I'd like some advice please

Hi Ive just joined and not long been a hunting enthusiast.

I have fairly recently split with my partner who introduced me to hunting. Thankfully I got rid of him but kept the animals and have some good friends who allow me to hunt with them- all be it a bit of a novelty thing Im sure.

I have a very nearly 3 year old deerhound/greyhound, excellent night worker but he's torn a ligament. Im doing everything the vet has told me to do- no exercise then a little built up gradually every day and he's a willing swimmer so swims a small amount every day.

Is there anything anyone can suggest that would aid his recovery- we lost a dog mid-chase 18 months ago and Im quite nervous of working them now but know how important it is to them so don't want to stop. I also have a nearly 2 year old bitch that I'd like to start properly this season (she's taken a few baby bunnies and accidentally an adult myxi this summer but nothing more).

I know some of you will be horrified by the prospect of a newcomer girl being left in charge of these creatures but believe you me they have never been in better condition and I want what is best for them.

Thanks. Jem

Welcome! :) There are quite a few ladies who hunt on here, so your not alone ;)

Thanks! Im a bit fluffy when it comes to my dogs, suppose it doesn't go down well with the 'hardcore' huntsmen in my area and Im not 'in the crowd' sufficient to have made female companions. Suppose Ive broken the Ice by doing this though.

Hi Jem,and welcome to the site,it is for allsorts not just ugle hairy arsed blokes so don't worry about that.The only thing I can suggest is to try and get hold of or borrow from someone a 'Magbox' it basically is a dog cage that has a magnetic field all around it,and,they do aid recovery from that sort of injury,it might be worth asking on here if there is one about to borrow for a while,good luck with the injury.............Martin. ;)

Hi Jem,and welcome to the site,it is for allsorts not just ugle hairy arsed blokes so don't worry about that.The only thing I can suggest is to try and get hold of or borrow from someone a 'Magbox' it basically is a dog cage that has a magnetic field all around it,and,they do aid recovery from that sort of injury,it might be worth asking on here if there is one about to borrow for a while,good luck with the injury.............Martin. ;)

Thank you, and Hi! Will certainly ask about......would magnetic wrist band type thingys have the same effect? A friend uses them on cattle......sorry to be such a simpleton but I really am new to this!

Hi, Blooise, There is a common herb called Comfrey [knitbone] it greatly helps mend tissue , get some C. oil and rub it in and or C. tea in feed.here's some info..

One of the country names for comfrey was ‘knitbone’, a reminder of its traditional use in healing. Modern science confirms that comfrey can influence the course of bone ailments.

The herb contains allantoin, a cell proliferant that speeds up the natural replacement of body cells. Comfrey was used to treat a wide variety of ailments ranging from bronchial problems, broken bones, sprains, arthritis, gastric and varicose ulcers, severe burns, acne and other skin conditions. It was reputed to have bone and teeth building properties in children, and have value in treating many disorders. Constituents of comfrey also include mucilage, steroidal saponins, tannins, pyrrolizidine alkaloids, inulin, vitamin B12 and proteins.

http://www.herbalremediesinfo.com/comfrey-...cinal-uses.html

www.lakelandherbs.co.uk

http://www.biodynamicorganictinctures.co.uk/

used externally it is an exelent healer , mixed with Hypericum it will ease any associated pain

it is perfectly safe for short term use internally , potential toxicity will only occur if you use massive amounts long term

good luck ...N.B.

Edited by North Briton

Hello and welcome. Our old Deerhoundx suffered ligament problems a few times throughout his life, being a big clumsy hound, we always found that a short period of rest then gentle excercise, gradually building up over the course of a few weeks worked wonders for him.