using a .243 sound moderator for .22-250

that is the point i was trying to get at. just because the "hole in the end" is the right size or bigger i would not use the mod without asking a professional first. not being picky or snotty just my opinion.

the reason i ask the 22/177 question is that i'm getting a 22 with a 177 mod on(sak) and so thanks for the info there.

i'm not saying that it is not safe( indeed i don't qualify to give any advice on mods other than "ask someone who knows the score" as i have never used them, in germany you do not get them).

i hope it works out and would be interested to hear what the result is?

atb

indeed. Manufacturers state the maximum calibre moderators can do. it is NOT a question of a proof mark, for reference, as moderators do not need to be proofed as they are not a firearm or part of one.

Waidmann, in terms of which is greater pressure, you need to be talking volume of powder and bullet weight, therefore energy - 22-250 is smaller than 243 in every way. 30-odd grains of powder vs 38-45 grains, and bullet weights of typically 50 grains vs typically say 85, so obviously if something can handle the bigger calibre it'll work on the smaller one!

hey mr l a mod is classed as a firearm. thast why it has a slot on your ticket. its silly really that you can leave a standard air rifle mod out and there is nothing they can do about it ! but if you leave a mod out the gun cabinet off your rifles your breaking the law as it should be locked away :(

Jamie, for licensing purposes it is, for proof purposes it isn't. Have a read of the Proof Acts, which are very clear on what constitutes a firearm, and thus needs proof, and what doesn't.

yes you dont have to have it proofed but it would be against the law to sell it onto someone else. my barrel isnt proffed on my rifle since i had it screwcut. but im not planning to sell it on. if anything i will hav the gun rebarreled next year to 22/250ai. not that my barrel is worn i just fancy something else :D or 243 ai :blink:

It's a right old can of worms, since moderators aren't defined in law. For example, I use my ASE CQB on my air rifle, too, and it works an absolute charm. Don't need it on ticket for an air rifle, although the accepted wisdom is I do because it's made for a centrefire rifle. But again, the law is very vague, as per bloody normal.