangements with the following,

1. British Police and Customs at the Airport,

2. His airline,

3. South African Police,

4. The company he is shooting with.

He informs the transport police of his intentions who then inform customs, this leads to the guns being taken off him at the Customs desk and put aboard the plane.

His airline need to be informed and ask what arrangements have been made with police and customs, if they are satisfied then they allow it.

The South African police need to meet the rifles the other side and check licenses etc, I believe they issue a temporary permit after they have liased with the shooting company.

The shooting company will normally take care of most of the licensing paperwork and meet you at the airport to liase with SA police.

I don't know what regulations airlines have with ammunition but SA have most calibres readily available so i'm told, .270, .308, .375 H&H etc

hi,

i regulay travel abroad with shotguns to compete and find that where you travel from and to has a big difference on how well you get on. some airports are brilliant, eastmidalands for example. i have heard many horror stories about some airports but then speak to someone else how tells you they had no problems going through, half the time they dont no what they are doing. also be careful when you land, sometimes everything thing will be ok but i flew into berlin last year and the first items to come round on the caresel were the 2 shotguns with 'FIREARMS' plastered all over the side!

as said earlier certain airlines take guns, some dont. i usually use easy jet. and they are ok. also mentioned earlier was that u need a flight case, they are usulay metal ones but most plastic cases are also approved.

good luck with your trid and i hope it is successful