ferret ticks

Hi I'm new to ferreting and keeping ferrets I went out with my Jill the other day and now I have noticed she had a few ticks so I removed them but one of them popped and the head was left in. Do I need to take her to the vets or will she be ok? Its just that I have heard it could get infected.

Hi I'm new to ferreting and keeping ferrets I went out with my Jill the other day and now I have noticed she had a few ticks so I removed them but one of them popped and the head was left in. Do I need to take her to the vets or will she be ok? Its just that I have heard it could get infected.

click the link on my sig , its all about ticks & very informative ;)

How often should you front-line them? Shop by me its £4 for 5 tubes of it is that ok?

That aint the proper frontline for that price,think i paid nearly £18 from the vets unless i was ripped off

Guest porterlord

i got told about nail varnish remover dont know how true it is some may know on here

Edited by porterlord

Frontline is ok, but sometimes it doesn't keep them off for more than a few weeks. They recommend redose every 4 weeks for ticks, so probably best to check ferrets as soon as you can and remove ticks with a tick picker immediately, hopefully before they start to feed. But be careful if they do pop when you're handling them because you are at risk too :o

There is lots of info on Kay's link.

Apart from the disease risk, animals can sometimes have an allergic reaction to tick bites, specially if the head is left in. If the bite starts to swell or gets red, oozy & crusty give a good clean with hibiscrub twice a day and use a soothing antiseptic ointment or anti-bacterial powder. If you are worried consult your vet, but hopefully your ferret will be fine :)

How often should you front-line them? Shop by me its £4 for 5 tubes of it is that ok?

That aint the proper frontline for that price,think i paid nearly £18 from the vets unless i was ripped off

yes i agree with you its not frontline for that price

i got told about nail varnish remover dont know how true it is some may know on here

never use that mate

I'd invest in a set of tick pickers, they're only a fiver and are worth their weight in gold. Pick off all the ones you can see, then turf out all bedding, shavings from the hutch, and treat the whole living area with a good aerosol insecticide. Make sure you remove the ferrets from the living area for a few hours when you do this, and don't scrimp with teh spray. Make sure you get into all the nooks & crannies with the spray, because it only takes a few ticks to re infest the area. The little pin head sized young ticks can get into the tiniest gaps.