Feed twice a day. As a rough guide, divide his food into quarters weight wise: quarter minced beef or horse, quarter rabbit or chicken: (whole carcase preferably not minced), quarter breast of lamb, as it is, and a quarter minced veg and fruit with a handful of oats or muesil type food thrown in if he gets constipated. Oily fish once or twice a week, couple of eggs twice a week, whole natural yogurt, large pot over two days. SA 37, only a teaspoon a day despite what they say on the packet.

The above is what I feed my dogs and they thrive on it and half of them are on slimming diets (IE not much food at all poor things) at this time of year LOL!

Your leftovers all mixed in with the minced meat: the odd brown bread crust or piece of toast, but don't be tempted to bulk the food out with pasta, bread or biscuits in place of the meat: meat should be the most important ingredient, but as already said: plenty of variety.

<br />I think that i want it to happen too quick aswell because when im walking him I have people coming on to me saying "that dog is thin" or "that dog could do with a bowl of food" and its because hes a really racey type and its noticeable and most of the people havent got a clue what they are talking about.<br />
<br /><br /><br />

do you have a pic of the dog?

Edited by welshgirl09

buy SA37 powder multivit and mineral powder from the petshop and lots of mince beef and chicken, i know the sa37 won't put weight on a dog but if the dogs been neglected he'll be difficient in essential things like calcium etc. hope the dog comes good for you

pups tend to grow one way at a time, out or up i think if you feed him a good quality diet(plenty of animal protien) he will come right in the end. as for other people commenting stuff them, the dogs alot better off know than it was.

go to pet store and get somthing called stress its helps to build bone and give it a tea spoon a day on its food speciley if its had a bad start in life youl see the difrents in a couple of weeks and do it for 3 months

pups tend to grow one way at a time, out or up i think if you feed him a good quality diet(plenty of animal protien) he will come right in the end. as for other people commenting stuff them, the dogs alot better off know than it was.

oh yes definately he was a lot worse than this when i had him

I have brought a few dogs into condition

As a general rule i would allow a minimum of 6 weeks recovery - if a dog is really underweight i feed a little every couple of hours at the beginning.

It takes longer to bring them back than it does to take them down -with good care and attention i am sure so long as he is a healthy dog he shall recover completely.

I have just brought 2 dogs back into condition on a completely raw diet( lamb breast,lambs throats,green tripe,rabbit,chicken)- in 6 weeks they did a dramatic turnaround with some love and proper but steady excercise.

At 7 months and out of condition i would feed 3 meals per day and as said ensure they are high quality and well done for putting the effort into him- it is so rewarding

I have brought a few dogs into condition

As a general rule i would allow a minimum of 6 weeks recovery - if a dog is really underweight i feed a little every couple of hours at the beginning.

It takes longer to bring them back than it does to take them down -with good care and attention i am sure so long as he is a healthy dog he shall recover completely.

I have just brought 2 dogs back into condition on a completely raw diet( lamb breast,lambs throats,green tripe,rabbit,chicken)- in 6 weeks they did a dramatic turnaround with some love and proper but steady excercise.

At 7 months and out of condition i would feed 3 meals per day and as said ensure they are high quality and well done for putting the effort into him- it is so rewarding

we had a lurcher like that years ago i took him vets and he told me to feed boiled potatoes and tinned chappie 3 times a day and it worked wouldnt say its a long term diet but to get him up to weight it really did work