Working Irish Terriers

Guest Countryboyo

Guest Countryboyo

Just intersted to know if any of you have come across working Irish terriers. I have recently come across one and that was in the royal county of Meath.It was more thick set than the slender kc dogs with a rougher less exagerated beard and wider head . the dog looked like it had seen plenty. Has the breed just turned into KC couch dogs like so many more? Or is their any few working strains left at all? You would hear of the odd bit of IT blood in lurchers but even this is very rare.

Cheers CB

Guest Countryboyo
CB, saw some a few weeks back at a hound/hunt show in europe. Used exclusively on wild boar.

P1000768-1.jpg

Cheers for that GD Was never seen a strain quiet like that. cracking looking dogs they are. great to see people still keeping the working strain going.

To those that know, what was the traditional role of the Irish terrier???

Strong dog,like a wheaten or glenn.

Had one a few years ago,18tts with tight hair he ran on ahead of me into a burrow {that he shouldnt of been in}

and dug himself in and was dead when we got to him.

There a big lump for a terrier.

wonder if they would go better over the whippet than the bedlington :blink:

It would be a good cross,it would be perfect for a whippet,now that you say it.

I didnt know what i had until it died Would i be wright in saying that,

that is where the lakeland origanated from?

...Would i be wright in saying that, that is where the lakeland origanated from?

I'm pretty concerned they are closely related. At the beginning Irish terriers were coming in more colours, but at the KC they decided that it mush be red with a very little white patch allowed at the chest.

ATB,

Anna

wonder if they would go better over the whippet than the bedlington :blink:

It would be a good cross,it would be perfect for a whippet,now that you say it.

I didnt know what i had until it died Would i be wright in saying that,

that is where the lakeland origanated from?

i wonder if any one on here knows any one who breeds that cross

There another terrier that have gone like many others to the kc , with few exceptions bein the odd one or two around. Iv never worked one only ever seen a dog that SUPPOSEDLY had it in him but hed prefer to fight all day long with dogs then go near quarry. I know lads that used work them years ago said they used start hard and stay hard and from a young age bein very gamey dogs. There gone the same way as the sealyham .