not all bad

For the last few weekends my mate and i have been going out full days trying to get a good bag of pigeon :censored: but for some reason they dont seem to be decoying very well at the moment, plenty of birds in the air but they are not easily tempted into shot :thumbdown: This is a bit of a bummer considering we travel 130 mile round trip. Anyway yesterday we decided to go to our shoots late afternoon, and if nothing happening we would have an hour first dark with the lamp and try for a fox. Scanned the fields of one permission and spotted barley stubble with a good few pigeons on it, trekked down ,set up, and guess what happened---F**k all, birds didn,t come back in i think we shot 5

We then waited for dark my mate took his .22 hornet, me on lamp walked two fields shone into a cut grass field--bloody hell four fox!! my mate shot 2, first at 80yds, second at 50yds, lamped a few more fields spotted another two but shots were not safe. Moved to a different permission my turn with the rifle ( .22K Hornet ) pulled the jeep into a field as i got my rifle out my mate had already scanned the ground and there was a fox about 50yds away, loaded , set the bipod, and fired offthe bonnet of the jeep--1 down for me, as i reloaded another came from behind a bush about 100yds away squeeked him to about 60yds--2 down, walked about 100yards from the jeep gave a few calls, switched on the lamp and there was a fox running flat toward us stopped him at about 80 yds--3 down. could,t believe it 5 fox shot witout walking 200yds ( both permissions ) Stopped in at one of our favorite farms on the way home and managed to bag another one :clapper: Still can,t believe our luck :notworthy: ---final tally = 5 pigeons & 6 Fox, so as i said IT,S NOT ALL BAD

KP

You've just remined me of the ever days shooting I had.

It was very early December, midweek. It was my birthday and had taken the day off for a bit of shooting. To set the scene I need to give a little more detail.

The field I set up in was perfect for the purpose. It was known as the 40 acre field, in reality it was 2 field ploughed into one, the only thing remaining of the original hedge being the "tree island" about 100yds into the centre of the field. 2 big trees only about 10ft apart. Perfect for stringing a met accross and in addition the only 2 trees in and around the field. But it gets even better. The farmer was a well todo contracter, most of the other farms in the area used his combining services. But as is usual he had left his own crops untill last to be cut. We hit a long period of wet weather and it was may weeks before he managed to sow the corn over this field, so much so that every other farmers crops were growing well ahead, and offered no oportunity for feeding pigeon. Every bird in the vacinity was targeting this 1 field. :gunsmilie:

There was a massive flock on the field when I arrived, put a few decoys down and was dropping birds right left and centre. Didn't seem to matter about picking/setting up the birds. I'd taken 100 shells with me and they were soon gone, but I'd probably dropped about 75 birds when I ran out.

The field was secure enough to leave the nets etc, so I set off home, not far, picked up some money and bought another 250 shells. I was back in place within about an hour. It was just like I'd never left, the birds were still there and almost immediately the lead was flying again. After a couple of hours I gave up, my shoulder and cheek had had enough and I think my teeth were stating to rattle. I bagged about 20 birds for eating and collected the rest in. A good bag, mainly woodies but a fair few rock doves and a smattering of ferral birds. I piled them up where I'd been sat scatching my head as to what to do with them. There were over 175 in total. Many, many more than I'd ever shot before or since :victory: The field looked like the national pillow fighting championships had just been held there :clapper:

I left them there determined to come back later with a shovel and bury them.

Later than I'd intended when I got back, so I'd taken the lamp. When I got about 100 yds from the trees I flicked the lamp on and couldn't believe it, 8 sets of eyes peering back at me. Another trip back home to pick up the .22, all the clout I had at the time. Anyway I bagged just 2, out of at least 10 within a couple of hundred yds. Not bad for me, not being an out and out foxhunter :victory:

Best days shooting ever, and will be remembered forever :victory::victory::victory:

I think that one day will stay in my memory forever, normal for me is maybe 5 to 15 birds, and sometimes 0 :whistling::angry:

Did teach me one thing tho', the value of leaving a few dead pigeon about to bring the fox in :thumbs: Also works well with shot rabbits

Edited by cyclonebri1
You've just remined me of the ever days shooting I had.

It was very early December, midweek. It was my birthday and had taken the day off for a bit of shooting. To set the scene I need to give a little more detail.

The field I set up in was perfect for the purpose. It was known as the 40 acre field, in reality it was 2 field ploughed into one, the only thing remaining of the original hedge being the "tree island" about 100yds into the centre of the field. 2 big trees only about 10ft apart. Perfect for stringing a met accross and in addition the only 2 trees in and around the field. But it gets even better. The farmer was a well todo contracter, most of the other farms in the area used his combining services. But as is usual he had left his own crops untill last to be cut. We hit a long period of wet weather and it was may weeks before he managed to sow the corn over this field, so much so that every other farmers crops were growing well ahead, and offered no oportunity for feeding pigeon. Every bird in the vacinity was targeting this 1 field. :gunsmilie:

There was a massive flock on the field when I arrived, put a few decoys down and was dropping birds right left and centre. Didn't seem to matter about picking/setting up the birds. I'd taken 100 shells with me and they were soon gone, but I'd probably dropped about 75 birds when I ran out.

