FAC shotgun?

forget fac shotgun get a rimfire mate

i have 9 shot 23inch barrel wingmaster pump, when asked why i needed it i replied it is very usefull for knocking out maggie nests as after 3 or 4 shots the bird often flies out and you still have rounds left, fac man said thats good enough

I was just about to say the same for squirrels, a 5 or more shot auto would be a very good tool for such a job. The only other alternative is to have numerous guns ready to shoot, say one shooting the drey out and a couple more for bolters, but a FAC auto would solve this.

on our beaters day at the shoot where i beat the under keeper was loading for me with his benelli 10 shot simi auto, thats bloody good fun but like you say it takes a bit of getting used to, but atfer the first drive i was hitting most things that came over and didnt even need to reload more than once.

but it takes a bit of getting used to having cartridge smelling gasses blowing out of the breech in your face.

I have an FAC shotgun & it is very good for its intended use but you should keep it quite about using it on game etc. I will state this reason for below.

because he is the underkeeper he has game on his ticket for taking out pricked birsd after the shoot so hes alright for shooting game.

As i said keep it to your self as i am in very much doubt your mate has it aproved for game as it is ilegal to use any shotgun with more than 3-shot capacity or 2 shot in mag & 1 in the spout for any game/wildfowl in the uk & that is the law. It dose not matter if he is the keeper or not it will only be intended for vermin control under certian conditions on his ticket as & that is fact as i know i have an FAC shotgun open to pigeon/rabbit/crows/fox/stoat etc but game is a no,no even with it with 2 cartridges in the mag it is an FAC gun end of.

If I wanted to apply for a FAC shotgun when i apply for a FAC license, what should i write down on the application sheet? And also, where should i write down that i would like MODERATED rifles. Thanks, Whippeter

Easy Peasy:

The 'Good Reason' for an un-restricted shotgun is for "Shooting Winged Vermin" you MUST use these words, (providing you are not any variety of 'Scroat' and if you are you wouldn't get an FAC anyway) this will fulfill the required criteria.

Regarding the rifle(s), simply apply for 'with a sound moderator' after each/any of the rifle types/calibre you want to own.

The real test of all the above is that YOU have the land and permissions for the use of such guns, and the land is passed off for this class of firearm, if it is no problem, however if you are a 'newbee' with no history you may have to sweet-talk the Firearms Officer, or compromise for the first term of your FAC.

But if you want to shoot this is a cross you will have to bear.

AF

There are without doubt times and reasons why a FAC shotgun would be useful, but think long and hard.

The vast majority of pigeon shooters do a VERY adequate job with 2 barrels or a 3 shot semi! Getting one for rabbit shooting would probably be nearly as hard as finding Rocking Horse s**t!

You will have to show serious justification for a multishot FAC shotgun!

They are more expensive to buy new on the whole but are cheap as chips on the second hand market as there is VERY little demand...they devalue big time!

I have O/U and 3 shot semis and have no need for a FAC shotgun myself, others may find them useful :thumbs: