squirrel job

I had a panicing lady ring me up couple of hours ago, they had a squirrel that was hell bent on getting into their loft, it had chewed its way through the soffit, but they had managed to chase it away and did a quick repair using a cheesegrater :clapper: to cover the hole, anyway he/she was back within a few minutes, chewing at another area a few inches away, I quoted her £45 to kania trap it, she agreed and I was there within an hour, kania fixed in place and an inspection of the loft, and was back home within 45 minutes, if it's as persistant as she say's, I reckon I'll be collecting it this afternoon, on chatting to her, she had phoned the council who told her the did'nt do pest control, but gave her the number of a company in the next town to me, they had advised her to re open the hole, allowing the squirrel access to the loft :hmm: and they would then place a live catch trap up there all for £150 :thumbdown:

another firm had quoted £70 to put sticky boards down :doh:

she was happy with my price, and gave me a £5 tip, asking if I could also do repairs to the soffit at a later date, although some may think I went in rather cheap, there are 12 houses in this cull de sac, all have had problems with squirrels, after giving her a stack of my cards, Im sure I'll be getting praised and recomended to the neighbours, rather than other pest controllers

asking where they had obtained my number, they got it from yell.com, a free one line ad I put in, just shows you/and me, you don't need to spend loads on advertising

I'll post pictures of its capture

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Guest traceyg

Well after killing my own wasp's nest i am thinking of giving up my day job :clapper: :clapper: :clapper: (joke) And be coming a pest controller . lol No well done mate you seem happy in your work and value for money as well ;)

So, thats £45 for every squirrel cought?? ....... you could end up charging more than the £150 company, or you could end up losing money. Without the full survey, it's difficult to tell.

no :hmm: I charged for my time, and leaving the kania in situ,and the return visit, to remove kania and squirrel, but how could I loose money :hmm: I have £50 in my pocket, and where's the "full" survey come from your on about

oh, and it's spelt caught

I tend to put a nice fenn or two in the soffit/facia, always gets my critter :D

as stated, they have stopped its access at the moment, so that would'ent have worked

although I have mk4/mk6's I prefer the kania's, even inside the loft space, so many people use their loft space for storage, a kania with a wire mesh tunnel is alot harder for a customer to "slip" and put a hand into, than a mk4 fenn

Nice going Stubby, as you say how can you be out of pocket? A job is a job and if the cowboys want to price themselves out of it then there is all the more for the rest.

How do you attach the kania? Is it direct to the gable wall or to the soffit? Or if inside do you have it laid down or on a joist?

I have only used one once on a tree, they are shall we say 'Quite effective!'

H

well an update;

customer phoned to say the squirrel was now taking a different route to get to the soffit, and had nearly chewed through again, I therefore removed the kania, which is attached to a piece of 6x1 and a mesh tube running from the bottom, and re placed it inside the loft space, close to where the hole is, this one Ive layed on the insulation, but normally fix to a beam, I'll be checking it friday,

your last post was what i was going to write first, you can bet this squirrel wants IN chances are theres a drey. with more babies/young :yes:

i think you were too cheap mate. :yes: also think the company that said let it in had the right idea , :yes: they probly relised there was a reson for it wanting IN

you can bet you will visit this house 3-4 maybe 5 times. especialy with just 1 trap in position

Squirrel jobs are notorious for repeat visits Stubby...........I tend to use cages both in the garden on the access route to the roof and in the loft itself. So.........price for more than a couple of visits........just to cover your arse mate. ;)

Rolfe.

"Cought" ....... 'yer right, I looked at it, knew sommat was wrong, just couldn't see it.

I think the reply below says what I think ............ don't be too hasty to dismiss the boys coming in at £150.00!!

"i think you were too cheap mate. also think the company that said let it in had the right idea , they probly relised there was a reson for it wanting IN

you can bet you will visit this house 3-4 maybe 5 times. especialy with just 1 trap in position"