spoke to a few farmers

went down the yellow pages tonight ringing some farms, no luck at all i only managed to ring 8 though (got a 7 month on baby so as you can guess when i get home it "my turn" lol) the farmers were all really nice but kept saying the same thing "sorry ive got enough people" going to try again tomorro though, surely one must say yes, hopefully. :wallbash:

went down the yellow pages tonight ringing some farms, no luck at all i only managed to ring 8 though (got a 7 month on baby so as you can guess when i get home it "my turn" lol) the farmers were all really nice but kept saying the same thing "sorry ive got enough people" going to try again tomorro though, surely one must say yes, hopefully. :wallbash:

you have got to rock up there and see them face to face mate, its the best way, anyone can say no on the phone, but if your an approachable guy then you shouldn't have to many probs. i find that people who own livery / stable yards are a good option ( I picked up 2 of them in the past 2 weeks), as they all want the rabbits shot as the little blighters hammer the grazing for the horses. :gunsmilie: and they are generally fox hunting / country people if you know what i mean.

just go and knock on the front door what time of day do you find best

I cannot see anyone giving permission on the phone, you could be anyone, as stated, knock and ask face to face, dont be dressed in cammo, have your insurance/public liability with you, show your not some fly by night, I'd go around tea time, more chance of them being in, what are you wanting to shoot?, shotgun or rimfire, have often found its easier to get permission to shoot pidgeons first, then once your in there, easier to gain rabbit permission

Do a bit of research before you knock at the door.

Has the farm got what you are after - rabbits, pigeons etc. Try and walk a footpath so you can judge whether it is worth approaching the farmer in the first instance. Dont trespass

It is purely luck of the draw mate I tried tons of farms before I got anywhere and my mate got the first one he went to! Try getting a reason to speak to the farmer, ie you saw a load of crows (sheep farmers hate crows) and you would be happy to shoot them. Although a bit late right now a good time to speak to farmers is just when they have seeded the fields and they don't want the pigeons hammering them. Be patient it will all come good in the end! Last year at this time I only had permission for two 40 acre fields, now I have permission for 3 farms totalling over 2000 acres (one of which my mate picked up for us when a guy pulled up by the side of the field whilst he was ferreting and asked if we would help rid the rabbits on his 1000 acre chicken farm!).

Good luck

It is purely luck of the draw mate I tried tons of farms before I got anywhere and my mate got the first one he went to! Try getting a reason to speak to the farmer, ie you saw a load of crows (sheep farmers hate crows) and you would be happy to shoot them. Although a bit late right now a good time to speak to farmers is just when they have seeded the fields and they don't want the pigeons hammering them. Be patient it will all come good in the end! Last year at this time I only had permission for two 40 acre fields, now I have permission for 3 farms totalling over 2000 acres (one of which my mate picked up for us when a guy pulled up by the side of the field whilst he was ferreting and asked if we would help rid the rabbits on his 1000 acre chicken farm!).

Good luck

You lucky bugger :yes:

If you can spot a bit of damage in a field the farmer owns it's good to let him know about it and the fact that you can do something about it. What ever you do, don't go round at lunch time or 5 o'clock, as farmers don't get much time to themselves and meal times are sacred.

If it's a smaller farm then through the day would be the best bet to kind of meet them as they are going about their work. A bigger farm will have an office so a quick pop in through the day would probably be in order.

To be honest though mate this is a dodgy time of year to try and get permission as harvest will be starting down south shortly,if not already, and farmers will be 'over the head' at the minute. Also farmers only worry about vermin when they are damaging crops and unless they have laid crops they don't actual think about it till the next crops are sown and getting hammered. It's just that they don't have the time to worry about it all the time.

When you do get a permission, i would suggest going there excessively for the first month or so, that will put forward a really good impression and permissions will come flying your way with word of mouth, which lets face it, is the best advertisment you can get.

DunK