Jill Jabs

Hi Saluki Knight,

Your vet must have misunderstood you, you don't want her spayed just jabed!!! I would ring round all your local vets for the best price. My vet charges £12.50 per ferret, but done me a deal of £5 per ferret for 8 jills on one consultation.

Must admit i look after my animals to the point of huge vet bills, but i have never got my jills jabbed or taken out of season, never once resulting in any harm coming to them.

The best get bred when required, the rest go through the swelled stage no problem.

Is some kind of hysteria bieng drummed up about taking them out of season?

Keep them clean, and in good shape, and from my perspective, you don't need all the hype. :angry:

Anyone thats happy with what they do, then keep doing it, but i'm sure half of the shoite is just a crock of shoite. :angry:

Must admit i look after my animals to the point of huge vet bills, but i have never got my jills jabbed or taken out of season, never once resulting in any harm coming to them.

The best get bred when required, the rest go through the swelled stage no problem.

Keep them clean, and in good shape, and from my perspective, you don't need all the hype. :angry:

Anyone thats happy with what they do, then keep doing it, but i'm sure half of the shoite is just a crock of shoite. :angry:

Spot on. :clapper::clapper: I have never had any trouble, the only problem I have noticed is that they will not moult till they come out of season.

TC

Spot on. :clapper::clapper: I have never had any trouble, the only problem I have noticed is that they will not moult till they come out of season.

TC

The moulting stage is a thing that the jills go through after birth, it comes from the kits drawing on all the jills resource, leaving them a little gaunt, hence the moult, even the phantoms end up this way. (at least the phantoms are out of season!).

The rest of my tribe are in the moult now, getting there winter coats ready for the northern season! (Hobs).

Bring it on, 10 weeks and counting! ;)

Totally agree, I have two jills just turned five years old, never seen a hob snipped or entire and both in good health, had jills live to double figures and have one maybe two litters. I don't

know where this get them out of season or they'll die comes from. Certainly caught on in here though the local experts trip it out at every opportunity.

I think that when you are new to ferret keeping this is the thing you hear you must do or like you say your ferret will die. But saying that both of the vets I spoke to also said that it was not good for the health of the ferret to stay in season.

Then of course when the newbie speaks to other people and the subject comes up again this 'very important' piece of info is bought up. I think it is like a game of chinese whispers :blink: .

I will admit that this is the first place that I have heard that it does not need to be done.

Thanks every one for the input, I havent had the ferrets a year yet, and i dont know how old they are as they was passed on to me with all the gear from a bloke that was giving up. I lost one of the jills last week, it was curld up in the nest dead, and the fact that i heard the "if i dont breed her she'll die" thing, it crossed my mined that it could be the reason, hence my keeness to get the other done.

I agree with what your saying about the jills must be mated are they die, i honestly think from what ive seen when jills come into season, its total mayhem! It must take alot out of a jill ferret when they are in season. Not sure if i will service my jills next year and see what happens, if you guys are saying yours have never seen a full or snipped ferret hob.

Worth a try eh...

FM