Sound Moderators, are they really required?

The other thing is on a light barrel rifle, it will alter the point of impact, not because of the effect of the mod on the bullet, but the effect the weight has on the harmonics of the barrel. It alters my point of impact by 8", so it is either all or nothing..

I noticed this the other day, i though "wounder what my .22 actualy sounds like without a mod on" it was alot louder than i thought it was going to be, and also the POI droped about 1/2in at 25yards without the mod on and i think it was grouping a bit wider than with it on but that might not be true.

I'm putting in for a variation in a few weeks, for a .223 and 6.5x55 and i will put in for a mod on both of these just for my hearings sake.

My .243 with mod has its uses , it doesn,t live on the rifle however .Poi does not change ,so I can pop it on when the need arises ,its nicer to shoot when on however.

My .308 will never wear a mod only because I don,t wish to ruin the classic look of the rifle . I have also taken multiple beasts from a herd unmoderated , so not sure it makes a difference there either imho.

The hearing protection think is very important, but you don't need a moderator for self protection. Even the 10 a penny disposable ear plugs will have a greater impact in terms of hearing protection than any moderator on a centre fire. You only need put them in when actually taking a shot, and there should be time when setting up for a long range shot. And it's just as critical when shotty gunning, probably more so due to the number of shots taken. Then they are best worn consistantly but that does add the issue of being aware of sounds around you, but if you deafen yourself youv'e got that issue anyway?. Tried the selective/headphone type as used by clay shooters, but not for me sitting out.

Back on track I think any addition to the kit that makes shooting more sociably acceptbe is a good thing, too many do gooders seem incensed by the sound of gunshots, if we can shoot without offence then so much the better. :victory:

Round my way, the best thing about a moderator is it allows you to shoot a rifle and not have as many people complaining at you! There are houses within unmoderated earshot of all my permissions, and with a moderator they barely hear a thing. Still the odd grumble, but it's a grumble, not a stand-up row.

Moderators can be badly balanced behemoths, or they can be lightweight and effective. Key is getting the right one! A new market, and many ignorant customers. There are many piss-takes on price, but ASE or a P8 compact work pretty well. These new titanium moderators promise much, be interested to have a butcher's at one of them...