Trip to Callender

Just got back from a trip to my mates ground in Callender combining the roe rut with a chance of a red stag . :D

callender014.jpg

Tuesday evening I had a 4 pointer off sticks at 133 metres .

callender003.jpg

Wednesday morning I had a 6 pointer , neck shot at 140 metres off the bipod . He was thrashing a ragwort stem.

callender009.jpg

Never had the chance of a red stag as only saw hinds but hopefully I will get a stag when I return in the rut :D

Nice weather and beautiful surroundings :D

callender016.jpg

Highlight of the trip was I saw a pine marten at a distance of only 15 metres which stood up on a log looking at us for about 10 secs ....... :o

Foxy whats the facination of shooting Red`s in the rutting season?? Not having a pop like just intrested in opinions??

This ground has a resident population of hinds and is primarily forest with a little open hill.

During the rut these hinds attract more stags onto the ground therefore increasing your chances to connect.

Also the roar of the stags is what fascinates a lot of stalkers to try in the rut along with watching battling stags.

Guest Fireball

With respect Foxy those stags that will be sniffing about after a bit of fanny wont exactly have self preservation in mind.

I could of shot quite a few Bronzes, Silver`s and Golds over the last several years during the rut but to be honest they take no hunting up what so ever and not exactly a real test in my opinion.

An easy way to gain a medal or to thin out what you don't need that's if your game dealer will take them.

Either the Roar of the Red of the Below of the Fallow has never really fascinated me but then again i was never the one to be easily impressed,lol.

Good luck in the rut Foxy ;)

Good pics by the way....

Nice Mark good area plenty deer. Did you try the call for roe?? how was the rut going there as its been very strange up here its like it is over yet i only seen first sign of it last satuday & its all been young bucks rutting. iv tryed the buttalo to no avail must be loosing my touch. :icon_redface: