Lamps & filters

any electricians here surly it would be easy to make a dimmer switch, what do you use to adjust the power?

A dimmer switch :11:

You would need a 12volt 1Way Dimmer switch - dont have a clue where you would get one or how much they would cost.

The wiring would be as follows

+ (live) to main switch

From the switch you would have a SL (Switched Live - Live when its switched :11: )

SL would goto COMMON © side of the dimmer

You would then need another SL from L1 side of the switch which would goto the bulb unit.

Then a - (earth) back down to the battery

Good luck, you'll need it, fiddly little things them lamps

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

any electricians here surly it would be easy to make a dimmer switch, what do you use to adjust the power?

they arent asking much for a dimmer switch,,, £46 includin post :blink: .

All you need is a variable resistor in series. Short out the wiper (slide wire) by soldering to one leg. Doesnt matter whether you put it in +ve or -ve leg as its a dc series circuit. Since most bulbs are either 55W/100W then it means on a 12 V circuit their dragging approx 4 - 8A. Hence the heat you get from them. You therefore need a variable resistor that is capable of this continuous loading otherwise itll burn out. The other way which is how most dimmers work is by using a triac, which is an electrical equivalent of a water tap. The more you turn the tap more water flows. The more you fire the triac, the more the electricity flows. The difficult part is getting a nice off the shelf device to retrofit. Farnell or RS Components have a large selection.

i use a striker 170 but as somebody said they are heavy on batterie.. i have a 17 amp gel batterie and it doesnt last long.. tokk two 17 amp batteries on me back one night so i could lamp a bit longer and i swear its no joke on rough ground with.. got a fox that night so it was worth my while..

I use a striker 170 after years of using a Clulite,I was out with a mate having a look at his new variable power version and Im going to buy one this weekend.Seems to be very handy being able to turn the beam right down.The only thing I dont like about the lightforce lamps is its to noisy to pull the filters off when your using them.I ended up cutting one of the plastic lugs off the filter and its a lot better to use now.The hinged filter on the Clulite is still the best filter set up that ive used.

Guest ADAM AND HIS DOGS

would anyone be interested in drafting an online petition for lightforce to develop a similar filter system to clu lite. then it could be sent to the customer relations. i know a facilty for on line petitionns. might get a response

Guest oldskool

wat about a petition to cluson to see if they will change the housing on the laserlite so u can adjust the size of the beam (narrow or wide)?? to me its the only thing thats missing to make it perfect

Guest ADAM AND HIS DOGS

see the white srew on the back of the lamp. turn it and that narrows and widens the beam. use a flat head screwdriver. anyway with the video sales you are making u could afford all the lamps in all the ranges.

if we want to get changes then a petiton is the way. the filed tests for these lamps are prob only a few folks and who knows what there interests are. i can set up an online petiton no problem.

Guest ADAM AND HIS DOGS

i prefer red myslef though the green is growing on me. the blue is supposed to be good in snow or very wet conditoons. i have not tried it yet or the amber. i might order them now when the season starts.

Guest oldskool

i posted a similar post on the smoochers site about wat colour is best.... the lads on there told me that it didnt matter wat colour filter you use because rabbits and foxes etc are mostly colour blind. the colour makes no difference when fox calling or anything else. one lad said u will get the same result if you can dim down your beam. unfortunatly i had ordered the green filter before i had posted the topic,, [bANNED TEXT] i tried it i found it was a waste of a tenner!! the red one i already had would have done rightly. however, i like the green one because it doesnt cut down the range of the beam as much as the red.

Edited by oldskool