what makes a good lurcher?

Dogs are like kids the most valuable thing you can give em is your time no dog ever became a worldbeater overnight it takes patience. More dogs have ruined by pushing em too early and then giving them away as useless sad but true .

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

hi i hear everyone saying they have it only to hear it didnt make the

grade so they get rid! why do these ppl think the dogs the one that cant be trained

ile let you decide :angry:

This is exactly how it is from my point of view. A good owner makes a good dog wether it kills the fox or not ;)

propper rubbisht

shut up and stop ruining treads ya clown!

thats all your good for!

your rubbisht to you missed the h out of thread ile tell you what makes a good lurcher something with a bit of ridgeback in it or a wheeeeaton and hoooond

o ya want to get smart?

... no T on the end of rubbish il has no E on the end wheaton with one E and hound with one O or do you have jittttttttters?

if you think that its rubbish keep it to yourself no one cares!

oooooooohhhhhhhhmmm dik dik dik dorty dorty dorty ooooooohhhhhhhhmmm rubbisht :yahoo:

will somebody please put their children to bed........

imo every lurcher bred for [pre ban ] quarry has got gameness in it its you the owner who has to know how to get it out, its easy to say oh its not game when you fecked it up yourself buy entering to early, the same as a dog that yaps its not born a yapper its made one by the owner again by normaly entering to young , so my opinion is its the owner that makes a good dog but good breeding is a big part as well, thats just my opinion

Edited by nighteyes

grade so they get rid! why do these ppl think the dogs the one that cant be trained

you get out of a dog [bANNED TEXT] u put into it mate,u need to be strict wi them give them loads of attention,and spend loads of time wi them.then they'll run there nackers off for u. :big_boss:

Dogs are like kids the most valuable thing you can give em is your time no dog ever became a worldbeater overnight it takes patience. More dogs have ruined by pushing em too early and then giving them away as useless sad but true .

got to agree wi u 100% :thumbs:mate

So just to be clear, are we talking about dog training or a dog that can catch quarry on a regular basis and has that certain something to make bonus catches when some dogs maybe would not?

You can train any mutt to do tricks (it may take time depending on the mutt), but you cant train any mutt to have the right mind to be up there with the very best catch dogs.........dogs that will kill quarry consistantly on all types of ground.

And by the way, I dont know what makes a good dog, I know what makes ME happy, or rather I know what DONT!!........but if I knew the secret something that makes an outstanding dog I would be a very happy man......and if I was that way inclined, a rich man too.

Edited by WILF

first the dog has to have natural ability, speed, brain, and to have natural courage, for his job, your training, of the dog simple but basic, commands,

sit, stay, recall, and stand, with a sssstand, he is ready for what ever,, next is very important, the person or persons who are looking after that particular, dog is a slave to the situation, 365 days, of the year, feeding, preparing the food, cooking and feeding, exercise, every day, regardless of the weather, if kenneled, clean his kennel daily, and wash the hard standing area, and keep his drinking bowl clean + his food bowl, next health checks,,

worming on a regular basis, fleas, and ticks, (((( front line or benzyl benzoate, in 50/50 water to solution stinks but keeps him clean and free from outside parasites, and check there toe nails, (((( if they are doing plenty of road work no problem, but sometimes you have to trim them,, and also give him a good rub down, it is like a good massage,, ,,, and after all that you are entitled to a decent dog for filling the pot, after all the Lurcher is the POOR MANS HUNTING DOG, ((((( FOR FILLING THE POT, BUT SOME PEOPLE ON HERE THINK THEY INVENTED THIS TYPE OF DOG, SINCE THE INVENTION OF THE HOME COMPUTER,

Every ones opinion will be different if it was all the same what a boring world we would live in! my dogs earn there keep come winter not from what we catch just from the pleasure i get from being out!! keep it up lads atb

• 5 weeks later...

well said mate, it really winds me up the fact that people treat they dogs like a rusty old car

i think how we would like our dogs to be and what they are, are different things

obedience comes with training, loyalty comes with respect, and to gain respect requires a tender hand

a good kind owner makes a good dog what ever the breed

all the very best lurcher lass

i dont think its very true that a kind owner makes a good dog.

i have had and seen many dogs being fed and treated to the highest

standard only to turn out a medeoker running dog.

only taking a rabbit on a ditch or turning a fox inside out

but not making the strike.

personally i think it is down to each individual dog and their personality

and how determand they are and by this i think you can have a good idea

as pups how they will turn out. :big_boss:

well said mate, it really winds me up the fact that people treat they dogs like a rusty old car

i think how we would like our dogs to be and what they are, are different things

obedience comes with training, loyalty comes with respect, and to gain respect requires a tender hand

SOUNDS LIKE YOUVE BEEN THROUGH A FEW DOGS PAL, AND I TOTALLY DISAGREE WITH WHAT YOUR SAYING. I FOUND A PASSER ON :thumbdown:

SOUNDS LIKE YOUVE BEEN THROUGH A FEW DOGS PAL, AND I TOTALLY DISAGREE WITH WHAT YOUR SAYING. I FOUND A PASSER ON :thumbdown:

so are you saying that a pup that is very determand will not

show how strong willed it is in its work.

WHAT IT WANTS IT IT DETERMAND TO GET

its just something i have noticed in some of my pups now working :clapper: