fishing weed

hi everyone fishing a gravel pit at the minute which ive fished for a few years now but not had a lot of success ,its around 4 aches and depths vary and theres round 60 -70 carp in ther people dont have a great deal of luck cause everyone does the norm including me hitting gravel bars ,islands,and far margins also close ones but my question is there a loads of carp which are boshing over thick weed and splashing like mad,but apart from zigs is there any way i can fish the weed, bags are an option but its a good chuck at around 90 yards ? :search: :search:

try a floating feeder get a caged feeder and take the lead off and glue foam to it. works a treat our ware i fish if you fish the bottom you snag for a past time.

what size carp are you takling about mate, like the idea but the presention has got to good as these carp are very wary

try a floating feeder get a caged feeder and take the lead off and glue foam to it. works a treat our ware i fish if you fish the bottom you snag for a past time.

what size carp are you takling about mate, like the idea but the presention has got to good as these carp are very wary

dog biscuits and a good controler float and plenty of patience

how you going to fish either of these methods effectively at 90 yards? :hmm:

i have had carp up in to the 30s using it i use a hook lenth as long as i think i can get away with say the lake is 8 foot and the weed are up 5 foot in the water ill use a 3ft hook lenth i usuly load the feeder with hemp dog biscuts crushed sencus tootie frootie ground bait flavering then add a hand full of bred particuls that i pushed threw a maggit riddle or some 1/4 inch welded mesh. i found out about the floating feeder from a articul in IPYCF a few years back ;)

i have had carp up in to the 30s using it i use a hook lenth as long as i think i can get away with say the lake is 8 foot and the weed are up 5 foot in the water ill use a 3ft hook lenth i usuly load the feeder with hemp dog biscuts crushed sencus tootie frootie ground bait flavering then add a hand full of bred particuls that i pushed threw a maggit riddle or some 1/4 inch welded mesh. i found out about the floating feeder from a articul in IPYCF a few years back ;)

i understand the way of the floating meathod but i think that casting 90 yards i would like to fish in the weed, and why put dog biscuits in a feeder they will all float up ,what iam looking for is diffent types of rig tried leadcore chods but maybe someone can help with braid or mono sliding chod

hi everyone fishing a gravel pit at the minute which ive fished for a few years now but not had a lot of success ,its around 4 aches and depths vary and theres round 60 -70 carp in ther people dont have a great deal of luck cause everyone does the norm including me hitting gravel bars ,islands,and far margins also close ones but my question is there a loads of carp which are boshing over thick weed and splashing like mad,but apart from zigs is there any way i can fish the weed, bags are an option but its a good chuck at around 90 yards ? :search: :search:

This is a very frustrating situation i come across it myself on a local 18 acre park lake that i fish, The thing is with weed carp love it, its full of natural food bloodworm and crawlers so they naturaly visit these areas for food on a regular basis. Also weed retains heat, so at night when the surrounding water tempreture is dropping at night, fish are therefore drawn to these warmer areas, it in effect acts like a radiator, try it for yourself cast into it at night and bring some in feel how warm you will be surprised.

Now it all depends on the extent of the weed growth, if the weed is not to bad say rising a couple of foot off the bottom dont hessitate to cast a pva bag into it, if its at range use a smaller pva bag and also scale down you lead weight, so that the lead and pva bag contents are as close to the normal casting weight you use for range fishing as you can get, thread your hook lenght (short 6inch) through the bottom of the pva bag, put a small amount of bait in the bottom drop your lead in, fill the rest with bait, twist and pop holes in it to let out the air, wet the tab and twist around the lead tale leave to dry for a minute, you will be able to whack this as hard as you can and it will not come off.

If the weed growth is very bad and you dont feel confident in casting a pva bag into it then there is another option which i have used before to great effect, Get the spod rod out (if boats are not permited) buy a sack of hemp seed, will cost about £12.50 FOR A 15kg sack. cook the hemp up by boil for 25 mins untill it splits open, go down a pick a spot or two in the weed very close to where the fis are showing, but not ontop of them, spod in 5kg a couple of times at first then keep the spots topped up every couple of days with 3kg, do this for a week or ten days and the fish will have cleared a nice spot for you amongst the weed because as they forage for the hemp ripping up the bottom the will lossen and clear the area of weed and they will also keep visiting that area for some time afterwards, giving you a nice area to present a bait, whilst your doing this dont fish the spots just keep them topped up with hemp. This does take a bit of effort but you will get the rewards trust me.

As rgards the gravel bars the silt settles inbetween two bars not ontop of them, this is where fish will visit for bloodworm etc, try fishing in the deeper areas inbetween two bars.

Hope this helps, Tight lines.

Edited by merle24

This is a very frustrating situation i come across it myself on a local 18 acre park lake that i fish, The thing is with weed carp love it, its full of natural food bloodworm and crawlers so they naturaly visit these areas for food on a regular basis. Also weed retains heat, so at night when the surrounding water tempreture is dropping at night, fish are therefore drawn to these warmer areas, it in effect acts like a radiator, try it for yourself cast into it at night and bring some in feel how warm you will be surprised.

Now it all depends on the extent of the weed growth, if the weed is not to bad say rising a couple of foot off the bottom dont hessitate to cast a pva bag into it, if its at range use a smaller pva bag and also scale down you lead weight, so that the lead and pva bag contents are as close to the normal casting weight you use for range fishing as you can get, thread your hook lenght (short 6inch) through the bottom of the pva bag, put a small amount of bait in the bottom drop your lead in, fill the rest with bait, twist and pop holes in it to let out the air, wet the tab and twist around the lead tale leave to dry for a minute, you will be able to whack this as hard as you can and it will not come off.

