Grumpy land owners.

if you been reading my posts you will know I found a great field for rabbiting, (no live stock in the field or near by) but could not find who owned it. So been trying to track them down . yesterday I found the owner and asked very politely, is it OK to use your field for rabbiting with my dog, ? Before I finished asking,the lady replied†NO SERTANLY NOT. Oh sorry I said I was only asking I don't use a gun just the one dog. No I will NOT have dogs on my land, she said. (good thing she not own to much land ) It really annoyed me that she was so rude, She could have been polite about it. Reminded me of a lady I asked at my old address who told me she owned all the land and I was not even aloud to walk on it, later I found out that was a lie, and the land was owned by a pottery who rented her two fields, the rest of the land was open for walkers. Pays to do you research, The point being though, that if we take the time to track down a land owner to ask permission and they treat us like that, then people are more likely to poach, aspeshaly if its younger hunters who find it hard to approach the land owner. Puts you off asking. Why are some land owners so rude, theres no need for it.

if you been reading my posts you will know I found a great field for rabbiting, (no live stock in the field or near by) but could not find who owned it. So been trying to track them down . yesterday I found the owner and asked very politely, is it OK to use your field for rabbiting with my dog, ? Before I finished asking,the lady replied†NO SERTANLY NOT. Oh sorry I said I was only asking I don't use a gun just the one dog. No I will NOT have dogs on my land, she said. (good thing she not own to much land ) It really annoyed me that she was so rude, She could have been polite about it. Reminded me of a lady I asked at my old address who told me she owned all the land and I was not even aloud to walk on it, later I found out that was a lie, and the land was owned by a pottery who rented her two fields, the rest of the land was open for walkers. Pays to do you research, The point being though, that if we take the time to track down a land owner to ask permission and they treat us like that, then people are more likely to poach, aspeshaly if its younger hunters who find it hard to approach the land owner. Puts you off asking. Why are some land owners so rude, theres no need for it.

Sadly you will come across many people who are less than well mannered when you are seeking permission

all the best

fin and fur

To be honest mate, you should have said[ anything] than dog [lurcher]. Ive had lurchers 25 years, and its as hard now as it was way back then, to get a lurcher on the ground :o . Most hunters who get on with a dog first, are and have been lucky. With most farmers+keepers, they have to trust you 1st.And most hate feckin lurchers :( , so if i was you get a gun or ferret's, and try then. Once you get on , and they trust you , try to bring the dog on later. ;);)

You would think the land owners, would be glad of other people keeping the rabbit population down!!! :blink:

Under the Pest Act of 1954 all landowners have a legal duty to control rabbit numbers on their land. Grass the old bitch up to the fuzz!

Ric

it works both ways....remember.

i have experience of this from the other side when i was farming.

i you knew how many phone calls and visits i got per week with people asking for permission you would understand.

i was never rude and explained i carried out my own pest control.........but some lads ( especially the ones with dogs) couldn't take no for an answer and some became very abusive.

most farmers are grateful for pest control services , but most prefer the use of guns and traps.

also remember they dont know your dog/s like you do and will probably be unsure of how they will react to stock or even him/herself.

still, there is NEVER any need to be rude, unless you have been forced to be !!!!!!

all the best

sean

well lads i am one of those grumpy b*****d land owners i wont let anyone on my ground , its invite only with me if i catch anyone on there up to no good then there very quickly evicted last year i saw some lads in a red hilux with lurchers and when i shouted at them they shot at me but lets just say they wont be back nor there 2 dead dogs, now dont get me wrong ive poached enough land in my time but ive always had a bit of respect for the land i am on and if that was me being shouted at i would have gone over and blagged it and with a bit of luck would have gained permisssion to do it all legal like , grumpy

well lads i am one of those grumpy b*****d land owners i wont let anyone on my ground , its invite only with me if i catch anyone on there up to no good then there very quickly evicted last year i saw some lads in a red hilux with lurchers and when i shouted at them they shot at me but lets just say they wont be back nor there 2 dead dogs, now dont get me wrong ive poached enough land in my time but ive always had a bit of respect for the land i am on and if that was me being shouted at i would have gone over and blagged it and with a bit of luck would have gained permisssion to do it all legal like , grumpy

i can understand land owners +keepers, if they get pricks coming on heavy with guns or what ever. But not all lurcher owners are the same,? and i have gone some times where i should'nt. And i have been pulled up, i dont give them Agro, i just keep mouth shut and walk off. I am not a kid, lets say i wont see 50 again ;) now if any body shot my dog, that person would never be [Able] to hold a gun in his Damaged hands again [ not Bravado] Fact. :yes: because i dont want Agro with them, i know who would come of worse :yes:

I always keep my dog on a harness and long line, only releasing her at the moment we are close enough to have a good chance of getting a rabbit, and as soon as the chase is over maybe less than a minute, she's back on lead. There are a lot of dog walkers that cross are path with dogs off lead running lose, they chases the rabbits too, only difference is\my dog is under control and there's are not. . I would never let my dog lose near live stock but again I have seen Jo-public do it many times.

I think most hunters have more respect for land than the farmers give then credit for

You would think the land owners, would be glad of other people keeping the rabbit population down!!! :blink:

Under the Pest Act of 1954 all landowners have a legal duty to control rabbit numbers on their land. Grass the old bitch up to the fuzz!

Ric

you need to check the law out mate, that was revoked last year....

as for her not letting you run your dog there :hmm: why the hell should she, its her land, maybe your not the first person to have asked that question, and others have had the same reply, and then gone there anyway, may be a good reason why permission was refussed,

Ric

you need to check the law out mate, that was revoked last year....

as for her not letting you run your dog there :hmm: why the hell should she, its her land, maybe your not the first person to have asked that question, and others have had the same reply, and then gone there anyway, may be a good reason why permission was refussed,

I think you'll find the Pest Act still applies. But you are a professional here so I won't argue. I just get peed off with people who l-u-u-rv ickle bunny-wunnies and don't realise just what damage they can do. Take your point about it's her land though. Hang loose bro!

Ric