looking into becoming a first time owner

(i have posted this in the gundog sec tion but thought you guys might be able help me)

i am looking into getting a dog for the first time i am torn between either an ESS or patterdale.

i want a working animal that can flush cover to a gun, retrieve and be of use on a days ferreting, that is marking holes and standing guard.

there are a few things i need to know as i realise how serious taking on a dog is, the dog will live outside in a run, what size should this be and the dog will be walked at least once but mostly twice a day.

is a diet of dry complete working dog food acceptable or should a raw diet be given?

Am i on the right lines of breed or do you have any other suggestions ?

does pet insurance cover the necessary parts for working dogs or is there a special typ of insurance as i would not like to be in a position where i could not cover vets bill?

we have plenty of space in the countryside and unting is really my main hobby so work for the dog would be plentiful,

thanks in advance

atb rob

(i have posted this in the gundog sec tion but thought you guys might be able help me)

i am looking into getting a dog for the first time i am torn between either an ESS or patterdale.

i want a working animal that can flush cover to a gun, retrieve and be of use on a days ferreting, that is marking holes and standing guard.

there are a few things i need to know as i realise how serious taking on a dog is, the dog will live outside in a run, what size should this be and the dog will be walked at least once but mostly twice a day.

is a diet of dry complete working dog food acceptable or should a raw diet be given?

Am i on the right lines of breed or do you have any other suggestions ?

does pet insurance cover the necessary parts for working dogs or is there a special typ of insurance as i would not like to be in a position where i could not cover vets bill?

we have plenty of space in the countryside and unting is really my main hobby so work for the dog would be plentiful,

thanks in advance

atb rob

HI Rob,a lot of questions here but I will try to answer some of them.A ESS and a patterdale are two totaly different dogs,if you need a retriever then dont have a terrier but terriers can be fantastic flush dogs,I go on a shoot that uses terriers and I love watching them flush.

Its good that you take exercising your dog seriously,I take mine for a short walk in the morning and a good hour late afternoon (i've got a border) and a big walk at the weekends

I use burns dried food for convenience but i thaw out some raw chicken wings once a week and a tin of sardines every week,but raw food and bones are better for your dog than dried.

I dont think special insurance is necessary.

If you have a dog,because its your first go to dog obedience classes(they teach you not the dog)there will always be people saying not to bother but it socializes your dog with others.

Mix your dog with other dogs,break them to all livestock,let it be a puppy,just get the basics,sit,come,down,stay dont make too many demands on it and let it be a puppy first.

keep chilled and so will your dog.

Hpoe this helps.Gaz