If the weed growth is very bad and you dont feel confident in casting a pva bag into it then there is another option which i have used before to great effect, Get the spod rod out (if boats are not permited) buy a sack of hemp seed, will cost about £12.50 FOR A 15kg sack. cook the hemp up by boil for 25 mins untill it splits open, go down a pick a spot or two in the weed very close to where the fis are showing, but not ontop of them, spod in 5kg a couple of times at first then keep the spots topped up every couple of days with 3kg, do this for a week or ten days and the fish will have cleared a nice spot for you amongst the weed because as they forage for the hemp ripping up the bottom the will lossen and clear the area of weed and they will also keep visiting that area for some time afterwards, giving you a nice area to present a bait, whilst your doing this dont fish the spots just keep them topped up with hemp. This does take a bit of effort but you will get the rewards trust me.

As rgards the gravel bars the silt settles inbetween two bars not ontop of them, this is where fish will visit for bloodworm etc, try fishing in the deeper areas inbetween two bars.

Hope this helps, Tight lines.

thanks for the reply i think may try small pva bags but the weed is real think dense strands which i would say is about 6 foot off the bootom in 10 foot off water,just not sure i feel cofident about it ,it frustrating cause fish where boshing over the weed all night .so once the bag has melted you think the hook point should be clear .

whould you suggest fishing partical ,corn or hemp or tigers instead of boille.

i like the idea of fishing between 2 bars cause the swim i fish and the 1 oppersite ther is 2 bars and a drop between the 2 of 20 yards but every 1 wants to fish the bars but you suggest fishing between them is that right

thanks for all replys everyone

If it is that thick blanket weed that sticks to everything like shit to a blanket then I personnally would do more than just bag my baits and hope for the best.

Once the bag melts, the constant movement of water, attention of small fish and any slight pull will feck up your presentation big time.....its allmost a waste of time.

In that stuff (and this is just my very humble opinion) you have got to reach for the spod rod, a nice BIG bucket of mixed particles (15-20 kg +) and 4 or 5 kilos of boiled baits and just un-load on the spot.............let the fish do the rest, after a few sessions doing this they will clear the spot for you.

In the weed that stands up in long strands off the bottom of the lake (the sort with a stalk and small leafs coming off it)......then again, a good application of bait but dont worry so much about fishing right in amongst it........just make sure your hook point is covered with pva on the cast.

Fish will have no problem whatso ever in picking up amongst this stuff.

Dont be afraid of this type of weed, get stuck right into it.........they love it!

Holes in pads, just fish with a bag and your normal freebys, and again, dont worry about it.

Ok mate, i have had lots of fish chucking into the weed will stringers or pva bags, but i have also lost alot of fish doing this, there is one very important point and that is that you must make sure that your lead with drop off the clip with the slightest of pressure, it is amazing really what a difference ditching the lead makes, the fish seem to come straight to the top and over the weed instead of straight through it.

Know you say the weed is thick and tall and it can be a bit risky casting staight into it, not just for our confidence but also for the safty of our quarry, i would personaly go with the hemp partical option, keep plugging away a couple of weedy spots with the spod the fish will clear the area there will be tench carp bream and roach hacking away at it clearing the area, i say a couple of spot for a few reasons, 1. because you can not always guarentee to get the swim you want, 2. because fish maynot be around that area on certain winds, conditions etc so spread the two spots apart to cover this.

At the end od the day doing this is not only clearing an area in the weed but its also creating a feeding area for fish so its a win win situation, when spodding dont bother to much with accuracy just stand in the same spot and aim for a far bank marker tree or bench etc, clip up if you must i dont bother you will get the feel for the distance, you dont need a big spod rod for this just a decent test curve fishing rod and a medium sized spod, 20lb dewia sensa will be sound as a shock leader you only need 4 turns of it on your reel plus a 3 foot drop from the tip, just keep hitting the spots with hemp and particles mate you will reep the rewards for you effort, its alot easier to chuck a pva bag into the weed but you wont get the same results, it depends how much effort you are prepaired to put in to catch the carp you want.

Edited by merle24
If it is that thick blanket weed that sticks to everything like shit to a blanket then I personnally would do more than just bag my baits and hope for the best.

Once the bag melts, the constant movement of water, attention of small fish and any slight pull will feck up your presentation big time.....its allmost a waste of time.

In that stuff (and this is just my very humble opinion) you have got to reach for the spod rod, a nice BIG bucket of mixed particles (15-20 kg +) and 4 or 5 kilos of boiled baits and just un-load on the spot.............let the fish do the rest, after a few sessions doing this they will clear the spot for you.

In the weed that stands up in long strands off the bottom of the lake (the sort with a stalk and small leafs coming off it)......then again, a good application of bait but dont worry so much about fishing right in amongst it........just make sure your hook point is covered with pva on the cast.

Fish will have no problem whatso ever in picking up amongst this stuff.

Dont be afraid of this type of weed, get stuck right into it.........they love it!

Holes in pads, just fish with a bag and your normal freebys, and again, dont worry about it.

i am very willing to put the effot in cuase i have fished runs waters and caught decent fish but i want to catch fish which is more of a task ,something i have to work for,

i think the weed id candian pondweed so will have to put some partical on the spot during the week and in the mean time put a bag among the weed and one just off it until a spot has cleared ,iam very gratefull of your help and well keep you informed .ie next weekend ok but lets keep on the carp .

ps i place my lead in the clip and only a little way and just pva the end so on any take the lead will free itself but thanks again