squirrel job

first off; to ratsnatcher,rolfe,fidgety and tomo :notworthy: you were right, Im too cheap, but yes, we learn by our mistake's, and the most important thing I think I have learnt from this, is that theres a million miles between being your own boss, and doing a few jobs on the side, me falling into the latter :icon_redface:

god know's why, I didnt follow up with the good advice that I recieved from tomo on prices, when the lady rung me, my mind went blank, and had I quoted what tomo suggested a while back, I still would have been cheaper, but not too cheap

come on stuby :clapper: own up how many more times you been back :tongue2:

we all learn by our mistakes, i got one now in my vilage :doh: half price wasp nest, wished i hadn't

anyhow, got a call from them around 5pm, the squirrel was back, I got there around 7pm with no squirrel insight, so suggested I remove the small section of soffit she had been chewing at

they agreed, my aim was to give her an entrance hole, and then along with the kania, place a few mk6's, anyway on opening it up, we have a nest :clapper: pulled it out of the soffit, along with 3 babies, theres a 4th, but the litter bugger was having none of me catching it, so have primed all the traps with peanut butter, and although its still young, Im hoping the smell of the peanut butter, along with the fact that they shut the mother out wenesday gone, which will make it hungary, will lure it into the traps, hoping that the mum will also come back tonight, and be there for me in the morning (fingers crossed)

so to sum it up, eating humble pie for you guys, but the good side of it, is that most of the neighbours have come over while I was there and chatted about those "peskie" squirrels, most have had them in the past, along with foxes,moles and wasps, and of course they all have my number now, and the house owners want to pay me more money, Im not going to talk numbers with them, just tell them to pay me "what they think its worth"

and the next time I answer the phone to a squirrel job, I'll know better

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Well done Stubby, never let your enthusiasm for a bit of trapping take over the work that can be entailed, weve all jumped in like this I'm sure, I know I have :icon_redface:

The golden rule in pest control regarding insects or rodents is never ever block the entrance IMO.....work from there and bosh your collect your dosh, :victory:

Sounds like the street has got you on the books :drink:

Edited by RatSnatcher

update;

had a call from them today around 3pm, they had heard a trap go off, on inspection they couldent see what was in it, I left it until 5pm then popped in, it was the mother squirrel :clapper: have left the other traps in situ, although I doubt the remaining baby will go in search of them, now the mothers gone, Im not so worried about sticking my hand into dark corners in the eaves, so have told them I'll return monday evening, and see what we can do

post-5267-1250448640_thumb.jpg

post-5267-1250448653_thumb.jpg

JOB COMPLETED; :notworthy:

had thought we had one remaining youngster in the loft, get a phone call this afternoon while doing a pidgeon proofing job, customer tells me there's two :blink: sticking their heads out the open soffit, I called around at 6pm and was told one had fallen out, and as it tried climbing back up the house wall, a neighbour had wacked it with a shover :D

so the last remaining one was having none of me getting it, so I removed all the mk6's and kania from attic, and re set a mk6 on the open area of soffit, where they had peered out, then back into the attic, to try and chase it, into the awaiting jaws,

well the lady called up, that he was sitting on top of the mk6 :yes: yes he was so light his weight hadent set it off, we stared for a few minutes, as he shuffled around, eventually the trap fired, but rather than killing him, it propelled him out of the hole like a cannonball, he fell to the garage roof dazed, then tried making a run back to safety, before I got up on the roof and finished him off,

they of course were overjoyed, probably let them off cheap, but told them to call it £40, which would bring the total to £90 which is what I should have charged for one squirrel,

but, every neighbour now has my card, and have seen I wont/dont give up until the job is finished, fingers crossed it will bring me more work in future, urban foxes seem to be a big trouble for them all....

:clapper: well the neighbours are not going to forget you stubby, what with catapulting squirrels and stuff :D

i have removed those babies with a feeret on a line in the past :yes: my mate outside with the rapid shooting them as they bolt and sit on the roof.

also the ferret cought a few in side ;)

sounds very humane to all the antis :clapper::clapper::clapper:

well, it was a member of the public, I reckon even the most fluffy bunny/squirrel hugger would turn into a reformed killer once they have had squirrels in their property, as I stated earlier, the homeowner was a very nice couple that wouldent hurt a fly, yet by the end was asking me to "blow it fecking brains out" with a shotgun,

:clapper: well the neighbours are not going to forget you stubby, what with catapulting squirrels and stuff :D

i have removed those babies with a feeret on a line in the past :yes: my mate outside with the rapid shooting them as they bolt and sit on the roof.

also the ferret cought a few in side ;)

I had mentioned ferreting them out, but this lady was so paranoid about "things in the roof" she then started worrying that we wouldent get the fert out

well this has really cheered me up,

just got in from work, and had an e mail waiting for me, from the above customer, telling me how grateful they both are with all my efforts over the last few days, they have given out my cards to all the other householders, then went on to ask for my postal address, as they did'nt have alot of cash in the house yesterday, so want to send me a thank you cheque...

update;

had a call from them today around 3pm, they had heard a trap go off, on inspection they couldent see what was in it, I left it until 5pm then popped in, it was the mother squirrel :clapper: have left the other traps in situ, although I doubt the remaining baby will go in search of them, now the mothers gone, Im not so worried about sticking my hand into dark corners in the eaves, so have told them I'll return monday evening, and see what we can do

post-5267-1250448640_thumb.jpg

cant see the tunnels around them fenns, even if they are in loft still got to have them.

cant see the tunnels around them fenns, even if they are in loft still got to have them.

I had used a large cardboard box with small entrances to cover all three fenns, as the attic area was unboarded, and there was evidence the squirrel had been through other stored items up there, maybe I should have taken a picture of that in situ just to keep you happy