are salukixgrays thick

as soon as i got home with my new pup salukixgray i took her in my local pub to show her off but was hit with critasism ,people saying saluki grays a thick as fu*k ect but 3years down the line and my dog is 1twice as good as theres even brainiear as long as i treat her right and be pataint she is the most obedient dog iv come across but if i start shouting at her or give her a clip thats it shes a nightmare hasve any of you lads noticed this and do yas think saluki crosses are brain dead

cheers lads

allrounder :good:

Salukis are timid dogs sometimes allrounder, they don't really take to being hit or screamed at, if I even shout at mine he sulks...there not the brightest of breeds but then again if you get a saluki your not getting it for brains are you..

Guest oldskool

seen a few saluki/crosses run hares, they definately look intelligent [bANNED TEXT] they are on the run. i havent seen many that could take fox though?? although i have only seen a few

Edited by oldskool
Guest Ditch_Shitter

As was said above; You don't get a Saluki for brains. Same can be said of a Greyhound. That's why people use Collie crosses ~ to put something into the skull and thus lower the nose toward the ground.

But in my own experiance of both these dogs seperatley, I found the grey tends to be simply thick and lacking in stamina. The pure Saluki, I found irritating because she had a mind, wether it might be called a brain or not is another matter. Very much her own mind though. If she wanted to go? Hare was in deep sh*t. If she didn't? Slip her. Gaze after the hare for a few seconds. Then look down at your f***ing feet! There she'd be! " Not today. I have a headache. "

Perhaps we could refer to Saluki's as the Blondes of the canine race? They have their moments.

Guest jeff.s

A FRIEND OF MINE HAS A 1/2 GREYHOUNDX1/2 SALUKI AND HIS IS FAR FROM THICK, IT DOSE FOX AND DEER BEFORE THE BAN, IT COMES BACK WHEN TOLD AND DOSENT RUN ABOUT THE FIELD WITH WHAT ITS COURSED, MY WIFE USED TO OWN A PURE SALUKI YEARS BACK AND PEOPLE UESD TO ASK HER HOW SHE MANAGED TO GET THE DOG TO COME BACK TO HER, AS IT WOULD SIT STAY AND DO AS IT WAS TOLD. THERES A LASS WHO GO,S TO THE SHOWS HAS A WHITE PURE SALUKI THAT IS DEAF AND ITS LEARNT TO READ HAND SIGNALS, SO I DONT THINK THEY ARE ALL DAFT, I,M SURE THERE WILL BE PEOPLE ON THIS SITE WHO RUN THEM WILL TELL YOU THAT ITS A BIT OF TIME AND EFFORT WHEN PUPS WILL GET THE BEST OUT OF THE DOGS, jeff

Saluki crosses are far from thick, they can be a little pig headed and can deaf out now and again, but they definitly aren't thick.

It was a common thing for the 'old' school lurcher men to say, "what you want a saluki cross for ?? They're brain dead", but as you have already pointed out, they dont respond to heavy handed training, and people dont think about this. You be heavy handed with a saluki cross and you can forget about getting a decent level of obedience from one. Patience is the only way, i know it's hard when they might be blanking you, but persivere and things will pay of in the long run. :good::good:

All the best Tommy ;);)

Guest Top Chalker
saluki shite ,,, stick to the well know breeds :):):)

:11: :11: thats right every one should get one of the well known breeds ,,the saluki x is thick :whistle:

Rob really knows what he is talking about :blink: :11: what do u run Robert ????

not seen a clever 1 yet,,, wont retrive wont hunt wont mark,,, thick as pig shite

you havent seen many then......got a bitch than can kill them long eared bunny's for the fun it :D bring's them back and drop's them at your feet, if the long eared rabbit go's for cover boxes it straight away,she can go through a hedge like a machine and push them back out.....HUNT JUMP KILL AND CARRY :good:

Edited by sniffer

because some people dont have the brain to train a dog for a job dont mean the dog has not got the brain for the job. ive got a saluki cross at the minute 13 month old not the best of jumpers but soon as the lights out she is at your side everything she catches is live to hand brilliant on a hedge had a bite on everything and got involved marks hedges [bANNED TEXT] out with terriers an this bitch is 13 month alot of time to improve.and a dream to train

Cant speek for all saluki crosses but i can go anywere with mine without the use of a lead,i only call him once and he,s there.

Before the ban he caught a good number of hares small or big land,he will jump most obstacles has a good turn of speed good stamina,touch wood he,s had plenty of work and never been lame.I never tryed him on fox and to be honest i dont think he,d want to no but his sister did fox.

If the rabbits are there he will do a good number although he,s caught hundreds of rabbits 80% have been on the lamp.

He is bye no means and far from being a champion but i,ve had a lot of enjoyable sport with him and the dog alway,s gives 100% so that does me,He is defo not thick,his sister,s the same as was his dam.

I dont think saluki crosses are everyones cup of tea and one day i,de like to try something different and give a diff cross a try but i,me happy with my saluki cross and i beleive its how you rear them,treat them and understand the breed. :good: