Help,

i had my two year old Beddy/Whippet recalling to a whistle well, she always had a think about it but always returned. However lately if she gets a sniff of a bunny she's off, and i mean off the other morning i had the dogs out for a quick walk before work and i had to leave her because she p***ed off.

Unfortunatelly she was waiting for me outside the house when i returned home. She's a lovelly natured dog but no use to me if i cant take her within a mile of rabbits without walking round the fields shouting for her for the next hour. Is it a lost cause or can something be done.

Thanks

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Shes hunting for herself not for you, get yourself a training collar and give her a reminder why she is out with you.

good advice.......i had the same thing with my bitch got a training collar used it a few times and now she spot on dont even need it now!!

Guest fence_hopper

i had the same problem with my first lurcher had her from a pup and she done the same thing. after loosing her about 5 or 6 times ringing the police to see if she's been reported. i took her to a field let her chase a few bunnys she did it again, so back to the van on my tod drove away best thing i ever done.

i had the same problem with my first lurcher had her from a pup and she done the same thing. after loosing her about 5 or 6 times ringing the police to see if she's been reported. i took her to a field let her chase a few bunnys she did it again, so back to the van on my tod drove away best thing i ever done.

what happened to the dog?? :blink:

Help,

i had my two year old Beddy/Whippet recalling to a whistle well, she always had a think about it but always returned. However lately if she gets a sniff of a bunny she's off, and i mean off the other morning i had the dogs out for a quick walk before work and i had to leave her because she p***ed off.

Unfortunatelly she was waiting for me outside the house when i returned home. She's a lovelly natured dog but no use to me if i cant take her within a mile of rabbits without walking round the fields shouting for her for the next hour. Is it a lost cause or can something be done.

Thanks

my dog was exactly the same couldnt let him off near any cattle cos he just ran circles round them taking the piss an the odd kick off them! took 1hr 45mins the last time so i decided to try the collar he was out 4 walks and twice on the lamp and he is a completely different dog i now LOVE him he doesnt run away or bother playing with cattle its worth a go just make sure u use it right!

Guest fence_hopper

what happened to the dog?? :blink:

i dont no i wasnt waiting all day to find out..but i have seen some fella walking a bitch that looked like her in the same area so it's most probably her. but to be honest i dont realy care

Mush i had the exact same problem! i had a bedo whippet and it was a lovely dog around the house and on the park but as soon as it had a sniff of any quarry it was gone and took an age to come back, sadly i got rid, it was no use wat so ever, However i was only 13 at the time, rong dog to start me off, i learned from my mistakes then Got meself a collie/greyhound whippet, a lovely natured dog, a good worker, shows plenty of gameness, but has very brittle bones, and constantly knocking herself up, she sadly retired due to dislocating her leg, but 2 months ago, i got myself a collie/greyhound, hes doing very well :).

get a 30ft lead or make one put her on that let her get say 12ft call her back if she does not give her a check on the lead when she come in to you give her lots of prase it wil take about 2 week to get her right i did all this when i trained protecion dogs so good look with her it will work

Edited by fordie

Sounds like you just need to go back to basic training again? as if you've got a new puppy. Start from the beginning again just this time you can go through the training a bit quicker.

Dogs constantly need small training sessions to keep them on top form, you don't just train them then that's it.

Cheers

Luke

ok i had this problem with one of my dogs as he was a n arrogant f*cker when eh was a pup this is what i done

when the dog comes to you, give them a treat.....

i don't mean wait until your out hunting and then try and do it, cos its just not going to happen, i mean around the house, in the garden etc......keep small treats with you at all times and treat every time they recall !!!! and i mean EVERY TIME! after a day of being rewarded this way the dog will get it, the next day treat alternatively with food and ridiculous amounts of affection, do this for a couple of days and then ween them off the food gradually and they'll just do it for strokes and love, no dog will be able to resist!

Go back to basic's try the recall in the garden or a fenced in area where she cant run off ,and if she doesn't look like shes coming back run away from her till she comes to you .and only let her off the lead once the recall has been masterd or shes won