The field was secure enough to leave the nets etc, so I set off home, not far, picked up some money and bought another 250 shells. I was back in place within about an hour. It was just like I'd never left, the birds were still there and almost immediately the lead was flying again. After a couple of hours I gave up, my shoulder and cheek had had enough and I think my teeth were stating to rattle. I bagged about 20 birds for eating and collected the rest in. A good bag, mainly woodies but a fair few rock doves and a smattering of ferral birds. I piled them up where I'd been sat scatching my head as to what to do with them. There were over 175 in total. Many, many more than I'd ever shot before or since :victory: The field looked like the national pillow fighting championships had just been held there :clapper:

I left them there determined to come back later with a shovel and bury them.

Later than I'd intended when I got back, so I'd taken the lamp. When I got about 100 yds from the trees I flicked the lamp on and couldn't believe it, 8 sets of eyes peering back at me. Another trip back home to pick up the .22, all the clout I had at the time. Anyway I bagged just 2, out of at least 10 within a couple of hundred yds. Not bad for me, not being an out and out foxhunter :victory:

Best days shooting ever, and will be remembered forever :victory::victory::victory:

i agree mate, these memories stay with you a lifetime :clapper:

very well done mate, an valiant effort!

i have been fliting between the running dog / lurchers sections of late, there is a lot of aggressive guys down that part of he forum! its nice to see people being encouraged for putting the effort in.

did you get some pics mate? stick them on when you get a chance.

fair play and well one.

i have been fliting between the running dog / lurchers sections of late, there is a lot of aggressive guys down that part of he forum! its nice to see people being encouraged for putting the effort in.

fair play and well one.

Sorry Mate, no pics--- tbh didn,t think we would have a night like that, it was a real shock, i,m still going over the shots in my mind :o Brilliant :clapper: Thanks for the comments :signthankspin:

The way it goes sometimes, I'm always happy to get a couple in a night, 4, and I'm over the moon, and 6 is a rare event! :thumbs:

agree with you there Deker ;) you have to be in the right place at the right time--in this case pure luck :icon_redface:

KP

The way it goes sometimes, I'm always happy to get a couple in a night, 4, and I'm over the moon, and 6 is a rare event! :thumbs:

agree with you there Deker ;) you have to be in the right place at the right time--in this case pure luck :icon_redface:

KP

What's that old saying, "seems the harder I work the luckier I get" :thumbs:

fair play and well one.

Sorry Mate, no pics--- tbh didn,t think we would have a night like that, it was a real shock, i,m still going over the shots in my mind :o Brilliant :clapper: Thanks for the comments :signthankspin:

nevr mind mate, dont forget the camera / phone next time we all like to see people doing well. like you say you got the memory and that all that counts. :clapper:

For the last few weekends my mate and i have been going out full days trying to get a good bag of pigeon :censored: but for some reason they dont seem to be decoying very well at the moment, plenty of birds in the air but they are not easily tempted into shot :thumbdown: This is a bit of a bummer considering we travel 130 mile round trip. Anyway yesterday we decided to go to our shoots late afternoon, and if nothing happening we would have an hour first dark with the lamp and try for a fox. Scanned the fields of one permission and spotted barley stubble with a good few pigeons on it, trekked down ,set up, and guess what happened---F**k all, birds didn,t come back in i think we shot 5

We then waited for dark my mate took his .22 hornet, me on lamp walked two fields shone into a cut grass field--bloody hell four fox!! my mate shot 2, first at 80yds, second at 50yds, lamped a few more fields spotted another two but shots were not safe. Moved to a different permission my turn with the rifle ( .22K Hornet ) pulled the jeep into a field as i got my rifle out my mate had already scanned the ground and there was a fox about 50yds away, loaded , set the bipod, and fired offthe bonnet of the jeep--1 down for me, as i reloaded another came from behind a bush about 100yds away squeeked him to about 60yds--2 down, walked about 100yards from the jeep gave a few calls, switched on the lamp and there was a fox running flat toward us stopped him at about 80 yds--3 down. could,t believe it 5 fox shot witout walking 200yds ( both permissions ) Stopped in at one of our favorite farms on the way home and managed to bag another one :clapper: Still can,t believe our luck :notworthy: ---final tally = 5 pigeons & 6 Fox, so as i said IT,S NOT ALL BAD

KP

Here is some photos off my mobile, i'm the lamp man.

post-18453-1250505956.jpg

post-18453-1250505994_thumb.jpg